As of 2023, Wii is still one of the most popular gaming consoles in the world. It was the all-time fifth best-selling home gaming console, having sold more than 101 million units until it was surpassed by Nintendo Switch in 2021. Still holding a spot on the list at number 7, Wii has outperformed many of its competitors even after spending 16 years in the market. You can still play many of the Wii games, including the legendary Wii sports, but it can be tough if you do not know how to hook up Wii to TV. If you are someone who wants to know how to hook up Wii to Samsung smart TV or any smart TV, you are at the right place. We bring you a helpful guide that will teach you how to hook up Wii to smart TV.
How to Hook Up Wii to Smart TV
If your smart TV is newer than your Wii and you are worried that all your progress in The Legend of Zelda will be lost, this guide is for you. If you want to know how to hook up Wii to smart TV, follow one of the methods given below.
How to Hook Up Wii to Smart TV?
There are many ways to connect your Wii to your smart TV. So if you are worried that your TV does not have the right, and you don’t know how to hook up Wii to smart TV, you can try one of these methods:
One end of the default cable is a proprietary connector that connects solely to the Wii, while the other end is a simple RCA cable. Connect your Wii using the default cable is simple, just follow these steps:
1. Connect one end of the default Wii cable to the Wii.
2. Attach the other end of the cable to your TV. Match the color of the connector with the color of the connection points on the TV.
Note: Red and white cables are for audio and yellow cable is for video.
3. Once the cables are connected, turn on the console.
4. Then, switch your TV’s input to TV or AV.
Note: If you do not have TV or AV in your TV input options, then it could be labeled something else. Some common alternative names to look for are Input, Input Select, EXT, and AUX.
Also Read: Does Best Buy Fix Wii Consoles?
You can use an AV to VGA converter to connect your TV to your Wii. This makes it simple to connect to smart TVs and desktops that do not support AV cables. To connect your Wii to your TV using VGA cables:
1. Connect one end of the default Wii cable to the Wii.
2. Attach the other end to the AV to VGA converter.
3. Then, join the AV to VGA converter to a VGA cable.
4. Now, connect the VGA cable to your desktop or smart TV.
5. Turn on your smart TV or desktop and change your input to VGA.
Note: VGA monitors do not allow the audio transfer, so you have to find a separate audio output. Most AV to VGA adapters come with a 3.5 mm female connector to connect to headphones or speakers.
Component Video Cable is an effective and inexpensive way to hook up your Wii to your smart TV. Follow the steps below to connect your Wii using a component video cable:
1. Attach the rectangular plug of the Component video cable to the AV out of the Wii.
2. Connect the cable’s other end to the TV. Connect the red and white audio jacks to their respective red and white ports, and do the same for others.
Note: In the absence of a matching color code, read the labels of the port carefully.
- Red: Audio input right
- White: Audio input left (or Mono)
- Red: Pr/Cr (Red)
- Blue: Pb/Cb (Blue)
- Green: Y (Green)
Note: Make sure you insert the right cable in the right port.
3. After inserting the cables, turn on your smart TV and Wii.
4. Change your TV input to AV.
Note: Component Video Cables only transmit HD video and an additional audio cable has to be used to transmit audio. With most component cables a red and white wire is provided for audio.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi on Smart TV
Most new devices do not come with an S-video port, but if your smart TV does, it would be the way to go. To connect your Wii using an S-video cable, follow the steps given below:
1. Connect the S-video cable and red and white audio cable to your TV.
2. Then, connect the AV cables of the Wii to the S-video box.
3. Turn on your TV.
4. Change the TV input to S-video.
Note: In the absence of an option for S-video in your TV input options, you can try AV.
If your smart TV does not have the RCA connection points, and you are wondering: how to connect Wii to Samsung smart TV without AV, you can use a SCART connector. It works a lot like USB and can provide multiple connection options in the absence of an AV port. To connect your Wii using a SCART connector:
1. Attach the SCART connector to your smart TV.
2. Connect the other end of the connector to the three inputs (Red, White, and Yellow) on the default Wii cable.
3. Then, connect the cable to your Wii.
4. Turn on your Wii console.
Smart TVs these days do not come with additional connection ports. This makes connecting to consoles like Wii a hassle. But you can easily solve this problem by using a Wii to HDMI adapter. This method not only helps you to connect easily to a smart TV but improves the quality of the image significantly. If you want to know how to connect Wii to Samsung smart TV without AV, try this method.
To connect your Wii using HDMI cables, follow the steps below:
1. Connect one end of the HDMI adapter to the Wii.
2. Join the other end of that to an HDMI cable.
Note: Make sure you use a long HDMI cable, preferably 5-6ft.
3. Then, attach the HDMI cable to your TV.
4. Turn on your console and your TV.
5. Change your TV input to HDMI.
Now you can easily enjoy your Wii games on your TV.
Also Read: Component vs Composite Cables: What is the Difference?
Why Can’t I Connect My Nintendo Wii to My TV?
Chances are that you will not be able to connect your Wii to your smart TV. This could be because of many reasons, such as:
- Poor Connection: One of the reasons why your Wii doesn’t connect to your smart TV even after trying various methods could be because of a poor connection. Check if there is any interference with your Wi-Fi, or if the location of your router is far from your Wii. Rectify the problem and plug your Wii back into your smart TV.
- Improper Settings: It is impossible to connect your Wii to your TV if your settings are incorrect. When connecting your Wii to your smart TV using any of the methods above, you may forget to change your settings, and that could be the reason why your Wii does not connect. Ensure that your TV settings are correct. If you are using an adapter to connect your Wii to your smart TV, then change the TV input as per the adapter.
- Incorrect Cable: Even the newer versions of Wii are only compatible with a few types of external connectors. So, if you are unable to connect your Wii to your smart TV, try using one of the methods mentioned above.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can you hook up a Wii to a TV without AV cables?
Ans. Yes, you can hook up a Wii to a TV without AV cables. It can be difficult to connect a Wii without an AV cable but follow the methods above, and you can connect it easily.
Q2. Can you connect an old Wii to a smart TV?
Ans. Yes, you can. Almost all new smart TVs come with audio and video inputs. You can purchase an adapter for your old Wii that lets you connect it using an HDMI cable.
Q3. Will Nintendo Wii work on any TV?
Ans. It depends. Check what Inputs Your TV Supports. A Nintendo Wii only comes with an AV Multi Out port. If your TV has a composite video input, your Wii will not connect to it. If you are using a newer model of Wii then you will be able to connect using HDMI cables.
Q4. What TV does Wii look best on?
Ans. The Nintendo Wii looks the best on old HD CRT TVs.
We hope that with the help of this guide, you were able to learn how to hook up Wii to smart TV. You can drop your queries and topic suggestions for future articles in the comments section below.