If you’re an Android user, you know how frustrating it can be when your favorite apps stop working. WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps in the world, and when it stops working, it can be a major inconvenience. Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to try and fix the issue. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the most common causes of WhatsApp not working on Android and how to fix them. We’ll also provide some tips to help you prevent this issue from happening in the future.
Fix WhatsApp Stopped Working Today on Android
1. Restart your device: Restarting your device can often fix minor software issues.
2. Update WhatsApp: Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your device.
3. Clear the app cache: Clearing the app cache can help resolve any issues caused by corrupted data.
4. Reinstall WhatsApp: If all else fails, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the app.
5. Check your internet connection: Make sure you have a stable internet connection.
WhatsApp is one of the most used applications nowadays. It has an excellent way to text, call, and share photos & media content with your friends and relatives. Like other internet applications, WhatsApp does have some errors. Sometimes, you may be popped up with Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped error prompts, which is very frustrating. WhatsApp is one of the apps which you do not pass your day without using it. So, facing such kinds of errors is an undesirable situation. But, don’t worry! This guide will help you fix WhatsApp stopped working today issue with simple and effective troubleshooting steps. Before you start, go through the reasons that cause this issue. This enables you to get an idea about the seriousness of the problem.
How to Fix WhatsApp Stopped Working Today on Android
Here are some reasons that contribute to WhatsApp has stopped working issue.
- The network connection is not stable
- The WhatsApp server is down
- You have not enabled background data, hence the app does not work when you turn on battery saver mode
- Proper permissions are not granted on WhatsApp
- Corrupt WhatsApp cache and data
- There is not enough space on your Android
- Malware, bugs, or virus attack
- Outdated app and Android OS
- Software bugs
- Gmail account is invalid or hacked
When you face the problem, you might not directly reinstall the app. Here are some amazing simple hacks that will help you fix Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped issue at ease.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. The said steps were performed on the Redmi phone.
Method 1: Restart WhatsApp
This is the simplest method to fix WhatsApp has stopped working today issue. Closing the app and re-opening it will help to solve the issues immediately. Follow the below-mentioned steps to restart WhatsApp.
1. Close the WhatsApp app.
2. Then, go to Home screen and open the recently opened applications.
3. Now, tap the X icon corresponding to WhatsApp.
4. Reopen WhatsApp and check if you face the issue again.
Method 2: Reboot Android
If you still face Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped prompt, even after restarting the app, then you must check when you restarted your phone last time. If your phone has been restarted for a very long time, you have to consider restarting your Android. Follow the below-mentioned steps to restart your Android.
1. Press the Power button on your device.
2. Tap the Reboot option or Power off option.
Note: If you tap the Power off option, you have to hold your Power button again to restart your phone.
3. Once your Android restarts, check if you were able to access WhatsApp without any issues.
Also Read: How to Change Font Style in WhatsApp
Method 3: Troubleshoot Network Connection
If you do not have a stable internet connection, you will end up with several issues like WhatsApp has stopped working today. In addition to the delays in messaging service, other similar conflicts can be resolved by ensuring that you have turned on your data connection as instructed below.
1. Tap the Settings icon on the Home Screen.
2. Now, tap the SIM cards & mobile networks option as shown.
3. Then, toggle on the Mobile data option.
4. If you want to use a roaming network when you are out of your geographic location, tap Advanced settings as depicted.
Note: The international data roaming service may cost you extra.
5. Now, tap International roaming and select Always as shown.
6. Now, tap on Data roaming.
7. Next, tap Turn on if you are prompted.
Now, check if you were able to fix WhatsApp not opening issue.
Method 4: Verify WhatsApp Server Status
If you have a stable network connection and restarted your device and app but still facing WhatsApp has stopped working issue, you must check the server status. You can check whether the server is active or down by visiting some official sites like Downdetector. Follow as instructed to fix Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped error.
1. Navigate to the official site of Downdetector.
2. You must receive User reports indicate no current problems at Whatsapp message.
2A. If you receive the same message, then there are no server-side errors. Follow the methods discussed in this article to fix WhatsApp working issue.
2B. If you monitor any unusual messages, then you have to wait until it is resolved.
Also Read: How to use WhatsApp without a Phone Number
Method 5: Enable Background Data
Despite turning on mobile data, you must turn on background data usage to ensure your phone makes use of internet connection even in data saver mode. Follow as instructed WhatsApp stopped working today issue.
1. Go to the Settings app.
2. Then, tap on Apps.
3. Then, tap on Manage apps followed by WhatsApp as shown.
4. Then, tap on Restricted data usage.
5. Now, Select both Wi-Fi and Mobile data (SIM 1) and Mobile data (SIM 2) if applicable.
6. Finally, tap OK.
Method 6: Force Close WhatsApp
The Force close of WhatsApp is different from restarting it. When you force close your app, all the processes and data will be forcibly shut down leading to data loss. Yet, all the background tasks will be closed fixing Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped issue.
1. Launch the Settings app.
2. Now, tap on Apps.
3. Then, tap on Manage apps and next WhatsApp.
4. Then, tap on Force stop.
5. Finally, if you are prompted, tap OK as shown.
Now, relaunch WhatsApp and check if you can fix WhatsApp working issue or not.
Also Read: How to Export WhatsApp Chat as PDF
Method 7: Turn Off Battery Saving Mode
The battery saver features in your Android device will help you save the battery with limited operations of services, sensors, and apps. If you have enabled the battery saver option on your device, network connection, Gmail and other heavy resource-consuming apps may be turned off. This may lead to the discussed issue on WhatsApp. Hence, you are advised to turn off the battery-saving mode in your device as instructed below.
1. Pull down the Notification drawer on your Android device.
2. Now, check if the Battery saver setting is turned off. If it is turned on, tap on it to turn it off.
Once you have ensured the battery saver option is turned off, check if the discussed issue is fixed or not.
Method 8: Allow All Permissions
Some features of WhatsApp will resist opening when you do not grant adequate permissions. Make sure you have to enable all the permissions for the app as instructed below to fix WhatsApp stopped working today issue.
1. Tap on the Settings app.
2. Next, tap on Apps and then tap Manage apps.
3. Now, tap on WhatsApp as shown.
4. Next, tap App permissions.
5. Then, check if you have granted permission for WhatsApp under the ALLOWED menu.
6. If you find some pending permissions under NOT ALLOWED LIST, then tap that option.
Note: The SMS permission is shown as an example.
7. Then, tap ALLOW option.
Check if you can fix WhatsApp stopped working issue.
Also Read: How to Use Two WhatsApp in One Android Phone
Method 9: Toggle ON WhatsApp Sync
Some users have confirmed that enabling the WhatsApp sync option helped them to fix WhatsApp has stopped working issue. Here are a few instructions to enable WhatsApp sync on your Android device.
1. Tap the Settings icon to open the app.
2. Now, tap on Accounts & sync.
3. Now, toggle on the Auto-sync data option and tap on the Sync option next to WhatsApp as shown.
Now, your WhatsApp data will be synced. Check if you can fix WhatsApp not working issue or not.
Method 10: Remove WhatsApp Cache
When you come across WhatsApp stopped working today issue, you must clear the cache and data of the app. Although cache saves frequently used information, over days they cause some troubles that can only be fixed by clearing them. Follow the below-mentioned steps to remove the WhatsApp cache and fix Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped error.
1. Navigate to Home Screen and tap the Settings icon.
2. Then, tap on Apps.
3. Now, tap on Manage apps > WhatsApp.
4. Next, tap on Storage.
5. Then, tap Clear data and then, Clear cache as shown.
6. Please tap Clear all data when you want to delete all the WhatsApp data.
Finally, check if you can fix WhatsApp not working on Android issue.
Also Read: 26 Best Bulk WhatsApp Marketing Software
Method 11: Update WhatsApp
Plenty of users have reported that updating WhatsApp will help you fix Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped issue. Follow the below-mentioned instructions to update WhatsApp.
1. Navigate to your Home Screen and tap Play Store.
2. Now, search Whatsapp in the search field.
3A. If you see an update available, tap the Update option as shown.
3B. If you see the app is already updated, skip to the next troubleshooting methods.
4. Wait until your app gets updated and check if you have fixed WhatsApp stopped working Android issue.
Method 12: Update Android OS
Apart from updating your WhatsApp, you must check whether you are using Android in its updated version. If you are using an older version of your mobile, you have to check if there is an update available and follow the on-screen instructions to update the same.
Follow and implement the steps in our guide to upgrade your Android OS as instructed in our guide 3 Ways to Check for Updates on your Android Phone to fix WhatsApp stopped working today issue.
After updating Android OS, check if you can fix WhatsApp not working problem.
Method 13: Free Android Space
When you do not have adequate space on your Android, you will face Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped issue. When memory is very low, you cannot open apps like WhatsApp. Follow the below-mentioned steps to free Android space.
1. Open File Manager on your Android device.
2. Now, tap the three-lined icon at the top left of the screen.
3. Now, tap Deep clean as shown.
4. Now, tap Clean now corresponding to the category through which you want to free some space.
5. Now, select all the unnecessary files and tap Delete selected files as depicted.
6. Now, confirm the prompt by tapping OK and reboot your phone. Then, check if you were able to use WhatsApp without any issues.
Also Read: How to Transfer old WhatsApp chats to your new Phone
Method 14: Clear WhatsApp Media
If clearing phone storage does not help you, you can try clearing WhatsApp media from every chat if they occupy too much internal space on your device. Follow the below-mentioned steps to clear WhatsApp media. This will help you fix WhatsApp stopped working today issue.
1. Open WhatsApp and tap the three-dotted icon at the top corner.
2. Next, choose Settings.
3. Next, tap Storage and data.
4. Now, tap on Manage storage.
5. Select any chat that has high data usage.
6. Here, check the Select all box.
7. Once you have chosen the files to be deleted, tap the Trash icon.
8. Repeat these steps to delete media from all the chats if they seem to be unnecessary.
Method 15: Re-add Conflicting Google Account
Sometimes, when your Gmail account is hacked or invalid, you will face WhatsApp has stopped working issue. When your Gmail does not work normally, log out or remove the corresponding Google account from your device and re-add it as instructed below.
1. Launch Settings on your device.
2. Scroll down the Settings screen and tap Accounts & sync as shown.
3. Now, tap on Google followed by the More option as depicted.
4. Now, tap on Remove account at the bottom of the screen and confirm any prompt.
5. Finally, add your Gmail account to your device again and check if you fix the WhatsApp stopped working issue.
Also Read: How to Check if someone is Online on Whatsapp without going Online
Method 16: Run Malware Scan
If there are any malicious files or bugs in your device you will face WhatsApp stopped working today issue. Ensure you have recently installed any APK files or downloaded any new apps. If yes, uninstall the apps and check if you have fixed the issue. You can also try installing an antivirus app and run a malware scan to ensure your device is safe or not.
Read our guide 10 Best Free Antivirus Software for Android to get an idea about which app to choose and how to use it. Here are a few instructions to run a malware scan on Android using a third-party application.
1. Open the Play Store on your Android mobile.
2. Now, search for any antivirus software as depicted.
3. Then, tap the Install button.
4. Wait for the installation to be completed and tap Open to launch the app.
Note: The steps to scan your Android device may vary depending upon the software you use. Here, Avast Antivirus – Scan & Remove Virus, Cleaner is taken as an example. Follow the steps according to your software.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions within the app and choose either Advanced protection (needs subscription) or Basic protection (free).
6. Then, tap START SCAN.
7. In the next prompt, allow the permission prompt to scan your files within the device.
Note: In this app, if you have denied this access, only your apps and settings will be scanned and not your corrupt files.
8. Wait until the app scans your device completely and once done, resolve the risks found by following the on-screen instructions.
This will remove the corrupt files or threats from your Android device and so the WhatsApp not working issue will be resolved now.
Also Read: Remove Android Viruses Without a Factory Reset
Method 17: Reinstall WhatsApp
If none of the methods have helped you fix WhatsApp has stopped working issue, then this means, there is something wrong with the app. One solution you can try is to reinstall the app. If your app is corrupt, uninstalling and reinstalling it will be very helpful. This process will clear all the WhatsApp media.
To back up and restore your WhatsApp data, follow our guide on How to Transfer old WhatsApp chats to your new Phone. If you have backed up your data, follow the below-mentioned steps to reinstall WhatsApp.
1. Go to Play Store as you did earlier and search WhatsApp.
2. Now, tap Uninstall as shown.
3. Wait until the app is completely uninstalled from your Android. Then, again search for WhatsApp and tap Install.
4. Once, your app has been installed on your device, tap Open as depicted.
5. Finally, restore your data and check if you can fix the WhatsApp not working issue.
Method 18: Factory Reset Android Device
After implementing all the above-listed methods Unfortunately WhatsApp has stopped issue, try a factory reset of your Android. This will put your phone to its factory settings and you will not face any issues further.
Note: Before your factory reset your Android, you have to back up all of your data. If you do not know how to back up your Android, follow our guide to Back Up Your Android Phone Data.
To factory reset your mobile, read and implement the steps in our guide How To Hard Reset Any Android Device.
Also Read: 3 Ways To Disable Whatsapp Calling
Method 19: Contact WhatsApp Support
If WhatsApp stopped working today even after reinstalling, then you have to contact the WhatsApp support team to resolve the issue. You are advised to contact official WhatsApp support. This support team helps you resolve issues associated not only with personal WhatsApp but also with Business WhatsApp accounts too.
You can drop your query by giving some mandatory details like Phone Number, Email Address and typing your problem. As a next step, WhatsApp suggests you a list of its articles according to the problem you have submitted.
We hope that this guide was helpful and that you have learned how to fix WhatsApp stopped working today issue on Android. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Let us know which topic you want us to explore next.
Fix WhatsApp Stopped Working Today on Android
Are you facing the issue of WhatsApp stopped working today on your Android device? Don’t worry, you are not alone. Many Android users have reported this issue and it can be easily fixed. Here are some simple steps to help you get your WhatsApp back up and running.
Step 1: Check Your Internet Connection
The first step is to check your internet connection. Make sure that you have a stable and strong connection. If you are using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to a mobile data connection or vice versa. If the issue persists, move on to the next step.
Step 2: Restart Your Device
If the issue is still not resolved, try restarting your device. This will help clear any temporary files or settings that may be causing the issue. To restart your device, press and hold the power button for a few seconds until the device shuts down. Then, turn it back on and try using WhatsApp again.
Step 3: Clear Cache and Data
If the issue is still not resolved, try clearing the cache and data of the WhatsApp app. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > WhatsApp > Storage > Clear Cache and Clear Data. This will reset the app and may help resolve the issue.
Step 4: Update WhatsApp
If the issue is still not resolved, try updating the WhatsApp app. To do this, go to the Google Play Store and search for WhatsApp. If there is an update available, install it and try using WhatsApp again.
Step 5: Uninstall and Reinstall WhatsApp
If the issue is still not resolved, try uninstalling and reinstalling the WhatsApp app. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > WhatsApp > Uninstall. Then, go to the Google Play Store and search for WhatsApp. Install the app and try using it again.
If you are facing the issue of WhatsApp stopped working today on your Android device, try following the steps above. These steps should help you get your WhatsApp back up and running. If the issue persists, contact the WhatsApp support team for further assistance.