Right after the launch of the Twitch website, it has continued to gain a lot of users and followers owing to the variety of media content in the community. One of the features that contributed to the huge success of the website is the chat facility. However, what if you face an error that says Twitch chat not working while you are streaming your favorite channel? The Twitch chat may be down and you may not be able to use the chat features to chat with your followers or friends on the channel. You can easily fix the Twitch unable to connect to chat issue if you are well aware of the reason for this issue. These might be due to temporary glitches on the streaming browser or streaming device. This article discusses the methods to fix the Twitch chat down issue on your Windows PC.
How to Fix Twitch Unable to Connect to Chat
The reasons why the Stream Chat feature may not work on the Twitch website are described below in this section.
- Internet Connectivity Issues- The speed of the Internet Connection to which the Windows PC is connected may be weak to support the Twitch website.
- Browser-related issues- There might be issues on the web browser you are using like web extensions or cache. The IRC channel may get interrupted by such tools and services.
- An Issue with Proxy and VPN service- The VPN service and Proxy on your PC may treat the Twitch website as a threat and you may not be able to use the website,
- Page Script Execution Error- The page script is required to retrieve the IRC session of the Twitch website. If there is an error in executing the page script of the website, you may face this error.
In this section, you will come through some common troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Twitch chat not working. Follow them in the same order to attain perfect results.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
To fix the error with the chat on the Twitch platform, you can try implementing the basic troubleshooting methods listed here.
1A. Refresh Web Page
As a first method to fix the Twitch unable to connect to chat problem, you can refresh the webpage on which you have opened the Twitch website. To do so, you can either click on the reload icon at the top-left corner of the webpage, or press the Ctrl+ R keys at the same time to reload the page.
1B. Check Internet Connection
The next method is to check if the speed of your Internet connection is sufficient enough to support the Twitch website. As the Twitch website has a lot of media content, you have to use an Internet Connection that has a minimum speed of 5 Mbps.
1. Launch the Google Chrome app using the windows search bar at the bottom-left corner.
2. Open the Speedtest website and click on the GO button to check the speed of the Internet Connection.
If the speed of the Internet Connection is less than the minimum required speed, you can either:
- Alter the plan of the Wi-Fi Network plan, or
- Connect your Windows PC to another Wi-Fi Network using the ACTION CENTER.
1C. Restart Router
An option to fix the Twitch chat down issue is to solve the glitches on the Wi-Fi router and clear the issues on the Internet Connection, you can restart the router.
1. Find the Power button at the back of your router/modem.
2. Press the button once to turn it off.
3. Now, disconnect the Router/Modem power cable and wait until the power is entirely drained from the capacitors.
4. Then, reconnect the power cable and switch it on after a minute.
5. Wait until the network connection is re-established and try signing in again.
1D. Switch Web Browser
The next method you can try to solve the Twitch unable to connect to chat error is to use an alternative web browser on your Windows PC. You can use the windows search bar to use any other web browser like Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
1E. Try Incognito Mode (In Google Chrome)
A method to fix the Twitch chat not working error while using the Google Chrome web browser is to use the Incognito mode on the browser. This would disable all the web extensions and clear history on the app and help in streaming on the Twitch website without any glitch. Use the link given here to learn how to open the Incognito mode in the Google Chrome app.
1F. Check Twitch Servers
Another common reason for which the error in using the chat can occur on the Twitch platform is server maintenance. You can view the status of the Twitch Servers on your default web browser and check if the issue is with the Twitch platform.
1G. Re-Login to Twitch Account
You can try logging out of your Twitch account and re-logging in to fix the error.
1. Open the Google Chrome app from the Windows Search bar.
2. Visit the Twitch website, click on the Profile icon at the top-right corner, and click on the Log Out option.
3. Re-launch the Google Chrome app using the search bar and open the Twitch website.
4. Click on the Log In button at the top-right corner.
5. In the Log In tab, enter the Twitch account credentials and click on the Log In button.
Also Read: How to Fix Chrome Ran Out of Memory
1H. Allow Cookies in Twitch
To fix the Twitch unable to connect to chat error, you have to allow the cookies on the Twitch platform or the Google Chrome app.
1. Open the Google Chrome app.
2. Navigate to the Twitch website and click on the lock option next to the URL address.
3. Click on the Cookies option to show the Cookies in use window.
4. Move to the Blocked tab, select the cookies individually, and click on the Allow button.
5. Click on the Done button after all the cookies are enabled.
6. Click on the Reload button to reload the Twitch website after the changes are made.
1I. Disable Browser Extensions
You can disable the web extensions on the Google Chrome app to fix the Twitch chat down error on the Twitch website.
1. Launch the Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots as done in the previous method.
2. Click on More tools and then select Extensions.
3. Turn off the toggle for unused extensions. Here, Google Meet Grid View is taken as an example.
Note: If the web extension is not essential, you can delete them by clicking on the Remove button.
Also Read: Fix AdBlock Not Working on Twitch
1J. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Another option to fix the Twitch unable to connect to chat error is to clear all the cached data and cookies on the Google Chrome browser. This would reduce the lag time in loading the Twitch webpage. Use the link provided here to know how to clear the browser cached data and cookies.
1K. Disable VPN and Proxy Servers
Another possible reason for the Twitch chat not working error on the Twitch website may be due to the VPN service or proxy you are using on your PC. To fix this issue, you can implement the steps given in the link here to disable VPN and proxy server on Windows 10 on your PC.
1L. Change DNS Setting
Sometimes, the DNS or the Domain Name System of your Windows PC may be the reason for this error. You can use the link given here to change the DNS setting on your PC to fix the issue.
1M. Reset DNS Cache
Another option to fix the error is to reset the DNS cache on your Windows PC to its default settings. Using the link given here, you can know the method to reset the DNS cache on your PC.
Method 2: Collapse and Re-extend Chat Panel
Another basic fix to solve the Twitch unable to connect to chat issue is to fix the glitch on the chat window. You can try to collapse and re-extend the chat panel on the Twitch website.
1. Open the Twitch website and stream the channel you would like to watch.
2. Click on the Collapse button on the STREAM CHAT panel.
3. Click on the Expand button to re-expand the chat panel on the Twitch website.
Also Read: Fix Twitch Resource Format Not Supported
Method 3: Use Popout Chat Feature
If you cannot use the chat panel on the channel on your Twitch website, you can use the Popout chat window.
1. Navigate to the Twitch website and stream any channel on the website.
2. Click on the Chat Settings option in the STREAM CHAT panel.
3. Click on the Popout Chat option in the list displayed.
4. You can see the STREAM CHAT pop up to the next window on the browser.
Method 4: Disable GIF Emotes
Another possible reason for the Twitch chat down error can be the animated or GIF emotes in the chat. Since these are media content that requires more graphics, the chat may get hanged. You can disable the GIF emotes completely to fix the Twitch unable to connect to chat error.
1. Open the Google Chrome web browser.
2. Go to the Twitch website and stream any channel.
3. Click on the Chat Settings option at the bottom-right corner of the chat window.
4. Click on the Chat Appearance option in the pop-up list.
5. Toggle Off the Emote Animations option to disable the GIF emotes.
Also Read: Fix Twitch Leecher Download Error
Method 5: Whitelist Twitch Website
If the Twitch chat not working error is caused while streaming the website on the web browser, you can check the settings of the web extension, AdBlock. While using the AdBlock extension, the Twitch website may be added to the rejected list. You can fix this error by following any of the two methods:
Option I: Disable AdBlock Web Extension
You can temporarily disable the AdBlock web extension by following the steps to disable the web extensions as explained earlier.
Option II: Add Twitch Website to Whitelist
You can add the Twitch website to the whitelist on the AdBlock extension.
1. Visit the Twitch website and click on the Extensions option at the top bar.
2. Click on the AdBlock – best ad blocker extension.
3. Click on the Always button on the Pause on this site section to add the Twitch website to the allowlist.
Method 6: Use Twitch App
If you are facing the Twitch unable to connect to chat issue while using the website, you can alternatively use the Twitch Windows dedicated app. This would allow all the functionalities and you can fix the error easily.
1. Launch the Google Chrome app.
2. Open the official website of the Twitch app and click on the Download button.
3. Double-click on the downloaded file to run the Twitch executable file.
4. Click on the Install button and click on the Yes button to give administrative privileges.
5. Click on the Next button on the on-screen instructions and click on the Finish button on the final window.
Also Read: How to Fix 2000 Network Error on Twitch
Method 7: Contact Twitch Support
As a final resort to know how to fix the issue, you can contact the support team of the Twitch community. Use the link on your default web browser, provide the required details on the fields and address the error to them. You should receive a reply email within a week describing the solutions and causes for the error.
The methods to fix Twitch unable to connect to chat issue are described in the article. Please let us know which of these methods worked to fix the Twitch chat down issue in the comments section. Please feel free to drop your suggestions and queries on the same in the comments as well.