Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) is a secure way to transfer files between two computers over the internet. It is a great way to securely connect to your WordPress site and manage files on the server. In this guide, we will show you how to use SFTP to connect to your WordPress site and manage files on the server. We will also discuss the advantages of using SFTP over other methods of file transfer. By the end of this guide, you will have a better understanding of how to use SFTP to securely connect to your WordPress site.
1. Log into your hosting account and open the cPanel.
2. Find the “Files” section and click on the “FTP Accounts” icon.
3. Create a new FTP account by entering a username and password.
4. Make sure to select the “SFTP” option from the drop-down menu.
5. Click “Create FTP Account” to save the new account.
6. Download and install an SFTP client on your computer.
7. Open the SFTP client and enter the FTP credentials you just created.
8. Connect to your WordPress site using the SFTP client.
9. You can now upload and download files from your WordPress site.
SFTP or Secure File Transfer Protocol (also known as SSH file transfer protocol), is a network protocol used for file transfers. It is a more secure method vs standard FTP (understand the difference between FTP and SFTP). We only support SFTP connections at Kinsta to ensure your data remains safe and encrypted. Follow the directions below on how to use SFTP to connect to your WordPress site.
How to Use SFTP to Connect to Your WordPress Site
The first thing you will need is an SFTP client. There are many free and premium ones to choose from, we recommend one of the following:
You will then need to configure your SFTP client with the following settings:
- Connection type: SFTP (not regular FTP)
- Address/URL/Hostname: Use your IPv4 Address.
Your web hosting provider should provide you with the information above. Typically this is located in your dashboard or an email. Kinsta provides this information to customers in the dashboard under WordPress Sites > sitename > Info.
How to Use SFTP Clients – Examples
Here are a couple examples of what using each SFTP client looks like.
SFTP Login With FileZilla Client
Some versions of Filezilla will default to FTP, so ensure that you select SFTP or type sftp://188.8.131.52. If you don’t you might see the following error.
SFTP Login With WinSCP Client
SFTP Login With FlashFXP Client
Get all your applications, databases and WordPress sites online and under one roof. Our feature-packed, high-performance cloud platform includes:
- Easy setup and management in the MyKinsta dashboard
- 24/7 expert support
- The best Google Cloud Platform hardware and network, powered by Kubernetes for maximum scalability
- An enterprise-level Cloudflare integration for speed and security
- Global audience reach with up to 35 data centers and 275 PoPs worldwide
Get started with a free trial of our Application Hosting or Database Hosting. Explore our plans or talk to sales to find your best fit.