Discord is a popular voice and text chat platform used for communication by gamers, communities, and businesses. It has a variety of features, such as voice calls, screen sharing, and live streaming, but the background noise can be distracting at times. Muting your microphone in Discord is a quick and easy way to avoid background noise during voice calls. In this article, we’ll guide you through how to mute mic in Discord on the desktop app, so you can have a smooth and uninterrupted voice chat experience. First, let’s see how to mute your mic on Discord with keyboard.
How to Mute Mic in Discord
With Discord’s user-friendly interface and straightforward mute options, you can easily control the audio coming from your device and ensure that your chats run smoothly. Remember to always unmute your microphone when you are ready to speak so that others can hear you. So, let’s learn how to do that easily on your Discord account.
How to Mute Your Mic on Discord with Keyboard?
You must communicate with other players while gaming. And the Discord app lets you use your microphone to do so. However, when the game is at its peak, the background noise can annoy players. This may cause them to become distracted. And your friends or other people on the voice channel may mute themselves as a result of this. To focus on a particular task, users frequently overlook the toggle mute. Furthermore, Discord offers a variety of keybinds that can be customized.
So, let’s see how to mute mic in Discord with the keyboard using your customized keybind. Here are the steps to mute your mic on Discord with the keyboard using a customized keybind:
Note: Discord does not allow setting keybinds on its mobile version of the app, so you have to use the desktop version to do it.
1. Open the Discord app on your PC.
2. Click on the cogwheel icon to access the User settings.
3. Scroll down and click on Keybinds from the left pane.
4. Click on the Add a Keybind option.
5. Click on the ACTION drop-down field to open the menu.
6. Select the Toggle Mute option.
7. Now, click on Record Keybind.
8. Press the desired combination of keys that you want to set to mute a channel in Discord.
Now, you can mute your mic whenever you want by pressing your set combination of keys on Discord. Look at the picture above, here we have set Ctrl + M as the desired combination. Therefore, it is this easy to mute your mic on Discord with keyboard.
Also Read: How to Unmute Players in Warzone
How to Mute Yourself on Discord While In Game on PC?
There are a number of reasons why you would want to mute yourself on Discord while playing, including:
- To eliminate background noise or other audio distractions from the game.
- To keep personal or private conversations from being overheard by others.
- To prevent unintentional sounds from bothering others on the voice channel.
- To protect your privacy, to prevent technical problems, and to keep your microphone muted while not speaking.
- To maintain a clean audio environment for everyone in the voice channel., it’s a good idea to silence yourself while you’re not speaking.
Now, to know how to mute yourself on Discord while gaming on PC, here are the steps to do it:
1. Open Discord and click on the Settings cogwheel icon, as shown.
2. Click on the Voice & Video tab from the left pane.
3. Click on the INPUT DEVICE drop-down field and select desired microphone device.
4. Turn on the Push to Talk feature by selecting the radio button for it.
5. Assign the desired keybind for Push to Talk by clicking on the field below the switch and pressing the desired key.
6. Start your game and press the assigned key to mute and unmute yourself in Discord.
Now, let’s check out how to mute and unmute on Discord using keyboard.
Also Read: Fix Discord Not Detecting Mic
How to Mute and Unmute on Discord Using Keyboard?
You have learned how to mute mic in Discord using keybinds and the Push to Talk and Toggle Mute options. Well, it is the same whether you mute your mic using any key or combination of keys you have set during the keybind process. Follow the above mentioned methods to do the same.
- To unmute, you simply have to press the exact key or combination of keys you have set again to unmute yourself and start talking with your friends, teammates, or anyone. To set your desired key to mute and unmute yourself you must precisely, follow the steps mentioned in the previous two sections and you will be able to set your desired keys as your mute or unmute keys while gaming, or while doing anything with Discord opened.
- If you like the Toggle mute option, then you can follow how to mute your mic on Discord with keyboard section of the article, and if you like the Pust to talk option, you can look at how to mute yourself while in game on PC section of the article.
There you go! You can now mute and unmute to keep personal or private conversations from being overheard by others, or prevent unintentional sounds from bothering others on the voice channel and enjoy your gaming hours with your buddies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is Discord also for kids?
Ans. Discord is a popular communication platform that is widely used by people of all ages, including children. However, it’s important to note that Discord is intended for users 13 years of age or older, according to their terms of service. Children under 13 should not use the platform without adult supervision.
Q2. Who is the owner of Discord?
Ans. Discord was founded by Jason Citron, Stan Vishnevskiy, and Cory Ondrejka in 2015.
Q3. Is there a monthly fee for Discord?
Ans. No monthly cost is required to use Discord. Voice and text chat are two of the platform’s core functions that can be accessed without charge. However, Discord Nitro, a paid subscription service, provides more features like access to a bigger game library, better screen sharing, and personalized emotes. It is not necessary to use Discord Nitro in order to use the platform.
Therefore, muting your microphone on Discord is a simple process that can be done in seconds. Whether you need to mute your microphone for privacy reasons or to reduce background noise, the steps outlined in this article will help you achieve that. And we hope that this article on how to mute mic in Discord has helped you in that regard comprehensively. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.