PlayStation 5 is a video gaming console by Sony which was released in 2020. This new PlayStation console has a brand-new user interface and some amazing features that match the current-generation gaming experience. However, even the new PS5 is not devoid of issues that are commonly experienced in new consoles. One of which is the blinking blue light PS5 which has been unfortunately encountered by a number of PlayStation users while playing games on the console. If you are someone dealing with the same issue then our today’s doc on why PS5 blinking blue light will help you a lot. We will be discussing some troubleshooting methods that can easily help you resolve blue light recurring on your console. So, let us get started with fixing this blue light of death right away.
On turning on the PS5 console, you may see blue light which keeps on blinking rendering the console not turning on normally. If you happen to face the same issue on your console then follow the below-mentioned feasible fixes to solve the issue.
Method 1: Ensure Proper Power Connection
The blue light indication can be your console’s way of telling you to check the power connection. You must check if the power cables are connected properly to your console. Also, don’t forget to clean your console while you are ensuring the power connection by following the steps below:
1. Disconnect the power cable from your console after turning it off.
2. Re-plug the cables back correctly into the console after a few seconds.
On reconnecting if the blue light issue persists, try using another power cable.
Method 2: Restart PS5 in Safe Mode
The next method to fix PS5 blinking blue light involves restarting PS5 in safe mode. It involves booting your console into safe mode first. It helps to resolve temporary glitches in your system that may be causing the blue light to blink. The following steps will guide you on how to boot PS5 in safe mode:
1. Turn off your console by pressing the power button on the front panel.
2. Next, press and hold the power button and release it after the second beep.
3. Now, connect your controller to the USB cable.
4. Click on the instruction to press the PS button on the controller on the screen.
5. Next, in the Safe Mode menu, select Restart PS5.
Once your PS5 console starts, the blue light issue shall be fixed.
Also Read: Fix PS4 Error CE 42555 1 Issue
Method 3: Ensure HDMI Connection
HDMI cable connection is usually used to connect PS5 to a display device such as a smart TV. To answer your question about how to fix PS5 blinking blue light, there might be something wrong with your HDMI cable connection. This issue might indicate blue light and no signal issue. You can ensure a proper HDMI connection by re-plugging the cable. If it does not work, you can also try replacing the cable with a new one. For more, move on to the next solution.
Method 4: Power Cycle PS5
In the next method of fixing the blinking blue light PS5, you will be attempting power cycling your PS5. Power cycling your console helps in clearing the system memory and in removing possible corrupt files that can trigger the blue light on your device. Performing a power cycle is safe as it does not remove your saved data, apps, files, games, and settings. To power cycle your PS5 console, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First, turn off your PS5 console completely.
2. Now, press and hold the power button of your PS5 console until you hear two beeps.
3. Next, unplug all the cables attached to the console including the HDMI cable.
4. Again, press and hold the power button of your console for a few seconds to drain its power completely.
5. Finally, reconnect all the unplugged cables back to the console and turn it on to check if the blue light issue has been fixed.
Also Read: Fix PS4 Error CE-34788-0
Method 5: Clear Cache and Rebuild Database
If you are wondering why PS5 blinking blue light was seen on your console then it’s one of the causes can also be cache files. Temporary cache files can become corrupt with time and slow down your device. To optimize your console and to run it faster without blinking any blue light, try to clear the cache and rebuild the database using the following steps:
1. Reboot your device in Safe Mode using the steps mentioned in Method 2 above.
2. Now that you are in safe mode, select Clear Cache and Rebuild Database option from its menu.
3. Select Rebuild Database next.
4. Once the database rebuild process is complete, go back to the safe mode menu and select Clear System Software Cache.
Once the steps are performed, restart your PS5 console and check if the blue light of death is fixed.
Method 6: Update Software Via Safe Mode
The next method to fix PS5 blinking blue light involves updating software via safe mode. This fix is necessary in case of an outdated software version that might interrupt with the proper functioning of your console. If you have a stable internet connection, move forward with the steps below to update the software via safe mode:
1. Follow the steps in Method 2 to boot your console in Safe Mode and open its menu.
2. Now, connect your PS5 controller via USB cable and select the third option in the menu, Update System Software.
3. Next, select Update Using Internet to install the latest software available.
4. Once the update is complete, reboot your console and check if the blue light issue has been resolved.
Also Read: Fix PS4 WiFi Proxy Server Error
Method 7: Restore Default Settings in Safe Mode
Safe mode of your PS5 console can resolve a number of technical glitches one of which is blue light. In case the settings of your PlayStation 5 have been changed or software is triggering the blue light blinking on your device then you can try restoring the default settings of the system in safe mode. This will restore all your settings and configurations to default without deleting your files and apps.
1. Launch Safe Mode as stated in Method 2.
2. Now, select the Restore Default Settings option from the safe mode menu.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process and check if the blue light has been fixed.
Method 8: Change Video Output of PS5
Next, in order to know how to fix PS5 blinking blue light, you must change the video output of your PS5 console. You can perform this method in safe mode without losing any data in the process. To change the video output, follow the instructions given below:
1. Boot your PlayStation 5 in Safe Mode using the steps in Method 2.
2. Connect your controller via the USB cable and select the second option from the menu, Change Video Output.
3. Next, go to Change HDCP Mode and set it to HDCP 1.4 Only.
4. Reboot the PS5 to check if the problem has been resolved.
5. If the blue light still persists, launch safe mode and select the Change Video Output option again.
6. Select Change Resolution and change it from Automatic to a lower resolution like 720p.
7. Finally, reboot the PlayStation 5 and check if it has solved the issue.
Method 9: Force Console to Troubleshoot Itself
You can also force your console to troubleshoot itself to resolve the blinking blue light PS5. This method does not require your console to go into safe mode and also keeps your apps and games intact.
1. Turn on your PS5 console.
2. Next, when the PS logo is displayed, unplug the console directly from the power outlet.
3. Now, after some time, plug it back and turn on the console. This will allow it to troubleshoot all minor issues including the blue light of death.
Method 10: Reset PS5
One of the last methods involves resetting your PS5 console to bring it back to its original state. This method is quite effective in fixing the blue light problem but will make you lose your apps and games. Performing this method will also delete your saved data. To reset your PS5 console, follow the steps listed below:
1. Turn off your PS5 and launch its Safe Mode menu by following Method 2 above.
2. Now, select the sixth option from the menu, Reset PS5.
3. On the next window, confirm to reset your PS5 console.
After the reset has been performed, the blue light of death will be fixed.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix PS4 Keeps Turning Off
Method 11: Contact Sony Support
The last method to attempt today in order to fix PS5 blinking blue light involves contacting Sony Support. This method is a last resort in case none of the solutions mentioned above helped you out in fixing the blue light on PS5. Also, being unable to resolve the blue light issue indicates that something is wrong with the hardware of your console which can only be fixed with some professional help from PlayStation Support.
The blue blinking light on the PS5 console usually indicates issues while booting up. On receiving the blue light, the display gets usually stuck on a black screen. This issue of blue light can result from the following reasons:
- Forced shutdown of the PS5 console.
- An old software version of PlayStation 5.
- Display problems like misconfigured resolution settings.
- Issues with HDMI cable connection.
- A corrupt hard drive on PS5.
We hope that our doc on blinking blue light PS5 was helpful in dealing with all your queries about blue light, reasons that trigger it, and multiple ways to fix it. Let us know about your thoughts, queries, and suggestions by leaving your comments below.