Procreate is a popular choice among artists because it provides a wide range of professional-grade tools and features in a user-friendly interface. However, procreate isn’t just for artists and professionals. You can use it too, and if you’re a beginner, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll show you how to fill color in procreate. Procreate can also help you tap into your inner creativity. Let us first define a procreate tool before diving into the other aspects of how to fill in procreate without going over lines.
How to Fill Color in Procreate
Here, you will get to know about Procreate app, how to use Paint bucket tool in Procreate and fill color in details.
What is Procreate?
Procreate is one of the most popular creative apps for iOS and iPad users that allows users to create digital paintings, sketches, and illustrations. It includes a wide range of professional-grade tools and features such as customizable brushes, advanced layering options, and the ability to work with multiple layers at once. Procreate is popular among digital artists and graphic designers as a powerful and easy-to-use tool for creating professional-quality artwork on the go. Further, will see how to fill color in procreate.
How to Use a Procreate Color Picker
To use the color picker in Procreate, here are the steps:
1. Select a coloring tool from the toolbar on the left side of the screen, such as the Brush tool or the Paint Bucket tool.
2. To choose a color, you can either tap one of the pre-defined colors at the bottom of the color picker or use the color wheel to select a custom color.
3. Tap and hold on to the screen to select any color you want.
4. If you want to save the color, long-tap the color palette icon.
5. If you want to select a custom color, you can use the following controls in the color picker:
- The color wheel allows you to choose the hue of the color.
- The slider on the right side of the color picker allows you to adjust the saturation of the color.
- The slider on the bottom of the color picker allows you to adjust the brightness of the color.
5. To close the color picker, tap the Done button in the top-right corner of the screen.
How to Use Paint Bucket Tool in Procreate
To use the Paint Bucket tool in Procreate, follow these steps:
1. Open the Layers menu and create a new layer. This is where you will apply the Paint Bucket tool.
2. Select the Paint Bucket tool from the toolbar on the left side of the screen.
3. In the color picker at the bottom of the screen, choose the color you want to use for the paint bucket fill.
4. Tap the area on your canvas where you want to apply the paint bucket fill. The Paint Bucket tool will then fill the area with the chosen color.
5. Then, tap the tool settings icon in the toolbar and use the slider to adjust the tolerance level.
Note: A higher tolerance will result in a wider range of colors being included in the fill, while a lower tolerance will be more selective.
6. Simply select the Eraser tool and erase the fill from the canvas if you want to remove the paint bucket fill.
Also Read: How to Factory Reset Apple Watch without Apple ID
How to Fill in Procreate Without Going Over Lines
There are two methods you can use to fill in colors without going over lines.
Method 1: Through Alpha Lock
The alpha lock method in Procreate allows you to fill in an area without going over the lines by locking the transparency of the pixels in that area. This method can be useful when you’re working with an image that has a lot of fine details or that is difficult to select using other methods. Here’s how it works:
1. Select the layer that you want to fill in.
2. Tap on the layer’s thumbnail to bring up the layer menu, then tap on Alpha Lock. This will lock the transparency of the pixels in the layer, preventing you from coloring outside of the existing lines or shapes.
3. Select the brush tool, and choose the color you want to use to fill in the area.
4. Paint over the area that you want to fill in. Since the transparency is locked, the brush tool will only color the areas that are visible and will not go over any lines or shapes.
5. After getting done, tap on the layer’s thumbnail again and tap on Alpha Lock to turn it off.
By using the alpha lock, you will be able to fill in an area while still preserving the lines or shapes that define it. This method is very helpful in situations where the edges are not clearly defined or when you want to add some details to existing shapes without disturbing them.
Method 2: Through Color Drop
Procreate allows you to quickly fill in an area without going over the lines by sampling a color from an existing area of the image and applying it to a new area. Follow the steps below for the same:
1. Select the brush tool, and choose the color you want to use as the base color.
2. With the brush tool selected press and hold on an area of the image that you want to sample. This will bring up the color drop tool.
3. Now, without lifting your finger, swipe left or right to adjust the size of the color dropper, then release your finger to select the area of the image that you want to sample.
4. After selecting an area, the brush will be automatically filled with the color of the selected area.
5. Now paint over the area that you want to fill in. The color will be automatically applied to the new area, and since you only selected the area’s color and not its transparency, the brush will respect the existing lines.
You can adjust the color as needed and repeat the process as many times as needed. The color drop method is a quick and easy way to fill in areas without going over the lines. It’s useful for situations where you want to copy the color of an existing area and use it to fill another area. This method can also be used to create subtle color variations in an image.
Also Read: Fix Procreate Fill Color Not Working
How to Use Procreate Color Fill Filling Whole Page
To use procreate color fill filling whole page with a solid color, follow these steps:
1. Select the Procreate Paint Bucket tool from the toolbar on the left side of the screen.
2. In the color picker at the bottom of the screen, choose the color you want to use for the fill.
3. Tap the layer you want to fill in the Layers menu on the right side of the screen.
4. Tap and hold your finger on the canvas until the Fill dialog appears.
5. In the Fill dialog, tap the Fill Layer button. This will fill the entire layer with the chosen color.
6. Tap the Fill Canvas button in the Fill dialog instead if you want to fill the entire canvas, rather than just a single layer.
Also Read: Best Procreate Alternatives
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is color fill filling the whole page in Procreate?
Ans. When you use the color fill feature in Procreate and select Fill Canvas, it will fill the entire canvas with the chosen color. This is because when you choose Fill Canvas, you’re telling Procreate to fill the entire visible area of the canvas, regardless of the active layer or selected area.
Q2. What is the color fill option?
Ans. The color fill option in Procreate is a feature that allows you to quickly fill an area of the canvas with a solid color. It can be accessed using the Paint Bucket tool, by tapping and holding on the canvas to open the fill dialog, and choosing the Fill Layer or Fill Canvas option.
Q3. What is the difference between fill and color?
Ans. While in Procreate, Color and Fill are closely related and work together, the color picker is used to choose the color and then the fill tool is used to apply it to the area you choose.
In the end, filling color in Procreate is a simple and straightforward process that allows artists to add a range of hues and tones to their compositions. We hope you understood how to fill color in Procreate. Please let us know your suggestions in the comment section below.