Canva is a free designing tool for graphic designers and other art lovers who love to create customized posts, presentations, videos, logos, and posters. If you don’t want to create something from scratch on Canva, you can also use available templates on the platform to create some amazing stuff. To your surprise, you can also use the shadow effect on Canva to make your image, text, or frame look to create a realistic drop shadow effect. To know more about how to create a shadow effect in Canva and whether can you shadow an image on Canva, keep reading our guide till the end. Other than that, you will also learn about the shadow effect on the image, elements, text, and frames below, like text shadow in Canva. Let’s get started!
How to Create a Shadow Effect in Canva
Keep reading further to find the steps explaining how to create a shadow effect in Canva in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
Can You Shadow an Image on Canva?
Yes, Canva users can shadow an image on the platform. You can do it by adding your image and then selecting the Edit image option. There, you can search for the Shadow effect. To know more details on it, please refer to the steps explained below.
How to Create a Shadow Effect in Canva?
Shadow effect when used in Canva, tends to offer a very realistic look to the image, text, or element it is applied on. The shadow effect is available for free to users. You can use this effect on your images and design elements without the need for any fancy apps. This feature is available for the desktop version of Canva as well as for the mobile app.
To know more about how to create a shadow effect in Canva, follow the instructions given below:
1. Visit the Canva website on your web browser and Log in to your account.
2. Now, click on the Create a design option from the top right corner.
Note: You can create a new post or even select existing graphics.
3. Next, select the desired design from the menu. In this case, we have selected Instagram Story.
4. Now, click on the File tab from the top left corner.
5. Click on Import files from the menu.
6. Then, click on Choose files and upload the desired image to which you want to apply the drop shadow to.
7. Next, click on Edit image.
8. Click on the Shadows tile.
9. Select the desired Shadow effect from the options available.
Note: You can choose from Glow, Drop, Angle, Curved, Page Lift, and Backdrop.
10. Now, you can Adjust the Shadow settings of the image, including Brightness, Blur, Shadows, Fade, and a lot more.
11. Once the adjustments have been done, click on the Share option from the top.
12. Click on Download from the drop-down menu.
13. Select a File type and click on Download.
Now that you know how to create a shadow effect in Canva, let us move forward with learning more about applying the effect on different elements.
Also Read: How to Rotate Text in Canva
How to Create Shadows for Elements in Canva?
Apart from adding shadow effects to an image in Canva, you can also add this effect to some elements on the platform. However, applying the drop shadow effect to basic elements like a circle or square is not possible. There are only a few elements to which you can add the shadow effect. To apply the effect on available elements and know how to create shadows for elements in Canva, follow the steps below:
Note: To apply the shadow effect on all elements, download the Drop Shadow Canva Pack on your PC.
1. Navigate to the Canva website and click on the Create a design option.
2. Now, click on the Elements tab and select the desired element.
3. Next, click on Edit image from the top.
4. Search for Shadows and click on the Shadows tile from the results.
5. Select the Shadow effect of your choice and click on Apply.
6. Now, Adjust the Shadow settings of your choice.
7. Now, right-click on the image and click on Animate.
8. Select the desired animation effect.
9. Once done, click on the Share > Download option.
10. Finally, select a File type and click on Download.
How to Create Text Shadow in Canva?
On this DIY graphic designing app, you can also create a text shadow. It is an interesting way to make your text stand out and look cooler. To know more about how to create text shadow in Canva, follow the steps given below:
1. To start with, access Canva and click on Create a design option from the homepage.
2. Now, select the desired frame and click on Text from the left pane.
3. Next, add desired text on the page.
4. Click on the text box and select the Duplicate icon.
5. Now, select a different color for the second text box by clicking on the color palette above. This will help you create a shadow effect with contrasting colors.
6. Then, carefully move the second text box until you can see a thin outline of the original text behind it.
7. Click on the three-dotted icon > Position option to arrange the text.
You can also use this method to increase the contrast between text and a background image in Canva. You can also create a text shadow in Canva and then add it to the final image.
Also Read: How to Do the Echo Effect on TikTok
How Do I Add a Shadow to a Frame in Canva?
Now that you are aware of adding the shadow effect to an image, text, and element in Canva, it is time to add this effect to a frame. Frames in Canva are used to add color, effects, and flexibility to designs. These also come in handy when you want to design mockups, add fun shapes, and create photo effects, and styles to your designs.
To know more about how do I add a shadow to a frame in Canva, follow the steps below:
1. On opening Canva, click on Create a design > Poster from the menu.
2. Now, click on Uploads from the left pane and select the desired image.
3. Next, click on Edit image from the top and select Shadows.
4. Now, click on the desired shadow effect > Apply.
5. Now, click on the Elements tab.
6. Search for desired frames with the help of the search bar.
7. Then, select the desired frame from the results.
8. Adjust the image settings as per your choice and click on the Share > Download option.
9. Finally, select the File type and click on Download.
Also Read: How to Use Trending Popular Instagram Reel Effects
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can I drag and drop images in Canva?
Ans. Yes, you can drag and drop images in Canva.
Q2. What is the new feature of Canva?
Ans. The newest addition to Canva is the import feature that helps to convert your existing files into editable Canvas designs with no need to start from scratch.
Q3. Which is the best usable feature of Canvas?
Ans. The best feature of Canvas is its variety of templates that save the time of users in creating their favorite designs.
Q4. Does Canva offer free effects?
Ans. Yes, Canva offers free effects. However, some advanced effects on the platform are paid.
Q5. What are Canva art elements?
Ans. Several categories come under Canva art elements including Shapes, Frames, Lines, Charts, Grids, Stickers, and Gradients.
So, we hope you have understood how to create a shadow effect in Canva with the detailed steps to your aid. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.