It can be frustrating not to receive WhatsApp messages unless you open the app. There is not a day when you don’t hear any WhatsApp chat alerts on your phone, but sometimes you don’t get any WhatsApp notifications unless you open the app, or there can be multiple factors or reasons for this issue. In this article on why am I not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app, we will list some of the potential causes of this problem and will provide solutions for resolving it. Understanding the root cause will enable you to take the necessary steps to ensure that you can receive WhatsApp messages even when the app is closed. We will also discuss not getting WhatsApp messages until I open the app iPhone and Android both. So, continue reading to know about WhatsApp notifications not working on Android 11.
How to Fix Not Receiving WhatsApp Messages Unless I Open the App
Many WhatsApp users have reported that they are not receiving messages unless they open the app. This problem can be caused by a number of factors, including a poor internet connection, issues with WhatsApp servers, or problems with the user’s device. Following are some basic reasons why you may not be receiving WhatsApp messages unless you open the app:
- Your internet connection is unstable. Messages may not be delivered if your internet connection is slow or unstable until the app can reconnect to the internet.
- Your phone is in power saving mode. Some battery saver modes may limit background data usage, preventing messages from being delivered until the app is opened.
- WhatsApp does not operate in the background. Messages will not be delivered if WhatsApp is not running in the background.
- WhatsApp notifications have been disabled. If you have turned off WhatsApp notifications, you will not receive messages.
- The sender has blocked you, or the sender has deleted the message.
- There is a problem with the app itself. You may be using an outdated version.
- Certain phone settings may prevent the app from running in the background, settings that might restrict background apps from running.
Now, if you own an iPhone and are facing the issue of not getting WhatsApp notifications, we have the next section for you, that is, why am I not getting WhatsApp notifications on my iPhone?
Why am I Not Getting WhatsApp Notifications on My iPhone?
Push notifications are the most important feature of any instant messaging app’s experience. But many users have raised the question of not getting WhatsApp messages until I open the app iPhone. There can be several reasons why you may not be receiving WhatsApp notifications or messages on your iPhone. Following are some of the reasons:
- WhatsApp notifications might be turned off.
- If your iPhone is set to Do Not Disturb, you will not receive notifications.
- If WhatsApp is closed or running in the background, you will not receive messages until you open the app.
- The WhatsApp notification sound may be turned off.
- If you muted the chat, you would not receive notifications.
- It is possible that the app may not be updated, or you might be using an older version.
- If WhatsApp is not allowed to run in the background, the app will not be able to send messages.
- Your iPhone’s settings may be blocking WhatsApp from sending notifications.
- If the network is weak or unstable, it could be causing notifications to be delayed.
- Your account may have been blocked or banned.
- If your iPhone is set to Battery Saver mode which restricts background data usage, messages may not be delivered until the app is opened.
These can be some of the major reasons for not receiving WhatsApp notifications or messages on your iPhone. Now, let’s look at some of the reasons for WhatsApp notifications not working Android 11.
Why are WhatsApp Notifications Not Working on Android 11?
With the recent release of Android 11, the notifications section has been remodeled compared to previous Android versions. On Android 11 you have separate chat notifications from other notifications, as well as silent notifications from alert notifications. However, one of the most annoying issues that can deter your Android phone’s overall experience is that WhatsApp notifications are not working. In previous sections of this article, we have discussed not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app, but if you face this issue whether you are using an iPhone or an Android 11 smartphone, the basic reasons that we have mentioned will be the same. So, you can have a look at the previous section to learn what can be the possible cause for WhatsApp notifications not working Android 11.
So, as we have learned about the reasons or causes for not getting WhatsApp notifications, let’s know how to fix it.
How to Fix WhatsApp Not Receiving Messages on iPhone
If you own an iPhone, you can try the following methods to resolve the issue of WhatsApp not receiving messages iPhone:
Method 1: Reboot iPhone
Rebooting your iPhone is a great solution for any kind of issues you might face with the software of the phone. And in case of not getting WhatsApp notifications iPhone, you can try rebooting your device. To do that,
1. Hold down the Power button (located on the iPhone’s right side) until the slide to power off slider appears.
2. Then, to turn off the device, slide the slider.
3. After turning off the device, press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears, indicating that the device has rebooted.
Method 2: Disconnected Wi-Fi or Cellular Connections
If you are not receiving messages, you should check your Wi-Fi or cellular connections to see if they are down. Even if you open the application, you will not receive any messages if your connections are turned off.
Also Read: How to Check if someone is Online on Whatsapp without going Online
Method 3: Allow WhatsApp Notifications
You can customize app notifications in iOS. Chat alerts will not appear on your phone if you have WhatsApp notifications disabled. To enable it, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on Notifications.
3. Now, tap on WhatsApp.
4. Turn on the Allow Notifications toggle if it’s off.
Method 4: Unmute WhatsApp Contact or Group
You may have muted WhatsApp contacts or groups. If this is the case, you will still receive messages, but WhatsApp will not notify you of them. To unmute or check if you have muted any contacts or groups, follow these steps:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
2. Locate a mute icon next to a conversation.
3. Open the conversation you want to unmute.
4. At the top, tap on the contact’s name.
5. Tap Muted and then Unmute.
Method 5: Turn Off Do Not Disturb Mode
When you don’t want to be bothered, the Do Not Disturb option can be useful. No calls, alarms, or notifications will make any sound when the phone is locked. In any case, if the Do Not Disturb feature is occasionally or accidentally activated, WhatsApp notifications will be disabled. To turn it off, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap on Do Not Disturb.
3. If it’s on, toggle the switch to turn it off.
Method 6: Disable Low Power Mode
Low Power Mode typically disables or reduces background data usage, performance, and non-essential services, it can be activated manually or automatically. If turned on, WhatsApp notifications might be disabled as well, so to disable Low Power Mode follow these steps and solve not getting WhatsApp messages until i open the app on iPhone issue.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Scroll to the bottom and tap on Battery.
3. To disable Low Power Mode, toggle the switch next to it.
Also Read: Does WhatsApp Give You Phone Number?
Method 7: Turn On Background App Refresh
WhatsApp cannot receive fresh notifications in the background if the background app refresh is off. You must open WhatsApp to see any new messages which can be annoying. To enable WhatsApp’s background app refresh, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings, then select WhatsApp.
2. From the option below, turn on the Background App Refresh toggle.
Method 8: Update WhatsApp
You can have notification issues in the WhatsApp app if you’re using an old version on an iPhone. Update WhatsApp to the most recent version by going to the App Store.
1. Open AppStore.
2. Then search for Whatsapp and tap Update.
Method 9: Reinstall WhatsApp
The simplest and most efficient way to resolve not getting WhatsApp messages until i open the app on iPhone issue is to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp application. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Press the WhatsApp icon until the application nudges.
2. Then, tap on Remove app to uninstall the app.
3. Now, search for WhatsApp in the App Store, then reinstall it on iPhone.
Try each method one at a time. This should resolve the issue of WhatsApp not receiving messages iPhone. But if none of the above solutions work, you can contact WhatsApp’s customer service for further assistance.
How to Fix WhatsApp Not Receiving Messages on Android
Therefore, if you own an Android smartphone, you can try the following methods to fix the issue of not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app:
Method 1: Reboot Device
Any software-related problems you may have can be easily fixed by restarting your phone. You may also try restarting your device if you’re having trouble receiving WhatsApp notifications on your smartphone.
1. Press the Power button on your device.
2. Tap the Reboot option or Power off option.
Note: If you tap the Power off option, you have to hold your Power button again to restart your phone.
Method 2: Disable Power Saving Mode
Prevent your phone from going into power saving mode as this mode can restrict background data usage which can prevent WhatsApp alerts, but leaving your phone plugged into a power source can disable this mode at once.
Also Read: Fix WhatsApp Stopped Working Today on Android
Method 3: Allow WhatsApp Notification in Settings
Check that your Android device’s WhatsApp notification settings are set to show notifications even when the app is closed. To do that
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Search for Apps and tap on it.
3. Search for WhatsApp and tap on it.
4. Tap on Notifications.
5. Turn on the All WhatsApp Notifications toggle if it’s off.
Method 4: Check the Date and Time Settings
Your phone’s date and time may be incorrect and of which you might not be getting WhatsApp alerts. Check if the date and time are correct, if not, follow these steps to change your date and time settings:
1. Open Settings on your Android smartphone.
2. Scroll down and tap on System.
3. Tap on Date & time.
4. Turn on the Set time automatically toggle if it’s off.
Also Read: Fix WhatsApp Status Not Showing on Android
Method 5: Clear WhatsApp’s Cache and Data
Cached data are temporary files that apps and the system save on the device. Clearing the cache can help in freeing up storage space and improve device performance. Whereas clearing data deletes all data associated with an app, including user preferences, settings, and login information. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Navigate to Home Screen and tap the Settings icon.
2. Then, tap on Apps.
3. Now, tap on Manage apps then tap on WhatsApp.
4. Next, tap on Storage.
5. Then, tap Clear data and then, Clear cache as shown.
6. Tap Clear all data when you want to delete all the WhatsApp data.
Method 6: Log Out of WhatsApp Web
If you are not receiving WhatsApp messages unless you open the app, you may have signed into WhatsApp Web, and then you might get the WhatsApp Notifications on WhatsApp Web and afterward have no alerts on your phone.
Also Read: 11 Ways to Fix Desktop WhatsApp Not Opening on PC
Method 7: Reinstall WhatsApp
The simplest and most reliable way to fix WhatsApp notifications not working on Android 11 issue is to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp application. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Go to the Play Store and search WhatsApp.
2. Now, tap Uninstall as shown.
3. Wait until the app is completely uninstalled from your Android. Then, again search for WhatsApp and tap Install.
4. Once, your app has been installed on your device, tap Open as depicted.
You can try checking all these solutions to resolve the issue, but if it still doesn’t solve your problem of WhatsApp not receiving messages on your Android phone, the solution that is left is to contact WhatsApp Customer Support.
WhatsApp is an excellent messaging app for communicating with friends, family, etc. But if you have faced the issue of not receiving WhatsApp notifications on your phone, then after going through this article on why am I not receiving WhatsApp messages unless I open the app, you must have learned about the potential causes for this issue. We have explained some solutions as well, whether you own an iPhone or an Android smartphone, we have provided solutions for both. If you have any more queries or suggestions, you can always leave a comment in the comment section down below.