Kodi is one of the best open-source media players where you can enjoy unlimited media files. You can enjoy Kodi in Windows, Linux, Android, and macOS as well. So, without any doubt, Kodi is guaranteed the best video streaming service, still, it is not without errors or problems from time to time. Sometimes, you may face Kodi won’t open which is an unusual sign that something is not proper with Kodi. If you are also struggling with this issue, this guide will help you fix Kodi won’t start problem.
How to Fix Kodi Won’t Open in Windows 10
When you face Kodi won’t start issue on your Windows 10 PC, you can easily shrink down the most possible causes that trigger the problem. Analyse this list of reasons that cause the problem on your device.
- Corrupt Kodi installation
- Misconfigured database files on your device that can only be resolved when you remove them completely.
- Few Kodi processes are still running on your device. So, if you continue with the last session, you cannot open a new one.
- Few necessary Kodi installation files are broken or damaged.
- The cache files of Kodi media files are corrupt or damaged.
- The Kodi add-ons are outdated or not fully updated to their latest version.
- The graphics drivers in your device are outdated or not compatible.
- Geographic location is restricted to your device.
Here is a list of troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Kodi not working issue. Follow them in the same order to attain the best results.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
The basic troubleshooting methods to fix the Kodi freezes on startup are explained in this section.
1A. Force Restart PC
The first approach to fix the Kodi freezes on startup is to force restart your PC. Press the Windows key, click on the Power button, and click on the Restart option to solve the glitches on your PC.
1B. Delete Temporary Files
The Numerous cache files on your PC might be a reason for Kodi not starting on the Kodi app, you can try deleting all the temporary files on the PC. Read the method on the link given here to clear all the temporary files on your PC to fix the error.
1C. Restart Kodi
This is a simple fix that will help you fix Kodi freezing on Windows PC problem at ease. Restarting Kodi media player is one of the simplest fixes that will ensure fix all the glitches on the player and media content as well.
If all these troubleshooting methods do not work, move ahead to the next troubleshooting method.
Method 2: Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity
To enjoy the media streaming services on Kodi without Kodi won’t open issue, your computer must satisfy basic internet requirements. A proper internet connection is necessary to send and receive data from Kodi servers. You can check the internet connection by pinging 126.96.36.199. This is the primary internet connectivity test and if the packets sent and received are equal, then it indicates your internet connection is working fine.
1. Hit the Windows key and type cmd, then click on Run as administrator as shown.
2. Now, type Ping 188.8.131.52 in the command window and hit Enter key.
3A. If the number of packets sent is equal to the number of packets received (0% loss), then your internet connection is working fine.
3B. If the number of packets sent is not equal to the number of packets received (n% loss), you have issues with your internet connection. Try to restart the Wi-Fi router or switching to an Ethernet connection to tackle the problem.
Also Read: How to Clone Kodi Configuration and Duplicate Your Setup
Method 3: Close Background Processes
There may be plenty of applications that run in the background. This will increase the CPU and memory usage, thereby affecting the performance of the computer. In such cases, you can close a program or any application with the help of the Task Manager. But, if you face a Task manager not responding error, you will have to look for the answers to how to force close a program without Task Manager. To do so, follow our guide on How to End Task in Windows 10.
Method 4: Clear Kodi App Cache
Kodi won’t open issue may occur on the PC if there are numerous cache files on the Kodi media player. In this case, you can try deleting the Cache on your add-on or media player to fix Kodi won’t open issue.
1. Press the Windows key, type Kodi and click on Open.
2. Click on the cog-wheel icon to open Settings.
3. Then, click on the File Manager option.
4. Next, select the Add source option.
5. Then, add the following file source and name the media source as a4k.
6. Now, go to My Add-ons > Add on browser.
7. Click on Install from zip file.
Note: Make sure you have enabled the installation from unknown sources feature.
8. Double-click on the a4k source.
9. Select the repository.opensource-2.0.zip file and click on OK.
10. Then, click on Install from repository.
11. And, click on OpenWizard Repository.
12. Install the Open Wizard Repository by following the on-screen instructions.
13. After installing, go to Program Add-ons and launch the Open Wizard program.
14. Navigate to (Open Wizard) Maintenance > (Open Wizard) Cleaning Tools.
15. Finally, select the Total Clean Up option and click on Clear All option.
Also Read: How to Add Favorites in Kodi
Method 5: Disable Hardware Acceleration Feature
Several Windows users have confirmed that Kodi won’t start issue is fixed by disabling the hardware acceleration feature in the media player. We recommend you follow these steps to disable the feature as instructed below.
1. Launch the Kodi media player as instructed in above Method 4.
2. Now, go to Kodi Settings.
3. Now, select the Player option as highlighted.
Note: If you are using an old version of Kodi, you have to click on Player Settings.
4. Now, click on gear icon from the bottom left corner of the screen till you find Expert option.
5. Now, disable Allow Hardware Acceleration turning it off and check if this helps you fix Kodi not starting on Windows 10 PC.
Method 6: Update Kodi Add-ons
If the Kodi add-ons are outdated or corrupt, you may see a Kodi won’t open issue on the PC. Follow the steps below to update the add-on and fix Kodi not opening issue.
1. Hit Windows key, type Kodi and click on Open.
2. Click on Add-ons tab on the left pane of Window.
3. In My add-ons tab, right-click on your add-on in the Video add-ons section, and click on Information option from the given menu.
4. Now, click on Update button on the screen to update the add-on.
Note: You can also enable the Auto-update button on the screen to install the updates of your add-on automatically on the Kodi app.
Repeat these steps to update all the add-ons available on Kodi and check if you can fix Kodi won’t start problem.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi on Smart TV
Method 7: Update Kodi to Latest Version
If you are using an outdated version of Kodi, you have to update it to the latest version to fix Kodi freezes on startup issue. In this case, you have to update Kodi as instructed below.
1. Hit Windows key and type Windows Store. Then, click on Open.
2. Now, go to the Library tab.
3. Then, click on Update button for Kodi player if there are any updates available.
Method 8: Delete Kodi Database Files
Sometimes, you may face Kodi not working issue due to corrupt, damaged or corrupt Kodi database files on your PC. In this case, you have to delete all these old database files as instructed below to enjoy your video without any issues.
1. Launch Kodi app as instructed in above methods and move to Settings menu.
2. Then, click on File manager.
3. Now, navigate to Profile Directory menu of the player.
4. Then, go to Database and then press addons.DB.
Note: This addons.DB file comes along with some versions and numbers like addons20.DB.
5. Then, delete these database files and check if Kodi won’t start issue is resolved or not.
Also Read: How to Watch NFL on Kodi
Method 9: Use VPN (Virtual Private Network)
More often Kodi won’t open issue is caused when your Internet Service Provider blocks your geographic location for some privacy reasons. So, in this you have to use appropriate VPN connection to encrypt your network traffic and makes your media playable.
- To be short, while the Kodi software is open-source, free, and legal, some of the available add-ons allow you to access content illegally.
- Your local network provider is likely to monitor and report live streaming, TV, and movie plug-ins to the government and business authorities, leaving you exposed every time you go online.
- Therefore, you may use a Virtual Private Network to shield yourself from spying on the service providers.
- VPNs operate as a barrier between you and the downloaded content. Read our guide on What is VPN? How it works?
- It is advisable to use VPN while using Kodi. Even though Kodi is officially legal to use, some add-ons in Kodi are not created or developed by the official developers.
Hence, use a trusted VPN service to safeguard yourself and watch content from any part of the world, without disclosing your true location or information.
Note: Here NordVPN is shown as an example for demonstration. You can use any other VPN as you like.
1. Download NordVPN by clicking on the Download App button, as shown.
2. In the Setup Nord VPN window, click on Browse… to choose installation location and click Next.
3. Choose any or both options for shortcuts, as needed:
- Create a desktop shortcut or,
- Create a shortcut in the Start menu.
Then, click Next, as depicted below.
4. Launch NordVPN app and Sign-up.
5. Once logged into your account, click on Settings icon as highlighted below.
6. On the left-hand side, select Split tunneling.
7. Turn the toggle on as it will allow you to Choose which apps use VPN-protected connections.
8. Click on Enable VPN for selected apps only option. Then, click Add apps.
9. Select Kodi from the list and click on Add selected button.
10. Now, select Your Server on the Map to watch your favorite show.
11. Next, go to Kodi desktop app and click on Power icon > Reboot, as illustrated below.
Enjoy watching shows or movies in Kodi with utmost privacy and anonymity. However, the only downside of using Nord VPN is that it might be slow to connect sometimes. But we believe it’s worth it!
Also Read: Fix Kodi Ares Wizard Not Working in Windows 10
Method 10: Reinstall Kodi
Still if you face Kodi won’t open issue even after restoring the media player to its default settings, most probably, your Kodi media player might have some bug within the problem. You have to delete all the Kodi data left on your computer and start it from scratch to reinstall it again. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reinstall Kodi.
Step I: Uninstall Kodi App
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel and click on Open.
2. Now, click on Uninstall a program under the Programs menu as shown.
3. Now, select Kodi from the list and click on Uninstall as shown. Then, confirm any prompt that comes in the next window.
4. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
5. Click on Next in the Kodi Uninstall window.
6. Again, click on Next in the following uninstallation window.
7. Now, click on the Uninstall option to confirm the uninstallation process.
8. Click on Finish to complete the process.
Step II: Remove Kodi AppData
1. Press the Windows key, type %appdata% and hit the Enter key to open the AppData Roaming folder.
2. Right-click on Kodi folder and select the Delete 0ption.
3. Next, type %localappdata% in the Windows search bar to open the AppData Local folder.
4. Again, delete the Kodi folder as shown in Step 2.
5. Finally, reboot the PC after completely removing Kodi.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi Add Ons
Step III: Download and Install Kodi App
1. Go to the Kodi download page and click on the Installer (64BIT) button as depicted.
2. Once the setup file gets downloaded, then run the downloaded Kodi 19.3-Matrix -x64 bit installer by double-clicking on it.
3. Click on Next in the Kodi Setup window, as shown.
4. Read the License Agreement. Then, click I Agree button.
5. Choose the Full option under select the type of install: drop-down menu.
6. Also, check the box titled Microsoft Visual C++ packages. Then, click Next.
7. Choose your Destination Folder to install the app by clicking on Browse… and then, click Next, shown highlighted.
8. Now, select the folder in which you would like to create the program’s shortcuts as Start Menu folder or new folder. Then, click on Install.
Note: We have created a folder titled Kodi in the example below.
9. Wait for the installation process to finish.
10. Finally, click on Finish button. Now, you can run & use Kodi app as explained in the next section.
Once you have restarted Kodi, you will not face any issues related to it.
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Kodi won’t open on your Windows 10 PC. Let us know which method worked for you the best to solve Kodi won’t start problem. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.