Being one of the most popular American streaming media services and a client-server media player platform, Plex TV has gained a remarkable audience. The Plex TV app is connected to the Plex TV Media Server and the content streamed on the app is derived from the server. However, you might have seen the error message that says, app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely. The issue is mainly caused due to error in the Internet connection you are using, and may also be accounted for the interference from the services on your PC. Plex unable to connect securely issue would halt the streaming process immediately and you may not be allowed to use the Plex TV app. Read the article till the end to find out the best methods to resolve unable to connect to Plex server issue.
How to Fix App Plex TV is Unable to Connect to Securely
Here we have given a full troubleshooting guide to fix Flex TV unable to connect securely to the server issue.
How to Setup Secure Connection on Plex Media Server
Plex Media Server is the platform that allows you to create and re-design the media content of the Plex TV app. The method to establish a secure connection on the Plex Media Server is explained in this section. If you have followed the steps in this method, you can avoid the issue.
Step I: Install Plex Media Server
The first step is to install the latest version of the Plex Media Server on your Windows PC.
1. Press the Windows key, type Google Chrome, then click on Open.
2. Open the official website of Plex Media Server download, select the Windows option in the drop-down menu, and click on the Windows 32-bit button in the Plex Media Server for Windows section.
3. Run the downloaded setup file.
4. Click on Install.
5. Wait for the installation process to finish.
6. Finally, click on Close button after installing the app.
Step II: Setup Secure Connection
The next step is to set up a secure connection to the Plex Media Server. Ensure to choose the Preferred option in the setting to avoid app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue.
1. Open the Plex Media Server app.
2. Click on the gear icon to open the Settings.
3. Move to the Network tab and select the Preferred option in the set Secure Connections setting.
Also Read: How to Download MyIPTV Player
What are the Causes of Plex TV Unable to Connect to Plex Server Issue?
The possible causes for Plex unable to connect securely are listed below in this section.
- Network Connection Issues- The WiFi network to which the Windows PC is connected may not support continuous and effective streaming.
- Outdated OS and App- The Windows OS and Plex app may be outdated and may not support the server connected to the app.
- Interference from VPN Service- The VPN Service might interfere with the network speed of the Internet connection.
- Interference from Proxy- The proxy on your PC may disturb the effective functioning of the Plex TV web app.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
To fix the issue with the secure connection, the first approach should be to try the basic troubleshooting methods given below.
1A. Check Status of Plex TV Server
At times, the server might be down and you may not be able to stream on the app. You can try checking the status of the Plex TV server using the link given here on your default web browser. If the result indicates that the server is operational, app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue should be resolved.
1B. Restart PC
Sometimes, the issue with the server connection may not be due to the app but due to software glitches or minor issues on your PC. You can try restarting your PC to fix the issue.
1. Open the START menu by pressing the Windows key.
2. Select the Restart option on the menu after clicking on the power icon.
1C. Sign In to Plex TV Web App
At most times, this issue occurs if you have not signed in to the Plex TV web app on the page you are using on the web browser. Follow the methods to sign in to the app on the page you are streaming and check if app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue is resolved.
1. Launch the Google Chrome app.
2. Open the official website of Plex TV and click on the Continue with Email button on the Plex Web login page.
3. Enter the user account credentials and click on the Sign In button to sign in to your account.
Sometimes, unable to connect to Plex server issue may occur if the login credentials you have entered might be wrong. Recheck if you are using the exact username of your Plex TV account to sign in to the Plex TV Web App.
1D. Connect Plex Media Server and Plex TV to same Network
If you have connected the Plex TV Web App and the Plex Media Server to varying WiFi networks, you may face this issue. You can try connecting the apps to the common network to fix the issue.
1E. Resign into Plex TV
If you are streaming on the Plex TV app using the bookmarks or saved links, you may face this issue. To fix Plex unable to connect securely issue, you can try signing out and resigning into the app using your credentials.
1. Launch the Plex TV app.
2. Click on the profile icon at the top-right corner.
3. Click on the Sign Out option to sign out of your Plex account.
4. Follow the steps explained earlier to sign in to your Plex account.
1F. Disable Anti-virus Software (If Applicable)
If you are using any third-party anti-virus software on your PC, you may face the issue while streaming on the web. To clear app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue, you can try disabling the anti-virus software temporarily on your PC by following the steps in the link given here.
Also Read: Fix Avast Not Updating Virus Definitions
1G. Disable VPN and Proxy Server
As listed in the causes of the issue section, VPN services and proxies conflict with the app and the server and forbid you from using the app. You can fix this issue by implementing the steps given in this article to disable the VPN Service and Proxy on your PC.
1H. Alter DNS Rebinding Settings
If the DNS rebinding feature is not allowed in your Wi-Fi router, you may experience unable to connect to Plex server issue. You can try altering the DNS server settings of the Wi-Fi network to fix the issue.
1I. Update Windows
Another possible reason for this issue is the outdated Windows OS. You can follow our guide on how to download and install Windows 10 latest updates. The issue should be cleared after the Windows OS is updated.
Method 2: Verify Activity of Plex TV
At times, the server may be down or your account may not be granted access to stream the media content. Before attempting to fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue, you can try checking if the Plex TV web app is active on your web browser.
1. Open the Plex TV app.
2. Here, click on the Activity button at the top-right corner. If the active symbol is displayed, the Plex TV web app is operational.
Also Read: Fix Netflix Audio Out of Sync on TV
Method 3: Authorize Devices
Another method to fix Plex unable to connect securely issue is to check if the web browser you are using is listed on the Devices page of the Plex TV web app. Follow the steps to check if your default web browser is available on the result page.
1. Open the Plex TV app and click on the Settings icon at the top-right corner.
2. Click on the Authorized Devices tab, select the ALL option in the drop-down menu, and check if the Windows PC is added to the list.
Method 4: Update Plex TV App
The next possible reason for the issue is the outdated Plex TV app. You can easily fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue by updating the app on the streaming platform.
Option I: Plex Web App
If you are using the Plex TV web app on your default web browser, you can follow this method to update the app.
To update the Plex TV web app, simply reload the page you are streaming on. You can reload the page either by:
- Clicking on the Reload icon at the top-left corner next to the URL address bar, or
- Press the Ctrl + R keys at once to reload the page.
Option II: Plex TV App
To fix unable to connect to Plex server issue, you can follow the steps in this method to update the Plex TV app from the Microsoft Store.
1. Press the Windows key, type Microsoft Store, then click on Open.
2. Click on Library.
3. Click on Get updates at the top right corner to update the Plex app.
Note: To update the Plex Media Server, go to the Taskbar and right click on the Plex Media Server icon and select the Check for updates option.
Also Read: Fix Hulu Switch Profile Error in Windows 10
Method 5: Enable Remote Access to Server
The prime reason for the issue is the internet connectivity and by allowing remote access to the server, you can fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue easily. Ensure to follow the steps given in the method to enable remote access to the server.
1. Press the Windows+ E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer,
2. Right-click on This PC on the left pane, and select the Properties option.
3. Click on the Remote settings option on the left pane of the screen.
4. In the Remote tab, tick the Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer option.
5. Select the Allow remote connections to this computer in the Remote Desktop section, and click on the Apply and OK buttons.
Method 6: Disable Security Connections on Server
Another possible reason for this issue is the security connections implied on the server. You can tweak these settings to fix Plex unable to connect securely issue.
Option I: On Plex Media Server App
To fix the issue with the secure connections, you can follow the instructions to set up the secure connection in Plex Media Server which was explained earlier. By choosing the Preferred option, you can resolve this issue.
Option II: On Web Browser
If you have imported any SSL certificates to the web browser you are using, you can try disabling the SSL software to fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue.
1. Open File Explorer using the Windows + E keys simultaneously and move to the Programs folder by following the location path.
2. Right-click on the Google Chrome shortcut and click on the Properties option.
3. In the Shortcut tab, click on the Target field and press the End key.
4. Enter the following text in the field to disable the SSL certificates on the Google Chrome app.
5. Click on the Apply button at the bottom-right corner.
6. Click on the Continue button to grant administrative privileges.
7. Click on the OK button on the Google Chrome properties window to complete the process.
Also Read: Fix Sling TV Down on Windows 10
Method 7: Reinstall Plex Media Server App
As a last resort to fix unable to connect to Plex server issue, you can try reinstalling the Plex Media Server app on your PC. This would clear all the issues on the software and PC and help in installing it afresh.
Step I: Uninstall Plex Media Server App
The first step to fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue using this method is to uninstall the existing version of the Plex Media Server app on your PC using the Control Panel app.
1. Firstly, close the Plex Media Server running in the background. Read our guide to end task on Windows 10.
2. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, and click on Open.
3. Choose the Category option in the View by drop-down menu at the top-right corner. Under the Programs category, click on the Uninstall a program option.
4. Select the Plex Media Server app, click on the Uninstall button.
5. Then, click on Uninstall button in Plex Media Server Setup.
6. Finally, click on Close button.
Step II: Delete Plex Media Server Entries
The second step to fix Plex unable to connect securely issue is to remove the entries of the Plex Media Server app in the Registry Editor and AppData folder to make sure that all previous entries are cleared.
1. Press the Windows key, type Registry Editor, then click on Open.
2. Navigate to the Plex, Inc. folder by following the path described below.
3. Right-click on the Plex, Inc. folder and click on the Delete option.
4. Click on the Yes button on the Confirm Key Delete window.
5. Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box, type %LOCALAPPDATA% and click on the OK button.
6. Right-click on the Plex Media Server folder and click on the Delete option.
Step III: Reinstall Plex Media Server App
The last step to fix app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue is to install the latest version of the Plex Media Server app on your PC using the official website. Follow the instructions given in the setup secure connection on Plex Media Server section explained earlier to reinstall the app.
The methods to solve app Plex TV is unable to connect to securely issue are discussed in this article. Please let us know your suggestions and queries in the comments section.