Confined within its breathtaking open world, adventure, and exploration-driven 3D RPG (Role Playing Game), the online multiplayer game Genshin Impact wowed and awed the entire gaming industry in 2020. Through a virtual experience, the impeccable and exquisite graphics of the game set the player on a journey across their own created fantasy world called Teyvat. While updates are mandatory to make software, an application, or a game better, smoother, bug free, and level up the experience of it for the users, not every time it happens so. Users have seemed to be complaining about Genshin impact stuck on checking for updates in recent times. This is error 31-4302. If you are here with the same complaint, do not worry as we have listed below a handful of solutions for you to fix Genshin impact stuck on checking for updates PC. Also you will get to know about why is Genshin Impact taking so long to check for updates.
Ways to Fix Genshin Impact Stuck on Checking for Updates
In this article, we have shown best ways to fix Genshin Impact stuck on checking for updates error on PC.
Why is Genshin Impact Taking So Long to Check for Updates?
The reason why is Genshin Impact taking so long to check for updates can be explained as follows:
- Outdated Software on the device the game is being tried to run on
- Disabled automatic updates
- Unavailable updates
- Congestion in servers due to unexpected rise and traffic
How to Fix Genshin Impact Stuck on Checking for Updates on PC
These are the fixes you can perform following the outlined steps to resolve the error 31-4302 faced on the game.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Internet Connection
Laggy internet speed and bothered connectivity can be the primary reasons why Genshin Impact taking so long to check for updates. Error 31-4302 being a client-side issue can be fixed. Poor network connections, however, can affect the speed and loading of files. Check your internet connection and reboot it from the main to expect a better connection and push to the speed. To do it there are some basic changes at the hardware level, anyone of which you can perform.
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router / modem if you are connected through Wi-Fi.
- Install a Wi-Fi signal booster to enhance the signals and ultimately speed.
Note: If you are connected to Wi-Fi, make sure the connection is established on a 5GHz network.
- Connect your internet by installing an ethernet cable or a LAN into your PC instead of Wi-Fi. There is a major difference in speed while connecting via an ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi.
Method 2: Wait for Server Uptime
Check if there is any discrepancy on the servers of Genshin Impact. When there is a cluster and overload on the server, they tend to fail for a while. You can check that on DownDetector and if there is an issue, wait until the server is revamped.
Also Read: What are the Genshin Impact PC Requirements?
Method 3: Restart PC
It is not a mandate that the multi-step trouble shooting methods only can resolve any issue that goes around a hardware or a software. Sometimes, something as basic as Shutting down the system and starting it back creates wonders and solves an issue in a few minutes. We suggest you to give this a try as well before you go for any other troubleshooting.
1. Press the Windows key.
2. Click on Power icon and select Restart.
Method 4: Disable VPN
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have the ability to change the IP address of your device and that may lead to unstable network connectivity as well. Additionally, that may cause interference between the device and the game’s server, sometimes even for security reasons. If you use VPN to access the internet and applications, try loading the game and playing by turning VPN off.
1. In the search bar of your Windows PC, search for VPN settings.
2. Switch the toggle to disable both the options under Advanced settings for all VPN connections as shown in the picture:
- Allow VPN over metered networks
- Allow VPN while roaming
This disables the VPN connection to your PC. But, let’s say that you do not use VPN but have access to it. The reverse is tricky, but it can be effective for some users as well. VPNs tend to change the IP address of the device, thereby connecting the game to servers in a different location. When there are issues with the servers in a particular region, there might be a chance that in another region it works fine. It is okay to give this a chance since we are troubleshooting with the simplest try-outs first.
Also Read: 8 Fixes for VPN Connection Failed Due to Unsuccessful Domain Name Resolution
Method 5: Restart Launcher
There is a possibility of another temporary issue that may have caused while the launcher was used to run the game. This might be why you find Genshin impact stuck on checking for updates and are not able to go through. Stop the launcher completely and relaunch it again.
1. Launch Task Manager on your Windows PC.
2. Inside the Task Manager, from the Processes tab navigate to Genshin Impact.
3. Right-click on the game.
4. From the pop-up menu, click on End Task.
This will end all operations of the game launcher completely. Launch the app again to initiate services. To launch Genshin Impact follow these steps.
1. Search for Genshin Impact on your Windows PC.
2. Click to launch the game again.
Method 6: Run Game as Administrator
If you play Genshin Impact on a launcher, you can give this method a try.
1. Right-click on the launcher’s icon on Desktop.
2. Click on Properties.
3. From the Pop-up Window, tab to Compatibility.
4. Tick to enable Run this program as an administrator.
5. Click on Apply and OK.
Also Read: Fix Modern Warfare 2 Error Travis Shipton
Method 7: Skip Launcher
This is the trick where you would avoid to launching the game from the launcher to play it but rather run it directly has sometimes worked for users. To perform this:
1. Click on This PC and head over to Windows (C:) drive.
2. From the list of folders click on Program files.
3. Scroll down and Navigate to Genshin Impact installation folder.
4. Use the .exe file (executable file) and run the game directly.
On launching the GenshinImpact.exe executable, the game will automatically log in and check for updates.
Method 8: Change DNS Server
Domain Name System (DNS) is responsible to translate domain names to IP addresses. This enables browsers to load Internet resources in an uncluttered manner. There might be a possibility in the game updating with the current DNS server. Try to change the DNS server by following our detailed guide and see if that woks for you.
Method 9: Repair Game from Launcher
The game can be repaired from the official launcher itself. Follow these steps:
1. Click on the gear icon on the top-right corner of the launcher.
2. From the Settings pop-up window, select Game resources.
3. Click on Repair Now under Repair Game Files. Wait until the files get verified and repaired.
5. Reboot the game and check if the error has been fixed.
Method 10: Delete Storage Folder
1. Locate the Installation folder of Genshin Impact, most commonly you will find it in the C/: drive where all the system folders and files exist.
Windows (C:) > Program Files > Genshin Impact
2. Inside that folder, navigate and delete blob_storage folder.
3. Run the game again now to verify if Genshin impact stuck on checking for updates issue still prevails.
Also Read: 23 Best Live Service Games
Method 11: Disable Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)
We do not recommend our readers to disable Windows Defender on their PC as the default antivirus of Windows protects device from any kind of malware or viruses. But it’s sometimes the security framework that prevents the game from a smooth connection to servers and obstructs downloading updates for the game. We can predict this is why is Genshin Impact taking so long to check for updates. However, there is a way to bypass this which we will learn in the next method.
1. Search for Windows Security on your PC.
2. Click on Firewall & network protection.
3. Navigate and click on the option – Private Network and Public Network whichever is mentioned to be active.
4. Toggle off the Microsoft Defender Firewall.
5. Click on Yes and save the settings
Method 12: Allow Genshin Impact Through Windows Firewall
If you want the firewall protection to remain enabled on your PC but still are looking to fix Genshin impact stuck on checking for updates pc, that can be done. You can unblock individual programs in Windows Defender Firewall by adding it as an exerpt.
1. Search for Windows Security on your PC and click on Firewall & network protection.
2. Click on Allow an app through the Firewall.
3. Click on Change Settings.
4. Select Allow another app option at the bottom.
5. Click on Browse and find the .exe file of the game.
6. After selecting the file, click on Add.
7. Click on OK. Follow the same process for the game’s launcher as well.
Also Read: 12 Common Infinite Warfare Errors and Fixes
Method 13: Delete Dump Files
The dump files created in Genshin Impact directory can sometimes lead to the Game stuck on checking for updates. You can definitely try this method and verify if it works for you. Do not worry, deleting dump files would not delete any of the game’s data.
1. Open File Explorer on your PC by hitting the Windows + E keys together.
2. Navigate to the Genshin Impact directory. The default one is mostly C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact.
3. Type dumpfile in the search box and press Enter and let Windows search all the dumpfiles of Genshin Impact in your directory.
Note: Dump files names are commonly like DumpFile[numbers].dmp and DumpFile-zebrowser-[numbers].dmp
4. Delete them and check if that resolved your problem.
Method 14: Delete Persistent File
Deleting this file in the Genshin Impact directory increases the load speed of the game.
1. Open File Explorer.
2. Navigate to the Genshin Impact directory by the following location path.
C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin impact Game\GenshinImpact_Data
Note: This path is applicable if C:\ drive is the default drive where all the programs are installed. If you have any other drive where the game is installed, please search on that particular drive.
3. Delete the file and launch your game again to check.
Method 15: Reinstall DirectX
The DirectX is a journal of APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) that establish the simultaneous work structure between games and audio and video hardware to improve multimedia experience using hardware accelerator. Sometimes a corrupted, outdated or missing DirectX can also cause the problem.
1. Launch File Explorer.
2. Follow the path: C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact.
3. If there is a DXSETUP folder, open it.
4. Click on DXSETUP.exe and follow instructions to install the DirectX.
Note: If you do not have the DXSETUP folder, you can download DirectX from the Microsoft’s website and install.
5. After reinstalling DirectX, restart the PC.
Also Read: Fix League of Legends Directx Error in Windows 10
Method 16: Reinstall Genshin Impact
If even restarting the launcher or the game does not prove effective in resolving the issue, I would suggest you uninstall the game and install it again. Sometimes, the game may gain corrupt files that could interrupt in basic functions on that particular program and turn the culprit why is Genshin Impact taking so long to check for updates on your PC. Updating or Re-installing the same helps in fixing up the files and patching any corrupt issues in the program files.
1. Search for Control Panel on your PC and click to open it.
2. Click on Programs option.
3. On the new Window, click on Programs and Features.
4. Scroll down to navigate Genshin Impact game and right click on it.
5. From the pop-up Window, click on Uninstall.
Hence forward, all the files of Genshin Impact will be uninstalled.
1. Download the game again from the official Genshin Impact website.
2. Right-click on the Genshin Impact icon on your PC and click on Open to launch the Genshin Impact launcher.
3. Now on the bottom right of the launcher’s home screen, click on Get Game.
The game will start downloading. After the download is complete, it will be installed and you can start playing it.
Method 17: Use Genshin Community Forum
Genshin Impact has a dedicated community that engages players to talk and share their thoughts about the game. Scroll through the community page of Genshin Impact to see if there is any alternate solution is updated over there based on the device being used and the version of game.
With this the article ends. Thank you for reading. We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Genshin Impact stuck on checking for updates issue. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries, or suggestions, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.