The camera app on iPhone lets users capture beautiful moments that they could cherish later. You can click photos and make videos using the camera app. This app also offers various filters like vivid, dramatic warm, silvertone, noir, etc., to make your photos look beautiful. Besides that, you can also capture live photos and edit them as per your choice. All your captured photos and videos are saved on the iPhone Photos app. If suddenly your camera stops working, you will indeed get upset. But by reading our article, you can learn how to fix iPhone Camera Not Working and the iPhone camera not working black screen issues. You will also understand how to restart camera app on iPhone method to get your iPhone camera fixed promptly. Let’s get started with this guide!
13 Ways to Fix iPhone Camera Not Working
To gain insights on how you can resolve the iPhone camera issue, read and follow the methods discussed below:
Method 1: Restart iPhone
The simplest and the first step that you can take if you are coming across iPhone camera not working black screen issue is to restart your device. Restarting helps your device to get rid of glitches. So, you can also try out this method and if it does fix the issue, you can opt for the other methods given in our article. To restart iPhone, read our article on How to Restart iPhone X.
Method 2: Force Restart iPhone
Are you facing iPhone camera not working issue even after restarting the phone? Don’t worry, because what you can do is force restart your device to resolve the problem. Now, if you might be wondering how you can force restart, read our helpful guide on How to Force Restart iPhone X.
Method 3: Force Close Camera App
You can restart the camera app on your iPhone to fix the iPhone camera not working issue. To learn how to restart camera app on iPhone, follow the steps given below:
Option I: For iPhone X and Later
1. Swipe upwards from the bottom of your home screen and then stop at the middle of your screen. Doing so will show you all the apps that are running currently.
2. Swipe up on the Camera app preview to close it.
Option II: For iPhone 8, iPhone SE, and iPod touch
1. Press the home button twice to see the list of applications that are recently used.
2. Swipe up on the Camera app preview to force close it.
After force closing the Camera app, re-launch it on your iPhone to see if the iPhone camera not working black screen issue is fixed or not.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix iPhone Screen Flickering and Unresponsive
Method 4: Enable Camera from Screen Time Settings
The camera on your iPhone might not work if it has not been enabled/allowed in the Screen Time settings. So, ensure that you enable it to fix the iPhone camera not working issue. To learn how to enable this, read the steps given below:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the Screen Time option.
3. Tap on the Content & Privacy Restrictions option.
4. Tap on Allowed Apps.
5. Then, turn on the toggle for the Camera option.
Method 5: Turn On Flash and Launch Camera
You can also try out this method to resolve the issue. To learn how to turn on flash and launch camera, read the below-mentioned steps:
1. First, navigate to the Control Center by swiping down from the top right corner of the screen and then enable the flash icon.
2A. Then, open the Camera app on your device and then wait for around 15 seconds to ensure the camera is working.
2B. If this did not work and the camera application shows black screen, tap on the flashlight icon again and again on the camera screen to see if the issue resolves.
2C. Even after following the above steps, if the issue still persists, disable Flash Auto to fix the problem.
Also Read: Does iPhone Camera Lens Protector Affect Picture Quality?
Method 6: Switch Between Rear and Front Camera
To resolve the iPhone X camera not working black screen issue, you can opt for this method. To do so, read the below steps:
1. Launch the Camera app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the camera switcher icon from the bottom right corner of your iPhone screen.
3. After that, wait for a while and then tap on the camera switcher icon one more time. See if the issue is resolved.
Method 7: Update iOS
Even though updating your iPhone takes some time and some storage space on your device, after the update bugs get fixed on your device, new features, and emojis are introduced, etc. So, you should keep your iPhone up to date. By updating iPhone, you can also fix the iPhone X camera not working black screen issue.
To update your iPhone firmware, read the steps discussed below:
Note: Before updating your iPhone, ensure that you have a good internet connection.
1. Launch iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on the General option.
3. Next, tap on the Software Update option.
4. Tap on the Download and Install option.
Note: If a message appears asking you to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap on Continue or Cancel.
5A. If you want the update to occur immediately, tap on the Install option.
5B. Or, if you tap on Install Tonight and plug your iOS device into power before you sleep, your device will be updated automatically overnight.
Note: You are also given the option to install the software later by choosing to Remind Me Later.
Method 8: Disable Dark Mode
The dark mode feature lets users change the color scheme of their iPhone from light to dark mode. By disabling the dark mode on your device, you can try to fix the iPhone camera not working issue. To learn how to do this, read below:
1. Navigate to the Settings app and tap on the Display & Brightness option.
2. Next, tap on the Light theme.
If dark mode is not enabled on your device, try to enable it to see if the camera functions well.
Also Read: How to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
Method 9: Disable VoiceOver Feature
If the VoiceOver feature is enabled on your iPhone, then also you can come across the camera not functioning issue. So, disable this feature and then check if the camera app starts working again. To turn off VoiceOver feature, follow the steps given below:
1. Navigate to Settings and tap on the Accessibility option.
2. Tap on the VoiceOver option.
3. Turn off the toggle for the VoiceOver option.
Method 10: Disable Camera Location Access
You can also opt for this method, to resolve the issue. To turn off camera location access, follow the given steps:
1. Go to the iPhone Settings app.
2. Then, tap on the Privacy & Security option.
3. Tap on the Location Services option.
4. Next, tap on Camera > Never.
5. Following that, open the Camera app to check if the issue is resolved.
Also Read: 12 Ways to Fix iPhone Flashlight Not Working
Method 11: Disable Live Photo Feature
Try turning off live photo feature in the camera app to fix the issue. To turn off live photo, navigate to the Camera app and tap on the Live Photo icon to turn it off.
Note: If the live photos icon is turned off, it will have a slash (\) on it, as shown in the illustration below.
Method 12: Reset All Settings
Another method that you could make use of to resolve the problem is this. To reset all settings on your device, follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Launch the iPhone Settings app.
2. After that, tap on the General option.
3. Tap on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Tap on Reset.
5. Tap on Reset All Settings.
Also Read: How to Disable Screenshot on iPhone
Method 13: Factory Reset iPhone
If none of the above methods worked for you, you can factory reset your device. This is an extreme method as it would clear the data from your device. After a factory reset, you might no longer face the iPhone camera not working issue. To gain insights on factory reset iPhone, read and follow our guide on How to Factory Reset iPhone X.
So, we hope you have understood how to fix iPhone camera not working issue and how to restart camera app on iPhone with the detailed methods to your aid. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.