With Apple maps you can locate any place as the directions provided by the app are so easy to understand and follow. After you set the route on the Maps app, then Maps starts speaking turn-by-turn directions to your final destination. Imagine, you are travelling to a new place and suddenly your Apple maps stops working, then this situation can be really frustrating. Don’t worry because in this article we will discuss how to fix Apple maps not working, Apple Maps not showing map issue and more.
How to Fix Apple Maps Not Working
To fix Apple maps not working, or Apple Maps not working today issue, read the methods given by us below:
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Following are a few basic methods to solve the issue.
1A. Restart iPhone
You can fix Apple maps not working issue by opting for this method. To resolve temporary problems, you can restart your device. Your device gets refreshed from bugs and glitches that might be preventing the Apple maps from not working correctly after restarting. Read our article on How to Restart iPhone X to learn how to restart iPhone.
1B. Force Restart iPhone
Force restarting your device can help you fix the temporary glitch in the operating system or in the Maps apps itself. So, you can try out this method as well, if it does not work for you, then you can jump to the other methods discussed in this guide. Read our insightful guide on How to Force Restart iPhone X.
1C. Check Apple System Status
Make sure you check Apple’s System Status page if you are facing some issue with the Maps app, because if Apple’s online services are facing outages, then in that case you cannot do anything. By navigating to the System Status page you can check the maps display, maps search etc. If there is a green circle in front of the options, then that shows that the services are running and active.
1D. Turn Off Wi-Fi
Try turning off Wi-Fi on your device as there can be a possibility that your device is connected to a wireless network with no internet access. So, disable Wi-Fi and let your Apple Maps app make use of the mobile data. To turn off Wi-Fi on your device, navigate to the Settings app, after that tap on the Wi-Fi option and then ensure that it is turned off.
1E. Turn Off Bluetooth
Turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone and then figure out if the issue has been resolved for you. To turn off Bluetooth go to the control center on your device, by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPhone screen, then toggle off Bluetooth.
1F. Toggle off Airplane mode
Make sure to turn off airplane mode on your device because if this is turned on then your iPhone will not connect to the Apple servers by making use of the cellular network or Wi-Fi and thus you might face Apple Maps not showing map issue. To turn off airplane mode, follow the steps mentioned below: Navigate to the control center by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPhone screen. Then, tap on the Airplane mode icon, if it is gray then it means that airplane mode is off.
Note: If on your device Airplane Mode is already turned off, then in that case turn it on, and wait for around 30 seconds, and after that turn it off again. By doing this your connections resets.
1G. Restart Maps App
Another fast and quick way to resolve Apple Maps not working today issue is by closing the iPhone map app completely and then restart it again. To make yourself familiar with how to restart the Apple maps, read the below mentioned steps:
1. On iPhone X or the latest model of iPhone: Swipe upwards from the bottom of your iPhone screen and after that stop at the middle of your screen, following that, all the recently used apps will be shown.
2. On iPhone 8 or an earlier model of iPhone: Double-click the home button to see the recently used apps.
3. Consequently, all the background apps will be visible on your screen, swipe up to close the Maps app and then open it again after few seconds.
Method 2: Re-Enable Location Services
If you want that iPhone Maps app should work properly on your device, then ensure that location services feature is toggled on your device and if it is already on then re-enable it to fix the glitches. To re-enable location services on your device, follow the steps given below:
1. First, launch the Settings app on your device.
2. Then, tap on the Privacy & Security option, and after that tap on the Location services option.
3. Next, toggle off the location services slider. Then, force restart your device and following that toggle on the Location services slider again.
Also Read: 11 Ways to Fix Twitter Not Working on Android and iPhone
Method 3: Set Date and Time Automatically
To fix iPhone maps not working issue, ensure that date and time settings on your device are set to automatic because if your iPhone’s date and time are incorrect then you can come across this problem. So, to learn how to do this, read the steps discussed below:
1. First, go to the Settings app, next tap on the General option.
2. Then, tap on the Date & Time option and toggle on the Set Automatically slider.
Method 4: Disable Focus Mode
If your iPhone is in Focus mode, then this can lead to some issues with the Maps app, so disable the focus mode on your iPhone to fix Apple maps not working issue. To do so, read below:
1. Launch the Settings app, then tap on Focus option.
2. Next, choose a Focus preset like Do not Disturb and disable it.
3. After that, find out if a schedule is set for the Focus and if this is the case, then disable it.
4. Following that, enable Manual or disable Turn on Automatically, and repeat for other Focus Modes also.
Method 5: Update Carrier Settings
An outdated carrier settings on your device can prevent the Maps app on your device to function perfectly. Thus, in such a situation, update the carrier settings. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Navigate to the Settings app.
2. Then, choose the General option, and tap on About.
3. Hereafter, download and install the update if it is available.
4. After that, restart your iPhone, and then go to the Maps app and ensure if it is functioning alright.
Method 6: Re-enable Data Access to Apple Maps
If you wish to opt for this method to fix iPhone Maps not working issue, then follow the given steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and then tap on Maps.
2. Hereafter, disable Cellular Data and force restart your device.
3. Then, disable Wi-Fi and open the Apple Maps app on iPhone.
4. Next, turn on Cellular Data access for Maps when it demands for Data Access.
Also Read: How to Fix iPhone Not Receiving Texts from Android
Method 7: Toggle Off and On Compass Calibration
You may face Apple maps not showing map issue, if compass is not calibrated on your device. To Re-enable Compass Calibration on your iPhone, follow the steps discussed below:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone, then tap on Privacy & Security.
2. Next, tap on Location Services option, and select System Services.
3. Then, toggle off Compass Calibration slider and force restart your iPhone.
4. Now, toggle on the Compass Calibration slider again.
Method 8: Turn Off Background App Refresh
To disable background app refresh, read the given steps.
1. Tap on Settings> General option.
2. Now, tap on Background App Refresh and disable it.
3. After that, navigate to the Maps app and check if it is working alright. If this is the case, then make note of the apps causing the problem for the Apple Maps app by turning on Background App Refresh for the other apps one by one.
Method 9: Re-enable Location Permissions
Try out this method to resolve the issue, you are coming across. Follow the below mentioned steps to fix Apple maps not working issue:
1. Navigate to iPhone Settings app, then tap on Privacy & Security.
2. Now, select Location Services option and tap on Maps.
3. Then, under the Allow Location Access heading choose the Ask Next Time option.
4. After that, toggle on Precise Location and then open the Apple Maps.
5. Then grant the required permissions if location permission is asked, and then ensure if the issue is fixed.
6. If issue still persists, then choose the While Using the App option.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix iPhone Screen Flickering and Unresponsive
Method 10: Reinstall Maps App
Try reinstalling the maps app on your device to resolve the issue. To learn how to do it, read below:
1. First, tap and hold the Maps app icon located on the iPhone home screen.
2. After that, tap on the Remove app option.
3. Next, confirm your choice by tapping on the Delete App option.
4. Then, reinstall the app again from the App store.
Method 11: Reset Location & Privacy
Reset location & Privacy settings on your device to fix Apple Maps Not Working issue. To gain insights on how you can do this, read the steps below:
1. First, go to the iPhone Settings app.
2. Next, tap on the General option.
3. After that, tap on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Then, tap on Reset> Reset Location & Privacy option.
Method 12: Reset Network Settings
Another method that you could try to fix Apple maps not working issue is this. To reset Network settings on your iPhone, follow the below mentioned steps:
1. Navigate to the iPhone Settings app.
2. Hereafter, tap on the General option.
3. Then, tap on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Next, tap on Reset > Reset Network Settings option.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix Screen Record Failed to Save Due to 5823 on iPhone
Method 13: Factory Reset iPhone
The last resort that you can opt for is to factory reset your iPhone. By factory resetting your device you can fix Apple maps not working issue. But make sure that you create a backup before you perform factory reset as all your data and information will be erased. To do so, read our article on How to Factory Reset iPhone X and solve iPhone Maps not working error.
This brings us to the end of our article. We hope after reading our guide you were able to fix Apple maps not working issue. You can reach out to us with your suggestions and queries via the comments section below. Also, let us know what topic you want to gain insights on in our next article.