Facebook is a great platform to socialize and make friends. Since its release in 2004, it has connected friends and families from around the world. It is a sharing platform where you can post a photo, message, status, your whereabouts, and whatnot. The best thing about Facebook is its messaging feature which keeps you connected with your friends on the platform. Especially, waving in a chat is the best way to start a conversation. If you are an alien to this new feature added by Facebook lately, then you have come to the right place. In today’s guide, we will discuss Facebook wave feature, how to use it on different platforms, and all other must-known details about it. Also, we will answer the most asked question about this feature which is, is waving on Facebook flirting? So, be with us till the end of the guide and get started with knowing about waving on Facebook, in detail.
What is Facebook Wave Feature?
- The wave feature on Facebook involves sending a wave emoji to someone in chat.
- This wave emoji is a simple way of saying hello to your Facebook friend.
- It is a great feature to start a conversation on the Facebook Messenger app.
- Earlier there was a poking feature on Facebook which has now been replaced with a wave.
- The feature can be used on a desktop as well as on a mobile phone.
- Sending the waving emoji to a friend or a family member means you want to talk to them.
Is Waving on Facebook Flirting?
No, waving on Facebook is not considered flirting. It can be a simple action from someone who wants to start a conversation with you. Some people also send a wave to their new friends to get acquainted with them. Also, at times a person can send a wave unintentionally due to Facebook’s automatic notification to send a wave. So, there is no way that waving on Facebook is considered flirting.
How to Wave on Facebook Messenger
There are different ways and devices on which you access the Facebook app and send wave emojis to your friends. Let us look at the steps below to send a wave emoji using the Messenger app:
Note: The steps below have been performed on Vivo 1920 (Android).
1. Launch the Facebook Messenger application on your smartphone.
2. Now, Log in to your Facebook account using your correct credentials.
3. Now, tap on the People tab below.
4. You can now see your active or online friends.
5. Select a friend and tap on the emoji icon.
6. Now, find and tap on the Wave emoji.
7. Finally, tap on the send icon.
How to Use Facebook Wave Emoji on Facebook App
Now that you know the process to wave on Facebook Messenger, it is time you explore this amazing feature on the Facebook app as well. Mostly, Android or iOS users operate Facebook via its app that can be installed on phones. So, you can use the wave feature on the Facebook app using the steps below:
Note: The following steps have been performed on an iPhone.
1. Launch the Facebook application on your smartphone.
2. Now, click on the Messenger icon at the top right.
3. Now, in the active or online tab above and select a friend.
4. Open the emoji icon present in the chat.
5. Now, select the wave emoji in it and press send.
Also Read: Facebook Messenger Rooms and Group Limit
How to Use Facebook Wave Feature on Desktop
You can also use the wave feature on your desktop using your Facebook account. Some people prefer a bigger screen and therefore choose to operate Facebook on the web via their laptop/computer. You can send the wave icon from your desktop using the steps below:
1. Launch Facebook website on the browser of your choice.
2. Now, Log in to your account using the correct Email address and Password.
3. Now, click on the Messenger icon at the top right.
4. Click on the three-dotted icon present beside the name of your Facebook friend.
5. Now, click on Open in Messenger.
6. Click on the emoji icon in the chat you have opened.
7. Find the wave icon in it and click on it.
8. Finally, click on the send icon.
How can I Undo a Wave on Facebook Messenger
As you know by now, Facebook keeps on notifying you about sending a wave to newly added friends on the platform. Therefore, there is a high chance that you send a wave to someone by mistake. In this case, you would want to undo that wave using the steps given below:
1. Open the chat of the person you send the wave to in the Messenger app.
2. Now, tap and hold on the sent wave for a menu to pop up. Tap on More.
3. Next, select the Remove button to undo it.
Also Read: How to Send Music on Facebook Messenger
How Can I Send Back Facebook Wave Emoji
You can even receive an emoji from one of your new friends on Facebook. In this case, you must send the wave emoji back to initiate a conversation in Facebook chat. If you don’t know how to send a wave emoji back then go through the following steps:
1. Open the chat window of the friend you want to send a wave back to.
2. You will receive a message saying your friend is waving at you.
3. Now, select tap to wave back.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What happens when you send a wave to someone on Facebook?
Ans. On sending a wave to someone on Facebook, the person will receive your message and most likely send you a wave back.
Q2. Does Facebook send a wave automatically to new friends?
Ans. On adding a new friend, Facebook sends you a notification in which you get an automatic wave that you can choose to send to your friend.
Q3. Can I undo a wave on Facebook?
Ans. Yes, you can undo a wave on Facebook by using the steps provided in the doc above.
Q4. How can you check Facebook waves?
Ans. You can check Facebook waves by opening the people tab in Messenger. You can then open an unread chat and check the wave sent to you.
Q5. What does it mean by a waving hand emoji on Facebook?
Ans. A waving hand emoji on Facebook means a hello or a goodbye. It can be used to start or end a conversation.
We hope that our guide on the what is Facebook wave feature was helpful for you and you get to know about different ways and devices on which you can send a wave emoji to your Facebook friends. In case you have any queries, doubts, or suggestions, you can leave them in the comments section below for us to read.