If you are bored with the yellow-colored folder icon on your desktop, you are not alone. The brain loves visuals to stay alert and change color. The shape of the folder icons may do a world of good to your productivity. Here, we will discuss ways to change folder color Windows 10. After reading this article, you will also know how to color code files in Windows 10 as well as colored folder icons on Windows 10.
How to Change Folder Color in Windows 10
Here, we have shown the ways to change folder color on Windows 10 PC in detail.
Method 1: Through Properties Window
Don’t like the look of your desktop and prefer a different colored folder icon? If your answer is yes, you don’t always need a folder colorizer for Windows 10. Follow the below steps to change folder color Windows 10:
1. Navigate to the folder you want to change the icon, right-click on it, and select Properties.
2. Click on Customize and then select Change Icon…
3. Click on Browse… to choose the icon file downloaded from the ICONS8 website.
4. Select the icon file and click on Open.
5. Click on OK and then Apply.
6. Click on OK to save the changes made.
Also Read: Fix Windows Cant Find One of the Files in This Theme
Method 2: Through Third-Party Tools
Following are the folder colorizer tools for Windows 10.
1. Folder Colorizer
If the previous method to change folder color Windows 10 did not quite appeal and you wish for an easy way out, then the Folder colorizer 2 by Softorino would make life easier for you.
- Customization of folders with different colors.
- Easy restoration to the original folder color.
- Makes available a folder coloring option in Windows Explorer.
- Can be easily installed and uninstalled.
2. Folder Marker
If the yellow color of folders on your desktop bothers you, Folder Marker offers you a folder colorizer for Windows 10. With the help of Folder Marker, you can change the folder colors on your desktop with the click of a mouse. Folder Marker is available in both free and pro versions.
- Change folder color with one click.
- Label folders according to priority.
- Can contain category submenus.
- Work with multiple folders simultaneously.
- Supports 32-bit icons.
- Offers the option of User Icons Tab.
The presence of a Pro version of any software does limit the functionalities offered in the free version. This is also true for software that change folder color Windows 10. Folcolor is open-source and free software for use as a folder colorizer for Windows 10.
- Option to choose from a total of 14 colors.
- Secure software with no adware, data collection.
- Easy and simple to use with a small executable file of 1 MB.
Also Read: Fix File Explorer Dark Theme Not Working on Windows 10
To make things interesting, you may like to change to colored folder icons Windows 10 while working on your projects during your holidays. FolderIco offers you the option to alter those dull-looking yellow-colored folders into more visually appealing ones.
- Accessibility from the software interface, as well as the folder context menu.
- Includes a good collection of icons.
- Reset icons to default values.
Organizing work can be a luxury if you prioritize your files on your desktop. Think about it; all your files have been color-coded based on different criteria, like priorities or type of work. Colors can also be assigned to files based on the user working on them! FileMarker is a third-party software that is available for free and paid versions and can be used to color code files in Windows 10.
- Allows arbitrary change of separate file icons.
- Prioritize work.
- Offers options to color mark files or label them.
- Facilitates portability of color-coded files to other systems having the installed software.
6. Rainbow Folders
Rainbow Folders is another freeware that helps you organize your Windows desktop by providing coloring options for your folders.
- Quick change of folder color.
- Hue, color, and high-contrast icons for folders.
- Simultaneous change colors of multiple folders.
- Change folder icon size.
Also Read: How to Create Minimalist Desktop on Windows 10
Next on the list of folder color changer is StyleFolder. It has some significant features that are listed below:
- Allows enhancement of folder icon, the background of the folder.
- Can change the text color of folders.
- Personalize any folder or subfolder.
- Allows removal of changes to a folder using the Remove Settings option.
8. Folder Painter
Folder Painter can be used to change folder color Windows 10 and is freely available to download and install. This software helps to easily locate and organize folders on our computer by providing options for colored folder icons Windows 10. Let us look at how this folder colorizer for Windows 10 can be used to change your desktop look.
- Three icon packages available by default.
- Availability of up to 21 icon packages.
- Can be customized easily.
- Enable multiple context menus.
Also Read: How to Remove Chrome Themes
If you were looking for software to change folder color Windows 10 with different emblems, icons, or colors, then you need not search further than CustomFolder. This free software by GDZ Software helps you organize your desktop by choosing the colors of your choice for the folder icons. Following are the features of CustomFolder software to color code files in Windows 10.
- Change of icons of different types and change of emblems.
- Comes in zip format.
- Option to add unlimited personal icons.
- 60+ icons come with the software.
- The facility on the folder panel to apply your designs.
- Drag and drop option folders to work on.
- Customization of the folder using color-wheel.
- Clone icon from an already customized folder.
If you are looking for an easy-to-use and free software for adding colors to the Windows folders on your desktop, then iColorFolder is the answer. This software allows you to colorize any folder you wish to and works on Windows XP and above.
- Utilization of native Windows functionality to enhance its efficiency.
- Doesn’t use up much memory.
- Allows classification of folders by Family.
- Open source software.
- Fast and light software.
- Can download more skins.
Also Read: Best 9 Funny Photo Effects Apps
If you are bored of using regular colors and icons for your Windows 10, MyFolder can help to add some fun by offering a nice set of folder color icons with good variation. MyFolder provides the option to change folder color both from the folder context menu and from its interface.
- Free software.
- Attractive colors for folders.
- Customization of the folder context menu.
- Add to the icons library.
- Special icons to categorize folders as favorite, important, and private.
12. Change Folder Icons
If you are looking for a folder colorizer for Windows 10 and have an artistic bend of mind with an affinity to colors, then, Change Folder Icons will surely appeal to you. Let us run you through the steps to change folder color using the software and its features.
- Trial version.
- Quick and hassle-free change of folder color.
- Fits well into the Windows menu shell.
- Plenty of options to customize the folder.
13. Folder Icon Changer 5.3
If you are looking for a folder colorizer for Windows 10 that works on multiple platforms, you can choose Folder Icon Changer 5.3. You can easily change folder colors using this software.
- Freely available for download and use.
- Helps to change the folder icons easily.
- Nice interface.
- Search icons in folders.
- Search icons in files.
Thus, these are the list of software to color code files in Windows 10.
Also Read: 15 Best Free Windows 10 Themes
How to Change Folder Color from ICONS8 Website
You can download the colored icons from the ICONS8 website to be used to colorize folders. Follow the following steps to do so:
1. Navigate to the ICONS8 website.
2. Search for a color. Here, we have chosen blue.
3. Select the blue-colored square-shaped icon.
4. Click on Download.
5. Click on PNG Free, select the appropriate PNG sizes and click on Download.
Note: You can use the downloaded blue square icon to change the color of any folder using Method 1.
Now that you know how to change folder color Windows 10, working with your computer can be fun. The presence of different colors can do a world of good to your attention levels and thus keep you from feeling drowsy. Moreover, if you use color coded files on your desktop, it can also help in memorizing folder details. We are confident that by using a little more color at work, your productivity levels will continue to peak throughout the work week. Happy working!