If you are trying to open an application on your Mac and you get an error message saying you don’t have permission to open the application, there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve the issue.
1. Check the application’s permissions: Open Finder, select the application, and press Command + I to open the Get Info window. Check the Sharing & Permissions section to make sure you have Read & Write access.
2. Check your user account: Make sure you are logged in with an account that has the correct permissions to open the application.
3. Check the application’s security settings: Open System Preferences, select Security & Privacy, and make sure the application is allowed to run.
4. Reinstall the application: If all else fails, try reinstalling the application. This should reset the permissions and allow you to open the application.
The various applications on Mac have different purposes. For instance, you use the Music app to listen to your favorite songs, Safari to browse the desired websites, FaceTime to make video/audio calls to your loved ones, etc. These applications on your Mac make it worth using because without the applications, would it be useful? Besides this, several users have come across you don’t have permission to open the application Mac and you do not have permission to open Mac issues. If it is also bothering you, read this article until the end to find and follow suitable solutions to fix you don’t have permission to open the application problem on your Mac device.
Fix You Don’t Have Permission to Open the Application on Mac
To learn how to fix you don’t have permission to open the application Mac issue, read the methods discussed below.
You will have to provide read and write access to the applications to fix the issue. It is how to do it:
1. Open the Applications folder using Finder.
2. Then, click on the Utilities option.
3. Now, select the Terminal option from the menu.
4. Drag the desired application in the Terminal window and drop it to enter the path.
5. Lastly, close the Terminal window and launch the desired application to which you want to provide access.
Method 1: Enable Sharing and Permissions
To learn how you can verify the Sharing and Permissions, follow the steps discussed below:
1. Navigate to the System Preferences app on your Mac.
2. Then, click on the Sharing option.
3. Select the File Sharing option and expand the Shared Folders.
4. Then, under the Users tab, select the Everyone option and set the Read & Write option.
Also Read: How to Open Applications Folder on Mac
Method 2: Change Recent Items to None
By decreasing the number of recent items, you may fix you don’t have permission to open the application Mac issue. Follow the steps given below:
1. First, go to the System Preferences app and click on the General option.
2. From the Recent Items field, select the None option.
Method 3: Provide Read/Write Access
If there are read/write restrictions for some application files, grant them permission by accessing the Utilities folder to open the Terminal app. To learn how you can do this, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open the Finder app on your Mac.
2. Then, click on the Applications folder.
3. Click on Utilities > Terminal.
4A. Then, enter the following command in the Terminal:
sudo chmod -R 755 <application file path>
Note: In the <application file path> type the full file path of that particular application.
4B. Or drag and drop the target application into the Terminal. So, the full file path will be entered.
5. Exit the Terminal app and launch the target application with was showing you don’t have permission to open the application Mac error.
Also Read: Top 20 Best Mac Clipboard Manager Apps
Method 4: Codesign App
You can codesign the app to resolve you don’t have permission to open the application mac issue.
1. Open the Applications folder.
2. Click on the Utilities folder to access the Terminal app.
3A. Enter the following command in the Terminal:
sudo codesign – force – deep – sign - <application file path>
3B. Or drag and drop the problematic application in the Terminal to get its full file path.
Note: If the codesign command is not working, the xtools might not be pre-installed on your Mac. If you wish to install it, type this command: xcode-select – install.
4. Then, launch the problematic application.
Method 5: Update macOS
To resolve you don’t have permission to open the application Mac, you can try to update your macOS. When you install the latest software available, you can get rid of all the bugs and glitches that may be creating this problem.
Follow the steps mentioned below if you wish to learn how you can update your Mac:
1. First, go to System Preferences on your Mac.
2. Then, click on the Software Update > Upgrade Now option.
Method 6: Remove Quarantine Flag
To remove the quarantine flag so that you can resolve the issue, comply with the steps discussed below:
1. Navigate to the Applications > Utilities folder.
2. Then, launch the Terminal app.
3. Hereafter, enter the following command in the Terminal window:
sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine <application file path>
4. Lastly, open the problematic application.
Also Read: How to Force Quit Mac Applications With the Keyboard Shortcut
Method 7: Unpack Binaries Using UPX
To unpack the compressed binaries using UPX to fix the said issue, follow the steps given below:
1. Open the Terminal app on your device from the Utilities folder.
2. In the Terminal window, enter the following command to install Homebrew.
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
3. After that, enter the below-mentioned command to install UPX.
brew install upx
4. Next, right-click on the problematic application and choose the Show Package Contents option.
5. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
6. Consequently, enter the following command.
sudo upx –d
7. Drag and drop the application UNIX exe to Terminal and press on Return key.
Method 8: Reinstall Application
Another way to fix you don’t have permission to open the application on your Mac is by reinstalling the application again. To make yourself familiar with how you can do that, abide by the given steps:
1. Open the Finder app on your Mac.
2. Then, click on the Applications folder.
3. After that, drag and drop the problematic application that is causing the issue in the Trash that is located at the end of the Dock on your Mac device, as shown below.
4. Reinstall the application again.
Also Read: How to Delete Apps from MacBook
Pro Tip: Open Application Using Rosetta
You can also opt for this method to open an application when you don’t have permission. Read and follow the steps given below:
Note: If Rosetta is not pre-installed in your version of Mac, you can enter /usr/sbin/softwareupdate – install-rosetta – agree-to-license command in the Terminal window to install it.
1. Right-click on the problematic application from the Applications folder.
2. After that, click on the Get Info option.
3. Then, under the General tab, click on the Open using Rosetta option.
4. Next, double-click on the problematic application to open it.
We hope that you learned about how to fix you don’t have permission to open the application Mac issue. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what topic you want to learn about in our next article.
How to Fix ‘You Don’t Have Permission to Open the Application’ on Mac
If you’re trying to open an application on your Mac and you get the error message “You don’t have permission to open the application,” don’t worry. This is a common issue and there are a few simple steps you can take to fix it.
Step 1: Check the Application’s Permissions
The first step is to check the application’s permissions. To do this, open the Finder and navigate to the application you’re trying to open. Right-click on the application and select “Get Info” from the menu. In the window that appears, check the “Sharing & Permissions” section. Make sure that the user you’re logged in as has “Read & Write” permissions.
Step 2: Repair Disk Permissions
If the application’s permissions are set correctly, the next step is to repair disk permissions. To do this, open the “Utilities” folder in the Finder and launch the “Disk Utility” application. Select your hard drive from the list on the left and then click the “First Aid” tab. Click the “Repair Disk Permissions” button and wait for the process to complete.
Step 3: Reinstall the Application
If the above steps don’t work, the next step is to reinstall the application. To do this, open the Finder and navigate to the application you’re trying to open. Drag the application to the Trash and then empty the Trash. Then, reinstall the application from the original source.
If you’re getting the error message “You don’t have permission to open the application” on your Mac, don’t worry. There are a few simple steps you can take to fix the issue. First, check the application’s permissions. Then, repair disk permissions. Finally, if all else fails, reinstall the application.