Windows Update consists of important patches and upgrades to protect your system from malicious attacks. Normally, there are technical glitches in the Windows system that can be exploited to hack the Windows systems. But Microsoft addresses these in updates which can be downloaded and installed by the user. People report problems when updating their Windows system which is called Windows Update error 0x80071160. This error occurs due to a glitch or corrupt Windows Update components. If you are wondering how to perform a Windows 10 update error fix then you are at the right place, Here I will show you how to fix 0x80071160 error.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80071160
We have listed a few possible reasons behind this error.
- Antivirus Conflicts.
- Windows firewall conflicts.
- Corrupt Windows system files.
- Corrupt Windows Update services.
Here, we have shown the troubleshooting methods to fix Windows 10 update 0x80071160 error.
Method 1: Reboot Windows
Before trying any of the methods, first, try rebooting your Windows device to see if it fixes Windows Update error 0x80071160.
1. Press Alt + F4 keys together to open Shut Down Windows window.
2. Click on Restart option from the drop-down menu.
3. Finally, hit the Enter key to reboot your PC.
Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Many times, issues like windows update error 0x80071160 can be solved by performing a windows update troubleshooter, when you run the troubleshooter the system finds any error and fixed itself automatically, to perform the process, follow our guide to run Windows Update troubleshooter.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Method 3: Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
Antivirus or Antimalware applications act vigorously on certain files including Windows Update files. These in turn can cause problems with Windows updates and cause Windows Update error 0x80071160. Open the Antivirus software and disable the protection for some time and try updating the Windows Update. Check our guide to disable Antivirus temporarily on Windows 10.
Method 4: Disable Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)
Disabling the Windows update may fix Windows Update error 0x80071160 problem as shown below.
1. Click on Start menu, type Control panel and click on Open.
2. Open the control panel, make sure the View by option is set to small icons.
3. Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
4. From the left side, click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
5. Now select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall(not recommended) for both the title named private network and public network settings.
6. click OK to confirm.
Also Read: Fix 0x80004002: No Such Interface Supported on Windows 10
Method 5: Manually Download and Install Updates
You can also install the update manually through the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog.
1. Before downloading the update, you need to know the KB number for the update.
2. Go to Settings by simultaneously pressing Windows + I, click on Update & Security.
3. You can note down the KB number if the download fails.
4. Now, see the right side of the update and note down the KB number.
5. Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website and enter the KB number you have noted in the previous step.
6. Click Search to bring up the search results for the update.
7. Click on the Download button on the appropriate file from the website and install it.
Method 6: Repair System Files
An SFC scan fixes broken or corrupt windows files, this is possible by entering the command line command. Check our guide to repair system files on Windows 10 and fix Windows 10 update error.
Also Read: Fix Error Code 0xc1800103 0x90002
Method 7: Restart Windows Update Service
You can restart the Windows update to fix Windows Update error 0x80071160, to do that you need to first clear the software distribution folder, and then restart the Windows update subsequently.
1. Hit the Enter key, type cmd and click on Open to launch Command Prompt.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter key.
net stop wuauserv
3. Then, execute the following command.
net stop bits
Executing the above command will stop the Windows update and Background intelligent transfer service
4. Navigate to the following folder location path.
5. Now select all of the contents and delete them.
6. After deleting the files, run the given command and hit Enter key.
net start wuauserv
7. Now, execute the given command.
net start bits
This will restart the Windows update services, and check if Windows 10 update 0x80071160 error still exists.
Also Read: Fix 0x800f0831 Windows 10 Update Error
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How can I fix a Windows update error?
Ans. You can use the Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the issue. Access the troubleshooter by going to the windows settings update and security troubleshoot and additional troubleshooter and finally run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Q2. Why are windows update failing to update?
Ans. If there are corrupt or missing files in the system, then windows update failure can occur.
Q3. Can I force a Windows repair?
Ans. Yes, you can force an automatic windows repair, go to start and restart the computer, press the F11 key to go to the Recovery menu go to the advanced options and click Startup Repair.
Q3. Why does the Windows update failing to install?
Ans. Sometimes, other updates which were not installed can cause problems to your PC, update the leftover updates before updating the new ones. Sometimes, due to insufficient space, this error can also occur, make sure you’re your disk has enough space before attempting to install the update.
Q4. Can I force Windows update to install?
Ans. Yes, for this you need to run the command prompt as an administrator and enter wuauclt.exe /updatenow command, and hit Enter key. The Windows updates will be forced-checked by this command on the command prompt, after this, you can check if the updates were installed in the settings menu.
Q5. How can I manually install the updates?
Ans. Traditionally it is being done through the Microsoft Windows catalog, you need to enter the KB number and download and install the package to install manually.
Q6. Can I bypass a Windows Update?
Ans. In Windows 10 to bypass the update, click on Start and go to Settings and Update and Security, and finally Windows Update. Select pause updates for 7 says to temporarily postpone the update.
We hope that this guide helped you to solve Windows Update error 0x80071160 on your PC. Please let us know about your queries and suggestions in the comment section below.