If you are an Android user, you may have encountered the “Google Play Authentication is Required” error when trying to access the Google Play Store. This error can be caused by a variety of issues, including incorrect account settings, corrupted data, or a problem with the Google Play Store itself. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to fix this issue and get back to using the Google Play Store. In this article, we will discuss the various methods you can use to fix the Google Play Authentication is Required error on Android.
Fix Google Play Authentication is Required Error on Android
1. Clear Google Play Store data:
Go to Settings > Apps > Google Play Store > Storage > Clear Data.
2. Clear Google Play Services data:
Go to Settings > Apps > Google Play Services > Storage > Clear Data.
3. Clear Google Services Framework data:
Go to Settings > Apps > Google Services Framework > Storage > Clear Data.
4. Restart your device:
Restart your device and try to open the Google Play Store again.
5. Re-add your Google account:
Go to Settings > Accounts > Google and remove your Google account. Then add it again.
6. Update Google Play Store:
Go to the Google Play Store and check if there is an update available. If yes, update it.
7. Reset app preferences:
Go to Settings > Apps > Menu > Reset app preferences.
Google Play Store is one of the common sources on Android phones from which users download almost all of the apps and games on their phones. It is the most reliable and safe app to download the desired applications for free or with a set price. But, sometimes, users face the Google Play authentication is required error on their Play Store app, which prevents them from installing an application on their Android phone. Read this article till the end to learn the methods to fix the authentication is required you need to sign in Google account issue immediately.
How to Fix Google Play Authentication is Required Error on Android
Some of the reasons why this error would occur on your Android device are listed below:
- Non-synced Google account
- Restricted data usage for the Play Store app
- Enabled purchase authentication in the Play Store app
- Corrupted Play Store app cache and data
- Defective Play Store updates
Below are the methods listed for you to read and follow to learn how to authenticate your Google Play account on your phone.
Note: Since smartphones do not have the same Settings options, they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any on your device. These steps were performed on MIUI 11 based Xiaomi phone, as shown in the illustrations below.
Method 1: Force Stop Google Play Store
The very first solution to fix the authentication is required you need to sign in Google account error is to force stop the target application. In this case, you can force stop the Play Store application with the help of the steps mentioned below.
Note: Force-stopping the Play Store application will not delete any of your Google account data.
1. Open the Settings application on your Android device.
2. Swipe down and tap on Apps from the list, as shown below.
3. Tap on Manage apps > Google Play Store.
4. In the Google Play Store App info screen, tap on Force stop from the bottom of the screen, as depicted.
5. Tap on OK to confirm the popup.
Reopen the Play Store app to see if the said issue is fixed or not.
Method 2: Resync Google Account
When the Google account is not synced with the phone settings, you can face the Google Play authentication is required error often. Let us see the steps to manually sync your Google account from the phone settings.
1. Launch the Settings app on your phone.
2. Tap on the Account & sync option from the bottom of the menu list.
3. Tap on Google, as depicted below.
4. Choose and tap on the desired Google account from the available ones.
5. Tap on the More icon from the bottom, as shown.
6.. Tap on the Sync now option.
7. After the account is synced, launch the Play Store app and see if you are still facing the issue or not.
Also Read: How to Remove a Google Account from your Android Device
Method 3: Disable Restrict Data Usage
The data restriction for the Play Store app may instigate the discussed error on your Android device. Often the data saver mode causes this. To know how to authenticate your google play account by disabling data restrictions for Play Store, follow the upcoming steps.
1. Reach the Google Play Store App info screen, as discussed in Method 1.
2. Tap on the Restrict data usage option, as shown below.
3. Tick off the Mobile data or Wi-Fi option from the popup and tap on OK.
The data usage will now be unrestricted and the error may disappear from the Play Store app on your device this time.
Method 4: Disable Play Store Purchase Authentication
If you have enabled the authentication for the Play Store purchases, there is a certain chance you will see the Google Play authentication is required issue on the Play Store app. Read and follow the steps below to disable the purchase authentication option on the Play Store app.
1. Open the Play Store app on your phone.
2. Tap on the Profile icon from the top right corner, as shown below.
3. Tap on the Settings option.
4. Tap on the Authentication drop-down option.
5. Tap on Require authentication for purchases.
6. Select the Never field, as shown below.
7. Enter the Google password to confirm the process and tap on OK.
Also Read: How to Fix Server Error in Google Play Store
Method 5: Clear Play Store Cache
You can also get rid of the error in question by clearing the cache and data of the Play Store from the phone settings.
1. Open the Settings app and Play Store App info menu.
2. Tap on the Clear data option from the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap on Clear cache and Clear all data options and confirm the popups one by one.
4. Relaunch the Play Store app to see if the issue is fixed or not.
Method 6: Uninstall Play Store Updates
If clearing data and cache hasn’t worked for you to solve the discussed issue, try the below steps demonstrating the method to uninstall the Play Store app updates.
1. Open the Settings app and navigate to the Play Store App info menu, as demonstrated earlier.
2. Tap on Uninstall updates option, as shown below.
3. Confirm the prompt by tapping on OK.
Also Read: Fix Play Store DF-DFERH-01 Error
Method 7: Re-Add Google Account
You may have to remove and add your Google account again on your phone to resolve Google Play authentication is required error if the earlier steps didn’t help. Below are the steps explaining how you can remove and add your Google account.
1. Reach the Account sync screen, as explained before.
2. Tap on the More icon > Remove account.
3. From the Account & sync screen, swipe down and tap on Add account, as shown.
4. Tap on the Google option from the list.
5. Now, follow the on-screen instruction to Sign in and add the desired Google account again with the correct account credentials.
Also Read: 15 Best Google Play Store Alternatives (2021)
Method 8: Install Play Store APK File
Finally, if nothing has worked, you can download an APK file of the desired apps and games you can’t access through the Play Store app. Read our guide on Safest Website For Android APK Download to learn which sites you can use.
So, we hope you have understood how to fix the Google Play authentication is required you need to sign in Google account error with the help of the detailed steps. You can let us know any queries about this article or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.
Fix Google Play Authentication is Required Error on Android
Are you getting the “Authentication is required. You need to sign into your Google Account” error message when trying to use the Google Play Store on your Android device? This error can be caused by a variety of issues, but luckily there are a few simple solutions that can help you get back up and running in no time.
Solution 1: Check Your Internet Connection
The first thing you should do is make sure your device is connected to the internet. If you’re using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to a different network or restarting your router. If you’re using a mobile data connection, make sure you have a strong signal and that your data plan is active.
Solution 2: Clear the Google Play Store Cache
If your internet connection is working properly, the next step is to clear the Google Play Store cache. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > Google Play Store > Storage > Clear Cache. This will reset the app and may help resolve the issue.
Solution 3: Uninstall Google Play Updates
If clearing the cache doesn’t work, you can try uninstalling any recent Google Play Store updates. To do this, go to Settings > Apps > Google Play Store > Uninstall Updates. Once the updates have been removed, restart your device and try opening the Google Play Store again.
Solution 4: Reset Your Google Account
If none of the above solutions work, you may need to reset your Google Account. To do this, go to Settings > Accounts > Google > Remove Account. Once the account has been removed, restart your device and add your Google Account again. This should resolve the issue.
If you’re getting the “Authentication is required. You need to sign into your Google Account” error message on your Android device, there are a few simple solutions that can help you fix the issue. Try checking your internet connection, clearing the Google Play Store cache, uninstalling recent Google Play Store updates, or resetting your Google Account. Hopefully one of these solutions will help you get back up and running in no time.