DS4 Windows is a free portable program and virtual emulator that helps in using and connecting the PlayStation controller (Dual Shock 3,4 and Dual Sense) to the PC. DS4 Windows provides users with more PC games that can be played using the PlayStation controller. Not just that, but it also helps in remapping and rebinding the keys or buttons which can be modified to anything that you want. DS4 Windows is indeed an asset for PC users but amidst all these advantages, sometimes, the program encounters an issue where it is unable to open. If you are someone who is dealing with the same issue where your DS4 Windows could not open and are finding fixes for the same then you are at the right place to be. We have a perfect and detailed guide for you that will inform you about the reasons behind the issue and competent methods that can help you fix it. So, without waiting any further, let us get started with the guide right now.
How to Fix DS4 Windows Could Not Open in Windows 10
Various reasons can be the interference behind the inability of the DS4 Windows not open. From update issues to bugs, there are varied reasons that are listed below:
- Bug interference in Windows update.
- Outdated version of DS4 Windows on PC.
- Issues with Bluetooth drivers.
- Incompatibility between the system and DS4 Windows.
Below are the methods that can help you deal with failed installation or inability of the DS4Windows to open. Walk your way down to all the methods till you find the one that helps in your case.
The first thing to do when you can’t open DS4 Windows on the system is to check if your PC is compatible with the program. To check this, you can make sure that essential requirements needed in a system to run DS4Windows are met. Below are necessary PC requirements:
- Microsoft .NET 5.0 Runtime or above is a must.
- Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable is required.
- Compatible controllers that are needed include DualShock 4 and Ps5 supported Xbox controllers.
- Virtual Gamepad Emulation Framework driver (ViGEmBusv.1.17.333.0) or higher is required.
- A Micro USB cable or a compatible Bluetooth connection (Windows built-in or an adapter) is a must.
- Ensure to disable the PlayStation Configuration Support option in Steam.
Method 1: Update DS4Windows
The next thing to make sure to avoid the DS4 Windows could not open issue is by making sure that your DS4 Windows is up to date. To update this free program, you can use the DS4Updater tool which comes along with the installation folder of DS4Windows.
1. Browse the location of DS4Windows and open the folder.
2. Now, locate and double-click on DS4Updater to launch it.
Once the updating process is complete, restart the system and launch DS4Windows to see if it is working fine.
Method 2: Update Bluetooth Drivers
The next method that can help you out with the issue of DS4Windows install failed is updating the Bluetooth drivers on your PC. Outdated Bluetooth drivers are a common cause of the program not working.
Note: Make sure that the Bluetooth adaptor is switched on.
1. Open the Run dialog box by hitting the Windows + R keys together.
2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter key to open Device Manager window.
3. Now, double-click on Bluetooth.
4. Right-click on Bluetooth device under it and select Update driver.
5. Now, opt for the Search automatically for drivers option.
Once the update is complete, check if the issue with the failed installation of DS4Windows has been resolved.
Also Read: Fix Bluetooth Driver Error in Windows 10
Method 3: Uninstall Latest Windows Updates
It is also possible that the new update in your system is causing a problem with DS4Windows use. So, if you have recently updated your Windows then uninstall the latest version to resolve the issue.
1. Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Windows Setting.
2. Select the Update & Security settings.
3. Now, click on View update history.
4. Select Uninstall updates.
5. Now, right-click on latest update and click on Uninstall.
Once the process of uninstalling the latest update is complete, restart your PC.
Method 4: Re-enable Controller Driver
If even uninstalling the latest Windows update didn’t help you in DS4 Windows could not open issue then try re-enabling the controller in the Device Manager window on your PC to help resolve the problem.
1. Press the Windows key, type device manager and click on Open.
2. Now, double-click on Human Interface Devices.
3. Right-click on the controller driver and select Disable device.
Note: We have shown HID-compliant touch screen driver as an example.
4. Then, right-click on the driver again and select Enable device.
Now, restart your PC to check if the DS4Windows not opening error is resolved.
Also Read: Fix Active Directory Domain Controller Could Not Be Contacted
Method 5: Download Drivers Manually
Another method that can be of great help is downloading the drivers manually onto the system which helps a great deal in DS4Windows install failed issue. So, follow the steps below to manually download them:
1. Open your browser and download the InputMapper HID Guardian drivers.
2. Once the download is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process.
Method 6: Allow DS4Windows Through Firewall
The firewall on your PC may be blocking DS4Windows from opening up. Firewall and network protection can block third-party applications; therefore, it is important that you pass the program through the firewall and to do so you can follow the steps given below:
1. Open Windows Settings and select Update & Security setting.
2. Click on the Windows Security in the left pane.
3. Now, select Firewall & network protection.
4. Click on the Allow an app through firewall option.
5. Now, locate the DS4Windows application and ensure that both Private and Public boxed are checked.
6. Then, click on OK to save the changes made.
Now, you can check to see if the issue has been resolved on your PC, and if the DS4Windows program is running fine.
Also Read: How to Map Controller to Keyboard
Method 7: Reinstall DS4Windows Program
If you are still struggling with launching DS4 Windows and are asking yourself why won’t my DS4 Windows won’t open, then we have a perfect solution for you in the name of reinstalling DS4 Windows. The downloaded file of your DS4Windows program may be corrupt or broken. So, installing it again can help you in resolving the issue. But before you proceed with that, you first need to uninstall the program which you can do with the help of the following steps:
Note: Download .NET 5.0 Runtime beforehand to avoid .NET Runtime error.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, and click on Open.
2. Set View by > Large icons, then click on Programs and Features.
3. Locate and right-click on Nefarious Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus Driver to Uninstall it.
4. Now, browse to the location of DS4Windows to remove all the files from your PC.
5. Next, search %Appdata% in File Explorer and press Enter.
6. Now, in the Roaming directory delete DS4Windows folder.
7. Once the program is uninstalled, open your browser and download DS4Windows.
8. Now, extract the downloaded zip file of DS4Windows.
9. Open the folder and double-click on DS4Windows.
10. Next, select Appdata to save profiles and settings.
11. Now, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process of DS4Windows.
12. Then, in the Settings tab, select the Hide DS4 Controller for double input connection issues.
Now check for the DS4 Windows unable to open an issue and see if it is resolved.
Also Read: Fix PS4 Controller Flashing White
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is my DS4Windows not launching?
Ans. One of the common reasons behind DS4 Windows not opening and being unable to detect PS4 is if the controller is disabled.
Q2. Does DS4 Windows work on Windows 11?
Ans. Yes, DS4 Windows works on Windows 11. However, it is important to check the system requirements before running it on your Windows.
Q3. Where can I find DS4 Windows installed on my PC?
Ans. You can find the DS4 Windows installed folder in the AppData folder or the Program folder in your system.
Q4. Why is DS4 Windows on my system unable to recognize the controller?
Ans. If DS4 Windows on your PC is unable to recognize the controller then it is most probably due to the outdated version of the controller. Therefore, to make it recognizable by DS4, make sure that the software of your controller is updated with the latest version.
Q5. What will happen if I reset my PS4 controller?
Ans. In case you reset your PS4 controller, it will flush the memory of the controller and it will also resolve any issues involved with it.
We hope that our guide on how to fix DS4 Windows could not open issue has helped you with multiple methods to fix it. Also, let us know which one of the methods guided you the most. If you have more queries or suggestions to give, then leave a comment down below.