Dota 2 is one of the most popular online multiplayer games that can be accessed on PC. Yet, the game is not perfect for all gamers, since few users face Dota 2 not responding issue on their Windows 10 PC. If you are also facing Dota 2 black screen problem on your PC, you are lucky enough that you are reading this article. The troubleshooting methods discussed in this article will help you fix Dota 2 not working issue.
How to Fix Dota 2 Not Responding in Windows 10
There is no specific reason that triggers Dota 2 black screen issue. However, we have examined a number of web reports and discussion forums and have compiled a list of potential causes for the issue on your Windows 10 PC.
- The system requirements for the game are not met.
- Some background program is blocking the game.
- You are not using admin rights for the game to operate it functionally.
- The corrupt Windows Store cache is preventing the game from being opened.
- Inappropriate date and time settings.
- The game is not set to high priority but your PC has high performance in Power settings.
- The graphics drivers on your PC are not compatible.
- Antivirus or firewall program on your PC is preventing the game from normal launch.
- Microsoft Visual C++ packages are not in the latest version.
Here are some effective troubleshooting methods that will help you fix Dota 2 black screen issue on your Windows 10 PC.
System Requirements to Play Dota 2
Before seeing the solutions, you must check whether your computer meets the system requirements of this game.
- CPU SPEED: Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
- RAM: 4 GB
- OS: Windows 7 or newer
- VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600
- PIXEL SHADER: 4.0
- VERTEX SHADER: 4.0
- SOUND CARD: DirectX Compatible
- FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 256 MB
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Here are a few basic methods to fix Dota 2 not working issue.
1A. Run Valheim as administrator
Certain permissions and features can only be accessed if you have granted admin rights to the Dota 2 game. In this scenario, you can fix Dota 2 not responding issue by following the below-listed instructions.
1. Right-click on the Dota 2 shortcut on the desktop or navigate the installation directory and right-click on it.
2. Now, select Properties option.
3. Then, switch to Compatibility tab and check the box Run this program as an administrator.
4. Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Check if you have fixed Dota 2 black screen issue.
1B. Close Background Processes
Several background processes running on your PC may interfere with Doat 2 processes. These programs may contribute to the Dota 2 black screen issue. Follow our guide How to End Task in Windows 10 to exit from all background processes.
1C. Repair System Files
If there are any missing or damaged files on your Windows 10 PC, you will face Dota 2 not responding problem. Yet, you are repairing these corrupt files by using inbuilt utilities namely, System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management.
Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and follow the steps as instructed to repair all your corrupt files.
1D. Run Malware Scan
The presence of a virus or malware attack will result in gaming problems on your computer. If in case, the virus attack is very severe, you cannot connect to any online game continuously at all. To resolve the problem, you have to remove the virus or malware completely from your Windows 10 computer.
You are advised to scan your computer as instructed in our guide How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?
Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, check our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10. Once you have removed all the viruses from your computer, connect to your game and check if you face Dota 2 not launching Windows 10 issue again.
Also Read: How to Uninstall McAfee LiveSafe in Windows 10
1E. Remove Temporary Files
Few users have suggested that clearing some disk space on PC has helped them sort out Dota 2 not working issue. This will enable your computer to install new files whenever needed which will help you fix Dota 2 black screen problem.
If there is minimum available space in your computer contributing to the launching problem in Dota 2, follow our guide 10 Ways to Free Up Hard Disk Space On Windows which helps you clear all unnecessary files on your computer.
1F. Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
Any new latest updates of the game may sometimes be prevented by the antivirus suite. Antivirus software like Avast and Norton are most likely to prevent any latest update of Windows and it is advised to disable any third party or inbuilt antivirus software temporarily to fix this issue. Read our article on How to Disable Antivirus Temporarily on Windows 10 and follow the steps in the guide to disable your Antivirus program temporarily on your PC.
After fixing Dota 2 black screen issue on your PC, make sure to re-enable the antivirus program since a system without a security suite is always a threat.
1G. Disable Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)
At times, Windows Defender Firewall in your computer may prevent the game from being opened due to some security reasons. In this case, Dota 2 may not open due to Windows Defender Firewall. If you don’t know how to disable the Windows Defender Firewall, go through our guide How to Disable Windows 10 Firewall, and follow the instructions that are given.
You can follow this guide Allow or Block Apps through the Windows Firewall to allow the app.
Make sure to enable the Firewall suite again after updating your device as a computer without a firewall program is a threat.
1H. Update Windows
If your computer has any bugs then it might cause the Dota 2 issue, you can simply fix this by updating your operating system. Follow the steps that are given in this guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update if you are new to updating your Windows 10 PC.
Check if the Dota 2 not launching Windows 10 issue is fixed after updating the Windows.
Method 2: Change Game Priority
The preference of an application or process tells the computer the importance and if it should be given preference over the others while allocating the resources. The priority of every application is normal except the system processes, by default. Dota 2 might crash if it didn’t get enough resources.
1. Hit the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open the Task Manager.
2. Now, search for Dota 2 process.
3. Then change the priority to High Priority and check if this works.
Note: Change the priority with great caution as changing the priority of the process carelessly could make your system extremely slow or unstable.
4. Close Task Manager and reboot your computer and check whether Dota 2 not launching on Windows 10 issue is solved.
Method 3: Change Display Resolution
If you face Dota 2 not working on loading screen, there are a few possibilities that the display resolution of your computer is conflicting with the game. In this case, you have to lower the display resolution and try again later as instructed below.
1. Press the Windows + D keys together to navigate to Desktop.
2. Now, right-click on desktop and select Personalise option.
3. Then, in the left pane, click on Display, and in the right pane choose a lower screen resolution under Display resolution as shown.
Once you have adjusted the Display resolution, check if you were able to fix Dota 2 not responding issue.
Method 4: Verify Integrity of Game Files
We have seen many cases in which the game files are either missing or corrupt or it had incomplete installations. Users could also experience Dota 2 not responding issue if they are interrupted by the update process or if the game files are being moved. In this method, you will be opening Steam and using the built-in function for verifying the integrity of the game. It will be replaced if the application finds something. Follow our guide on how to verify integrity of game files on Steam.
Note: You should perform similar steps if you are using different publishing software.
Also Read: How to Disable Steam Overlay in Windows 10
Method 5: Update Steam Client and Game
If you use an outdated Steam application, you cannot access any games smoothly. Hence always make sure you use an updated version of Steam and Dota 2 game before launching it.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Steam, then click on Open.
2. Now, click on Steam in the top left corner of the screen followed by Check for Steam Client Updates… as highlighted below.
3. If you have any new updates to be downloaded, install them and ensure your Steam client is up-to-date.
4. Now, relaunch Steam and check if Dota 2 not working issue is solved now.
Likewise, it is always essential that your game run at its latest version to avoid any conflicts. Until your game is updated, you cannot log in to Dota 2 servers successfully. To update your game, follow the below-mentioned steps.
1. Launch Steam and navigate to LIBRARY.
2. Now, click on HOME and search for Dota 2.
3. Then, right-click on the game and select the Properties… option.
4. Now, switch to the UPDATES tab and check if any updates are pending in action. If so, follow the on-screen instructions to download the latest updates.
After an update, check if Dota 2 black screen issue is fixed.
Also Read: Fix Steam Game Randomly Uninstalled Itself on Windows 10
Method 6: Update or RollBack Graphics Drivers
If the above methods did not work for you, it is possible that you do not have the correct graphics drivers installed on your computer. Drivers facilitate the interaction between the hardware and the game and are the important components. If the drivers are corrupt or outdated, it may cause Dota 2 not responding issue on the PC.
Option I: Update Graphics Driver
If you do not know to update the graphics drivers follow the instructions given in this guide 4 Ways to Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10.
Option II: Roll Back Graphics Driver Updates
There is no use in reinstalling or updating the drivers if the current version of the graphics drivers is not compatible with your game. Rolling back the drivers to the previous version is all you have to do and to do so follow the instructions that are given in this guide How to Rollback Drivers on Windows 10.
Once you have rolled back your drivers, check if you have fixed Dota 2 not responding issue or not.
Also Read: Fix Valorant Graphics Driver Crashed in Windows 10
Method 7: Reinstall Graphics Drivers
If updating your graphics drivers did not fix the discussed issue, then try reinstalling the graphics drivers. There are various methods to reinstall the graphics drivers on Windows. If you are new to reinstalling the graphic drivers, read this guide How to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers on Windows 10 and follow the instruction given there.
After reinstalling the graphics drivers, check if the Dota 2 not working issue is resolved.
Method 8: Update .NET Framework
Most the users enjoy uninterrupted service of modern games and apps and the .NET framework is essential in Windows 10 for this. Many games will have an auto-update option for the .NET framework and hence, it will be updated automatically whenever there is an update available. You can also install the latest version of the .NET framework and to do so follow the following steps.
1. Go to the official Microsoft website and check for new updates for the .NET framework.
2. Click on the recommended or corresponding link and click the Download. .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime option, if there are any updates.
Note: As some software use Download .NET Framework 4.8 Developer Pack, it is not recommended to click on it.
3. Go to My downloads and run the downloaded file by double clicking on the setup file.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the .NET framework on your computer.
After doing this, check if Dota 2 not working issue is fixed.
Also Read: How to Download Hextech Repair Tool
Method 9: Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Alternately, you can try to repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages to fix Dota 2 not responding issue as follows:
1. Hit the Windows key and type Apps & features. Click on Open.
2. Search for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
3. Select the package, then click on Modify option.
4. Then, click Yes on the User Account Control dialog box.
5. In the pop-up window that appears, click on Repair. Wait for the process to finish.
6. Make sure to do this for each C++ package by repeating Steps 3 & 4.
7. Finally, restart the PC.
Open the application that you were unable to open previously. If this did not work, try reinstalling the C++ redistributable instead.
Method 10: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
If the previous method of repairing the Microsoft C++ Visual Redistributable did not fix Dota 2 not launching Windows 10, then you will have to reinstall the redistributable. Follow the given steps to uninstall & then install these again.
1. Open the Apps & features system settings.
2. Select the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, then click on Uninstall option.
3. Click on Uninstall option again to confirm and remove the package.
Note: Make sure to uninstall all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages.
4. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt, then click on Run as administrator.
5. Type the following command and press the Enter key.
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
6. Once the process is complete, reboot the PC.
7. Next, visit the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable webpage to download the latest C++ package as shown here.
8. Once downloaded, open the downloaded file by double-clicking on it in My downloads. Install the package by following the on-screen instructions.
9. Once the installation is complete, finally restart the PC.
Open the game and check if you face the loading problem again. If the issue persists, then try the next alternatives.
Also Read: Fix Runtime Error C++ on Windows 10
Method 11: Reinstall DirectX
To enjoy a seamless multimedia experience on Dota 2, you have to make sure whether DirectX is installed, and it is updated to its latest version. DirectX helps you improve the visual media experience for graphical games and applications especially. DirectX 12 is flexible for high graphical support applications in your Windows 10 computer. This lets the game know what to do and you can follow the below-mentioned steps to check if your system already contains DirectX 12.
1. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type dxdiag then hit Enter key to launch DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
3. Check the DirectX Version, if it contains DirectX 12 or not.
4. If you do not have DirectX 12 in your system, download and install it from the DirectX download page by following the on-screen instructions.
After installing DirectX, check if Dota 2 not working issue occurs again.
Method 12: Update BIOS
Several Windows 10 users around the world have reported that Dota 2 not responding issue vanished after updating BIOS. But in case, if you have the latest version of BIOS and still face the same error, you must reinstall BIOS. If all the above methods fail to fix Dota 2 not working problem, you are advised to update BIOS as instructed in our guide What is BIOS and how to update BIOS?
Also Read: Fix Steam Image Failed to Upload
Method 13: Reinstall Dota 2
Dota 2 could be the reason behind Dota 2 not responding issue, and there is no harm in reinstalling the game on Steam. Implement the steps given below to uninstall Dota 2.
1. Launch Steam application as done earlier.
2. Select Library option on the menu.
3. Then, right-click the Dota 2 game and select Uninstall in the drop-down.
4. Select the Delete button to confirm the uninstallation process on the Steam pop-up.
5. Close the application once the uninstallation process is complete.
6. Relaunch the Steam application.
7. In the search bar, type and select Dota 2.
8. Click Play Now to install the game.
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Dota 2 not responding issue on Windows 10. Let us know which method worked for you the best to fix Dota 2 not working problem. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.