Amazon Prime Video is a video-on-demand streaming platform that offers over-the-top content. Popularly known as Prime Video, this advanced platform is home to entertaining content from all over the world, Amazon Original shows, popular movies, hit TV shows, and a lot more. It is a subscription service that has got users hooked. While it is such an amazing platform that can be binged watched for hours, it has lately been called out for Amazon Prime Video buffering issue. Although it is a common problem to occur, we have got you covered with our guide on how to fix Amazon Prime buffering on your device. This doc uncovers some reasons that trigger this error as well as suitable fixes that you can imply to get it fixed. So, stay with us till the end and find yourself a perfect solution, and get started with watching Amazon Prime Video without any interruption by solving Amazon Prime slow streaming issue.
How to Fix Amazon Prime Video Buffering Issue
Many users have complained to face buffering issues on Amazon Prime Video while streaming content on Smart TVs, PCs, Xbox, PS4, and Roku device. Commonly issues like buffering, stuttering, lagging, skipping, poor video quality, insufficient bandwidth, and more are encountered. Before we get started with troubleshooting this issue, let us look at some probable reasons that cause the problem:
- Low Internet Speed: When internet speed requirements for streaming Amazon Prime Video content are not met, you can face buffering error. Usually, 3Mb/s is required for SD quality content, 5Mb/s for HD video, and 25Mb/s for ultra-HD 4k quality.
- Device Issue: The device you are using to stream Prime Video content can also cause lagging problem due to certain configurations.
- Outdated App or Software Version: If the Prime Video app or the software of your operating system is outdated, it can also result in the mentioned problems.
- Amazon App Issues: Minor glitches or bugs in the Amazon Prime Video app can also stop it from streaming its content without buffering.
Amazon Prime buffering is an issue that can be resolved by following some simple measures, whether it is hardware-related, app issues, or software issues of the device you are using Prime Video on, you can easily troubleshoot the error using the fixed stated below:
Method 1: Basic Hardware Troubleshooting Methods
Before getting started with advanced troubleshooting methods, let us fix the buffering error with some basic hacks first.
1A. Improve Low Internet Speed
The first step in resolving Amazon Prime Video freezing is by checking your internet connection. You can start by checking the speed of your internet, disconnecting other devices from your Wi-Fi network, and closing bandwidth-hogging apps from your device. You can also check our guide on How to Increase Wi-Fi Internet Speed on Windows 10 to fix any issues if found.
1B. Use an Ethernet Cable
The next thing that you can do is use an ethernet cable in case you are using a Smart TV to stream Amazon Prime Video. Using an ethernet cable to connect your Smart TV to your router will help in providing a higher speed of internet for your Prime Video account and streaming content without buffering.
1C. Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
You can also perform a simple power cycle on your Wi-Fi router to resolve Amazon Prime Video stuttering due to internet issues. Performing a power cycle will also clear the temporary cache and networking glitch if any are found. To perform a power cycle on your Wi-Fi router, perform the steps given below:
1. First, turn off your router and wait for the LED indicators to turn off.
2. Now, unplug the power cables from the router.
3. Next, wait for about 30 seconds and then plug the power cables back into the router.
4. Finally, switch on the router and check if the buffering issues have been fixed.
Method 2: Restart Amazon Prime App
The next possible solution to fix Amazon Prime slow streaming is to restart the Amazon Prime app on your device. Often services like Amazon can interfere with the Prime Video desktop application which may lead to Amazon Prime Video buffering error. Therefore, to fix it, you can try to close the app from the task manager by ending all the processes. To do so, you can check our guide on How to End Task in Windows 10 to restart the Amazon Prime app.
Also Read: How to Reset Amazon Prime Video Pin
Method 3: Update Amazon Prime App
If you have resolved the internet issues on your device and are still experiencing Amazon Prime Video buffering error then you must try updating the Prime Video app. While on many devices the app is known to update itself, on other devices such as PCs, you might have to manually update it to resolve any buffering issues with its content. To update Amazon Prime Video on your Windows PC, follow the instruction given below:
1. Open the Microsoft Store application on your Windows PC.
2. Open the Library section of the Store.
3. Click on Get updates to download the latest version of Prime Video, if available.
Method 4: Download Content on Amazon Account
If network issues tend to persist and are stopping you from watching the uninterrupted streaming of movies and shows on Amazon Prime Video then you can download the content you want to watch on your Amazon account. Doing so will enable you to watch the downloaded content without the internet anytime and will also avoid Amazon Prime Video freezing. To know more about how to download content on Amazon Prime, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Amazon Prime Video app on your device and select the show or movie you want to download.
2. Now, click on the Download option under the Details section.
3. Next, confirm the saved content location and select the resolution.
4. Now, confirm the process by clicking on Start Download.
The content will automatically be saved allowing you to watch it later without buffering.
Also Read: How Can You Recover Your Amazon Account
Method 5: Adjust Prime Video Streaming Quality
If your Prime Video app is using high quality for streaming content on your device then you are vulnerable to experiencing Amazon Prime Video stuttering issues. Therefore, if you are trying to stream the app content in 4K HD quality, you must adjust it and decrease the streaming quality to avoid Amazon Prime slow streaming error.
1. Launch the Amazon Prime Video app.
2. Now, launch the app’s Menu.
3. Next, open the app’s Settings.
4. Select Stream and Download and click on Streaming Quality and Download Quality.
5. Next, change the quality to a lower level.
Once you have updated the new resolution settings, check if the freezing error has been fixed.
Method 6: Clear Amazon Prime App Cache
In order to know how to fix Amazon Prime buffering, you must clear the Amazon Prime app cache from your device. Clearing the app’s cache files will help to get rid of bugs that are causing the buffering error in the software. Also, you will clear a lot of space from the app, leaving fewer faulty files in the app. So, clear the Amazon Prime app’s cache on your smart TV using the steps given below:
1. To start with, press the Home button of your Smart TV remote.
2. Now, go into the Settings section.
3. Launch the Apps section and select System Apps.
4. Select the Amazon Prime Video application.
5. Now, select Clear Cache to clear cache files from your Amazon account.
Also Read: How Do I Cancel Starz Subscription on Amazon
Method 7: Disable VPN or Proxy
Virtual Private Network, also known as VPN or proxy servers of your device can also result in Amazon Prime slow streaming error. These servers might get detected by the region servers and there can be an interference with the content streaming due to poor latency or geo-restricted content streaming. In such a scenario, it is best suitable to disable these servers on your Windows PC. You can learn in detail about How to Disable VPN and Proxy on Windows 10 with our guide.
Method 8: Update DNS Settings
You can also use your device’s DNS settings to resolve Amazon Prime Video buffering issue. Google’s DNS address on your computer functions as a public domain name server all over the world by Google itself. Therefore, problems like internet connectivity, streaming buffering, and server connectivity can be sorted out easily. You can change DNS settings on your PC with the help of our guide on 3 Ways to change DNS settings on Windows 10.
Also Read: Fix Your Computer Appears to be Correctly Configured but DNS Not Responding in Windows 10
Method 9: Reinstall Amazon Prime Video App
One of the last solutions, in order to know how to fix Amazon Prime buffering, is by reinstalling the app on your computer. Reinstallation of the app will help you get rid of corrupt files or data that might be interfering with the app’s content. So, perform the reinstallation process of Prime Video by following the steps below:
1. Launch Windows Settings by pressing Win + I key together.
2. Now, open the Apps section.
3. Next, search the Amazon Prime Video app from the list and click on Uninstall.
4. Confirm the uninstallation process and reboot the PC.
5. Now, launch the Microsoft Store.
6. In the search bar, enter Amazon Prime Video.
7. Click on Get to download Prime Video for Windows.
Method 10: Contact Prime Video Support
Lastly, you can contact the professional help from Prime Video Support if you still have not been able to fix Amazon Prime Video freezing. There might be some content delivery network (CDN) issues in your region that can be resolved only with technical support. So, contact the professionals and ask the agent to resolve Amazon Prime slow streaming issue as soon as possible.
This brings us to the end of our guide on Amazon Prime Video buffering. We hope that we were able to answer all your related queries and doubts in the doc. If you have other questions to ask or suggestions to give then please leave your comments below.