By reading the title, you might be wondering what the Alps SetMouseMonitor error is. To put it in simple terms, this error will prevent the inbuilt keyboard and mouse on your Windows PC to be functional. However, the other hardware devices connected to the PC may be functional at all times. The major reason for this error is due to the installation of the recent upgrade of Windows 10 OS. Now the basic question arises, how to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor issue on your PC? The article comprises the methods that can be used to fix the error and use the inbuilt devices.
How to Fix Alps SetMouseMonitor Error in Windows 10
Here we have listed all the possible troubleshooting methods to fix the error.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
As a simplistic approach to fixing the error with the Alps SetMousePointer, you can try implementing the basic troubleshooting methods given below.
1A. Power Cycle your PC
The first approach to fix the error on your PC is to power cycle the PC and start the PC afresh.
1. Press the Alt + F4 keys simultaneously, select the Shut down option and hit the Enter key.
2. Unplug your PC from the power socket and re-plug it after 70 seconds.
3. Press the power button to turn on your Windows PC and check if the issue is resolved.
1B. Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
If there are any issues with the hardware or device drivers on your Windows PC, you may experience the error. To fix this, you can run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to check for errors. Read the article using the link given here to know about using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
1C. Drain Battery
If none of the methods work out to solve the error, you can try draining the battery of the PC or Laptop. Increase the Brightness on your Laptop and let it run till the battery is drained out completely to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor error.
Method 2: Perform Clean Boot
The error may be also caused due to some glitches or issues on your PC. You can perform a clean boot on your PC to fix the issue. Read the article on the link given here to learn the method to clean boot your Windows PC.
Also Read: Fix Mechanical Keyboard Double Typing in Windows 10
Method 3: Disable Alps SMBus Monitor Service
If the Alps SMBus Monitor Service is enabled on your PC, you may face an issue in using the keyboard or mouse. You can follow the steps to disable the service on your PC to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor error.
1. Press the Windows key, type System Configuration and click on Open.
2. Navigate to the Services tab and uncheck the Alps SMBus Monitor Service in the list.
3. Click on the Apply and then on the OK buttons to confirm the selection.
4. Click on the Restart button for the new changes to take effect.
Method 4: Delete Apoint File
The issue with the Alps device driver can be fixed by deleting the executable file of the Apoint2K folder in Windows Explorer.
Step I: Backup Apoint2K Folder
As a first step, you can back up the Apoint2K folder to another location on your PC to avoid loss of data.
1. Press the Windows+ E keys at the same time to open Windows Explorer on your PC.
2. Open the Apoint2K folder by navigating to the This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Apoint2K folder.
3. Right-click on the Apoint2K folder and click on the Copy option.
4. Press the Windows + D keys simultaneously to open Desktop, right-click on any space, and click on the Paste option.
Step II: Delete Apoint.exe File
The next step is to delete the executable file of the Apoint and check if the issue is rectified.
1. Open the Apoint2K folder by following the location path specified.
2. Right-click on the Apoint.exe file and click on the Delete option.
Note: If the issue is not resolved, delete the Apoint2K folder.
3. Restart your PC from the START menu.
Method 5: Update Alps Device Driver
As the issue is with the Alps device driver, you can try updating it to the latest version to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor error.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager, then click on Open.
2. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices, right-click on the Alps device driver, and click on the Update driver option.
3. Click on the Search automatically for drivers option.
4. You can see the message for the updated drivers.
Note: If there is an update available, you will be prompted to download the driver update.
Also Read: Fix Windows Found Drivers for Your Device but Encountered an Error
Method 6: Reinstall Device Drivers
One of the possible causes for the error can be an outdated or faulty device driver for the hardware devices. To fix this issue, you can reinstall the device drivers on your PC.
Option I: Keyboard Driver
The method to reinstall the Keyboard driver to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor is discussed in this section.
1. Open the Device Manager control panel.
2. Double-click on Keyboards to expand the drivers.
3. Right-click on the keyboard driver and select the Uninstall device option.
4. Click on the OK button on the confirmation window.
5. Click on the Yes button to restart your PC.
6. Windows will reinstall the driver automatically on your PC.
Option II: Touchpad Driver
The method to reinstall the touchpad driver on your PC is explained in this section.
Note: This option can be only used if the touch functionality is available on your PC or Laptop.
Step I: Uninstall Touchpad Driver
The first step in this method is to uninstall the existing version of the touchpad driver on your PC using the Device Manager app.
1. Open the Device Manager control panel.
2. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices section, right-click on the touchpad driver, and click on the Properties option.
3. Move to the Driver tab and click on the Uninstall Device button.
4. Click on the Uninstall button on the confirmation message.
Note: You can check the Delete the driver software for this device option to remove the driver files permanently from your PC.
5. Finally, restart the PC from the START menu.
Step II: Reinstall Touchpad Driver
The next step is to reinstall the latest version of the touchpad driver on your PC from the official website to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Chrome and click on Open.
2. Open the official website of the driver manufacturing website (e.g. Asus) and select the details of the PC in the fields.
Note: For explanatory purposes, the Asus driver manufacturing website is chosen.
3. Click on the Driver & Utility option under the selected model type.
4. Select the Windows OS in the Driver & Tools section.
5. Click on the DOWNLOAD button in the Touchpad section and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Also Read: How to Enable Dell Keyboard Backlight Settings
Method 7: Update Device BIOS
If the BIOS setting on your PC is not updated to the latest version, you may encounter the error. To fix this issue, you have to update the device BIOS on your PC. Implement the steps provided in the link given here to know how to update the device BIOS.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why does the error message with Alps SetMouseMonitor pop up?
Ans. The error occurs mostly due to the latest upgrade on Windows 10 PC.
Q2. Can the glitch on the PC be a reason for the error?
Ans. Minor glitches on your PC may be a reason for the error and the functionality may be disabled on your PC. You can implement the methods given to fix the issue.
The methods to fix Alps SetMouseMonitor error are discussed in the article. Implement the methods given here and let us know your suggestions and queries on the same in the comments section.