HR round questions are common for most job interviews. Proper preparation will help you to complete the HR round successfully. An HR interview is designed to analyze the candidate’s strengths, personality, communication skills, and background.
Even if the employee performs well in the other rounds, there is a chance of not getting the job if he does not perform well in the HR interview round.
Below are some of the most common HR interview questions with answers, which will definitely be useful for you. Download this PDF to practice regularly.
Top 50+ HR Round Interview Questions & Answers for Freshers
Basic HR Interview Questions
1. Tell me about yourself.
Thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself.
My name is [Your name], and I am from [Place].
I have completed [Education] from [College Name] and I secured a CGPA of ……..
I scored an …… CGPA in my 12th standard and an ……… in my 10th standard.
My technical skills include …………………………………………[Your computer skills],
My extracurricular activities include [dancing, reading, and painting].
I have also participated in several donation camps, I am also a member of the Red Cross Society.
I see myself as a focused person, always working towards my goals effectively, and I am a team player and very optimistic in difficult times.
Thank you so much.
2. Why do want to join our company?
As a fresher, getting a job in a company like yours is an excellent opportunity for me. So that I can improve my skills and also perform my best.
I will give my 100% effort to the growth and development of the company.
3. What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
My strength is that I am a quick learner, a hardworking and highly disciplined person. I always finish my work on time and without mistakes.
Apart from that, knowing what my weakness is and getting out of it is also my strength.
My weakness is public speaking. I have no problem talking to a small group, but I become nervous speaking to a large group. I am working hard to get out of this.
4. What are your greatest achievements?
My biggest achievement is finishing my B.Tech without causing much financial burden for my family. I graduated with scholarships and part-time work income, depending on my family’s financial condition, which is a great accomplishment for me. From now on, I want to achieve greater achievements in my profession.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In the next five years, I want to be in a responsible position with more knowledge, skills, and experience than I have now. I’m prepared to work hard on that.
6. Why should we hire you?
So far I have theoretical knowledge. If I get this job, I will develop my skills in a very short period of time and contribute to the development and growth of the company.
I have basic skills for this position, but working in a reputable company like yours will help me improve faster.
7. Tell me about a gap in your resume.
Due to some financial issues in my family, I joined a temporary job after my graduation.
After I resolved my financial problems I left the job. From then on, I am looking for a job that matches my education and skills.
Meanwhile, I concentrated on improving my skills by taking online courses and reading books.
8. Why have your marks gone down after your 10th?
Until 10th grade, I only focused on my education. After my schooling, I concentrated on other aspects of life, such as sports and cultural events, and improved my other skills, such as leadership and communication.
It’s true that my grades are down, but as a person, I’ve learned a lot. And I think it helps me now in my professional journey.
9. Why should we hire you when your academic percentage is poor?
It is true that I have fewer grades, but I am still ahead in learning knowledge and skills. I may not succeed in putting my knowledge on paper. But I know how to use it practically in the real world.
10. Why do you want to change your career path?
Although my education is not suitable for this position, I do have a passion for it. I’m learning skills linked to this career gradually. Apart from what’s happened so far, I want to continue in the profession that excites me to give my best.
11. Why did you switch from science to commerce?
I used to like science as a child, but as I got older I started to like commerce more than science. I found my passion in commerce-related things like business, accountancy, and economics. That is the reason I have switched to commerce.
12. How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10?
As a fresher, I rate myself 7 because till now I have theoretical knowledge and I have to learn more I believe it is a continuous process.
13. How do you rate your communication skills on a scale of 1 to 10 and why
I rate my communication skills as 9. I am good at expressing my thoughts to others in a clear and concise manner. I believe it makes me a good team player as well.
14. What are your passions and interest outside of work?
I love music, traveling, and volunteering for charities in my spare time.
15. Explain how would you be an asset to the organization.
I will create more value for every rupee that the company invests in me and I will work hard for it. For this, if you improve your skills from time to time, use them in such a way that it is useful for the company.
Behavioral / Situational HR Interview Questions
What are behavioral questions?
Behavioral skills will help you test your behavior in different situations you have encountered in your life. It helps companies understand how you work under pressure and how you deal with stress and how you manage yourself in difficult conditions, etc.
16. Tell me about a time you handled a difficult situation.
Just two days before my B. Tech final year exams, I had a severe health problem. I was very worried about my exams because I prepared very well for a long time. But by the grace of God due to the control of my food and taking medication at the right time, I was able to attend my examinations. Even though I was not fully recovered, I still obtained good marks in my exams.
17. Tell me about a time when you are not satisfied with your performance.
I was not satisfied with my NEET entrance rank because if I had worked a little harder, I would have obtained a better rank.
18. Can you tell me about a time you showed leadership?
At the time of my college fest. I was an event coordinator and I succeeded in communicating and delegating the tasks effectively so that the fest has become a successful event.
19. How much supervision do you want or need?
I feel full responsibility for everything I do and the results. So I like to do my job by myself, whether I’m supervised or not. But if I need advice, I’ll go for help.
20. Tell us about a time when you worked independently without close supervision or support
Since childhood, I used to study without any supervision from my parents and teachers. But I used to take guidance from my teachers when I needed it, but when it comes to studies I didn’t need any supervision.
21. Can you tell me about a time when you had to ask for help?
When I need any help I take help from my friends and seniors. It may be related to career guidance (or) any important decision.
22. How did you handle disagreements with your manager?
If my manager disagrees I will try to explain the facts and results of that work. But I respect the opinions of my managers because they are more experienced. But if I believe something not going well, I will definitely try to convince my manager.
23. How do you handle an angry customer?
First I listened to the customer’s problem, and take every step to solve it and make the customer happy. If I am unable to resolve the problem, I will explain the reason until the customer feels my sincere intention for solving their problem.
24. How did you handle meeting a tight deadline?
I break my tasks into small pieces and set a deadline for each piece. And I constantly track my work with my goals. And I believe the quote that “There is only one way to eat an elephant: a bite at a time”.
25. How do you deal with criticism?
I never get angry with any criticism. I take it as feedback if it is really genuine. I will ignore it if it is negative feedback made just for hurting me.
26. How do you deal with work pressure?
First, I identify the reasons for the work pressure. And I try to solve them by completing certain tasks, or taking any support from superiors and colleagues, etc.
27. How do you deal with missing data?
I always prefer to take backups of data, and I will be very careful about it. In case something unexpected happens I will use data recovery software or take the help of data recovery experts. But I don’t let that happen.
28. What was the toughest decision you have ever made?
Leaving my hometown to find a job is my toughest decision ever. But in view of my career and to support my family I took that decision.
29. What are your goals?
My goal is to gain more skill and experience in whatever field I am working and to be in a respectable position.
30. What motivates to you do a good job?
I am always a self-motivated person but good job security and a supportive environment will help me to do a good job.
31. Are not you overqualified for this position?
No, I don’t think I am overqualified for this position. As a fresher, I only have theoretical knowledge, but I want to gain practical experience. I consider this the first step for that.
32. Describe your ideal company, location, and job.
For me, an ideal company is one that offers a healthy and motivating workplace and good opportunities for growth.
The perfect job is one that gives me work satisfaction with benefits and opportunities.
When these two requirements are met, this is the best place for me.
33. How long you stay with us if hired?
As long as I have a job and monetary satisfaction & the company thinks my services are valuable until then I don’t think I need any job change.
34. Will you work under a bond of 2 years?
Yes, I can sign the bond as it is my dream job in my dream company.
(or) No, I cannot commit for two years in my current situation. But I promise I will give 2 months notice period if I want to leave.
35. What will you do if not selected for this interview?
I will take it as an experience, and I analyze what went wrong and rectify my mistakes.
36. Why there is a gap after your education?
Due to some family financial problems, I couldn’t able join my graduation after my 12th. After some time, when our financial condition became normal, I returned to complete my degree.
37. Who is your role model and why?
My father is my role model, I have learned so much from him. He taught me the value of time, hard work, and honesty. Like him, I want to be an ideal person for this society and for my family.
Opinion-Based HR Interview Questions
38. What is the difference between confidence and overconfidence?
If I think I can do it based on my strengths and abilities, that’s confidence. It is overconfidence to think that I alone can do without evaluating my capabilities.
39. What is the difference between hard work and smart work?
Hard work means taking long hours of time and more resources to complete a task. Smart work means doing work efficiently in less time with fewer resources.
40. Are you willing to relocate or travel?
Yes, I am willing to relocate. As a fresher, I have to gain some experience and skills so I don’t have any problem relocating. (or) I think I can manage to travel because I should take care of my parents. If possible please consider if your company has any transportation facility (or) travel allowances.
41. If you won 10$ million would you still work?
Yes, even if I win the lottery I still continue my work. Money can give me financial freedom, but I am happy doing what I love.
42. On a scale of 1 to 10 rate me as an interviewer
I don’t think I am the right person to rate you, because you’re more experienced and knowledgeable. If I have to give then it is 9 because you made me very comfortable during the entire interview, and I learned a lot in this interview.
43. How do you feel about working nights and weekends?
It is ok for me to do night shifts and weekends. (OR)
No, I cannot accept night shifts because my health doesn’t support me.
44. Have you ever considered starting your own business?
So far I have no such idea. Maybe I plan in the future, but as of now, my goal is to become a good employee with the best skills and experience.
(or) I want to start my own business one day, but for that, I need some experience and business knowledge. Maybe it take another 10 years to reach that level.
45. What do you know about our company?
After researching about your company, I learned that you are one of the fastest growing companies in …….. sector. You have a great reputation for your services/products and work culture as well.
46. Do you have any questions for me?
Yes sir, may I know how was my performance? If it is not good, please advise me on what I need to improve.
47. What motivates you to do the greater job at work other than the paycheck?
Success and job satisfaction will motivate me to do a greater job.
48. Are you open to working long hours?
Occasionally working long hours is not a big problem, but I always believe work-life balance is very important to achieve productive results in my work.
Brainstorming HR Interview Questions
49. Jessica’s mother has 4 children, North, South, and East, what is the 4th child’s name?
50. If you have 2 jars of 4 liters and 3 liters, how would you be able to get exactly 2 liters of water in the 4 liters jar?
- First, pour water into the 4 liters jar from the 3 liters jar, and space for 1 liter will remain in it.
- Now again fill the 3 liters jar and our water into the 4-liter jar and fill the 1-liter gap.
- Now the balance water in 3 liters jar is 2 liters.
51. If you have a 5-liter jug and a 3 liters jug, how would you measure exactly 4 liters?
- First, fill the 5-liter jug with 3 liters jug, now 2 liters gap will remain in the 5 liters jug.
- Now again fill that gap again with 3 liters jug. Now 1 liter of water remains in the 3-liter jug.
- Now empty the 5 liters jug and pour the remaining 1 liter of water into it.
- Now finally take water in 3 liters jug and pour it into the 5 liters jug. so the total water in 5 liters jug will consist of exactly 4 liters.
52. Three bulbs are in one room and three switches are placed in another room. How will find the matching switch bulb pair if you are allowed to enter the bulb’s room only one time?
- First, turn on one switch and wait for 2 minutes, later turn off it.
- Now turn on another switch and go to the room. Now you know the build related to that switch.
- The bulb which is hotter belongs to the first turned-on switch.
- And the balance bulb belongs to the remaining switch.
53. A doctor’s son’s father is not a doctor, how is this possible?
Answer: Son’s mother is a doctor.
54. Three boxes are labeled “Apples”, “Oranges”, and “Apples & Oranges”. Each label is incorrect. you are allowed to select only one fruit from any of the boxes. How can you label each box?
- First, take out all apples from the AO box and label the box as oranges. (Because only oranges remain in it)
- Now change the oranges box label to the AO label. (Because we already set the oranges box)
- And change the apple box label to the orrnages label.
- First, take out all oranges from the AO box and label the box as apples.
- Now change the apple box label to AO box.
- And change the orange box label to Apples.
55. Why are manhole covers round?
- Rond manhole covers will not fall into the hole if they are handled wrongly.
- Even the edges of the round manhole covers do not harm the vehicle tires.
Salary-Related HR Questions
56. How much salary do you expect?
I expect an amount as per the industry standards and my skills. As a fresher, my first priority is to get a job that helps me to improve my skill set. But whatever salary you offer as per your company norms I am fine with it.
57. How to bargain a salary as a fresher?
Although I am a fresher, I can learn all the skills related to this work very soon. So I am expecting a minimum of 20% more than your offered salary.