If you are a PC gamer, you know how important it is to have the right tools to get the most out of your gaming experience. One of the most popular tools for PC gamers is MSI Afterburner, which allows you to customize and monitor your gaming performance. Unfortunately, some users have reported that MSI Afterburner is not working on their Windows 10 computers. In this article, we will provide you with 14 ways to fix MSI Afterburner not working on Windows 10. We will discuss how to update your drivers, reinstall MSI Afterburner, and more. With these tips, you should be able to get your MSI Afterburner working again in no time.
14 Ways to Fix MSI Afterburner Not Working on Windows 10
1. Update MSI Afterburner
2. Reinstall MSI Afterburner
3. Check for Windows Updates
4. Check for BIOS Updates
5. Check for GPU Driver Updates
6. Disable Overclocking
7. Disable Unnecessary Background Applications
8. Disable Antivirus Software
9. Disable Firewall
10. Disable User Account Control
11. Check for Conflicting Software
12. Check for System File Corruption
13. Perform a Clean Boot
14. Reset Windows 10
MSI Afterburner is a popular graphics card software. It helps in enhancing the performance of monitoring the device information. The application is useful in overlocking and changing the default settings in the graphics card. Amid all these pros, people using the application have been facing MSI Afterburner not working Windows 10 issue. Sometimes, it resists opening and at other times it is unable to change the clock speed of the device. If you are also facing the same issue then you would be delighted to know that we have brought an insightful guide for you that will help you with ways to fix MSI Afterburner not working on your system.
Ways to Fix MSI Afterburner Not Working on Windows 10
Whether there is a single feature that you are unable to use or the whole application you are struggling with, there are a few reasons that cause this issue and you should be aware of these. So, let us discuss these reasons in brief:
- Multiple overlays running on your system at the same time can be the reason behind MSI Afterburner not working side by side. These overlays usually include that of Steam and NVIDIA and disabling them is the best possible solution.
- A built-in graphics card is the second reason causing the MSI Afterburner installation failed issue which can be resolved by disabling the integrated graphics card in BIOS and providing permission to an external graphics card for handling all graphics-related functions on your system.
Many methods help to fix MSI Afterburner not overclocking or not opening problem. Before jumping onto the methods, check if your cable connection is correct. Using the wrong port, for instance, GPU port for display might not work in Afterburner, therefore, make sure that the right cable is connected to the right one.
We have listed easy to complex methods in an ordered list to help you with fixing this issue. So, without waiting any further, let us start with the first one:
Method 1: Perform Clean Boot
The last resort for all your problems related to MSI Afterburner is to perform a clean boot on your system. Clean boot will restart the system with only important programs, leaving out all the buggy and corrupt applications. Read our guide on How to Perform Clean boot in Windows 10 to do the same.
Also Read: Fix AMD Radeon WattMan Crash on Windows 10
Method 2: Modify Compatibility Settings
Another method to help you with overcoming the MSI Afterburner not working side by side on your desktop is if the app is not set for compatible mode. So, try running it in compatibility mode and see if the issue resolves then:
1. Right-click on the MSI Afterburner app and select the Properties option.
2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for.
3. Then, check the Run this program as an administrator option under the Settings section. Finally, select Apply and then click OK to save the changes made.
Method 3: Update Windows
You can also eradicate MSI Afterburner not working by updating your Operating System. Always ensure if you have updated your Windows Operating System and if any updates are pending in action, use our guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update
Also Read: Fix AMD Error Windows Cannot Find Bin64 –Installmanagerapp.exe
Method 4: Update Graphics Driver
If the graphics driver of your system is outdated or is corrupt with bugs, then it may lead to interruption in MSI Afterburner overlocking. Therefore, updating them regularly is a must, you can know more about them with the help of our guide on 4 Ways to Update Graphics Driver in Windows 10.
Method 5: Disable IO driver
In case a low-level IO driver is enabled for the application, it might cause MSI Afterburner not working Windows 10 issue. Therefore, make sure that it is disabled. To do so, open the properties of MSI Afterburner and follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Double-click on the MSI Afterburner shortcut.
2. Click on the Settings icon.
3. Click on the box for Enable low-level IO driver to disable it.
4. Now that the IO driver is disabled, restart your system and run the MSI Afterburner application and see if the error is resolved.
Also Read: Fix AMD Catalyst Control Center Missing
Method 6: Tweak On-Screen Display Settings
If CPU temperature has been disabled for your system, that may be what is causing the MSI Afterburner to not open. So, disable it in Active hardware monitoring graphs in MSI Afterburner settings.
1. Launch the MSI Afterburner app.
2. Click on the settings of the MSI Afterburner app.
3. Click on the Monitoring tab, enable CPU temperature, and then click OK.
Method 7: Set Detection Level to High
If the issue of MSI Afterburn not being able to work is due to a particular game then tweaking executable settings of the game can be of help. So, try it out using the given steps:
1. Press the Windows key, type RivaTuner Statistics Server, and click on Open.
2. Click on the plus button at the bottom left of the window after the main window opens.
3. Navigate to C:\Program Files location path to browse for the game’s executable.
4. After adding the game executable to the program. Set the detection level to high.
Also Read: Fix NVIDIA Control Panel Missing in Windows 10
Method 8: Disable NVIDIA Overlay
As discussed earlier, multiple overlay tools running in the background can be causing MSI Afterburner not working side by side. Therefore, disabling them can be of help and you can take the following steps to perform the method on your system:
1. Hit the Windows key, type GeForce Experience, and click on Open.
2. Click on the settings icon.
3. Then, click on General.
4. Disable Allows you to record, stream, broadcast, and take screenshots of your gameplay.
5. Finally, click on Apply.
Method 9: Disable Steam overlay
NVIDIA overlay is not the only one to disable to get rid of the MSI Afterburner not working Windows 10 issue. You also need to disable Steam overlay which can interrupt the working of MSI Afterburner.
1. Press the Windows key, type steam and click on Open.
2. Click on LIBRARY.
3. Right-click on the game to open Properties.
4. In the GENERAL tab, clear the box for Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
5. Now that the Steam overlay is disabled, check if MSI Afterburner installation failed issue is resolved.
Also Read: Fix Graphics Card Not Detected on Windows 10
Method 10: Disable Graphics Card
Disabling the onboard graphics card and enabling an external graphics card to carry out display functions of the system helps in resolving the MSI Afterburner not opening issue. To open the BIOS settings read our guide on How to enter BIOS on Windows 10 and then follow the stated steps to disable the graphics card:
1. Navigate to the Advanced tab and select Onboard Devices Configuration.
2. Now, select Primary Graphics Adapter and press the Enter key.
3. Next, select Exit and click on Exit Saving Changes.
Once your system has rebooted, check if the problem is resolved.
Method 11: Disable ULPS Setup
In AMD crossfire setups, disabling ULPS saves voltage which assists in the smooth and uninterrupted working of MSI Afterburner. Here is how you can disable the ULPS setup:
1. Hit the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type regedit and press Enter key to launch the Registry Editor.
3. Click on the Edit tab and select Find.
4. Type EnableULPS in the box and click on Find Next.
5. Double click on EnableULPS.
6. Set the value from 1 to 0.
7. Now, search for the next EnableULPS value for cards by pressing F3.
Method 12: Hardware Modification
Another method to resolve MSI Afterburner overlocking issue is by enabling hardware modification, which has been proven to be effective in many cases. Below are the steps on how to allow the device for modifications:
1. Open the MSI Afterburner app by double-clicking on the shortcut.
2. Here, tweak FAN settings.
Also Read: How to Disable or Uninstall NVIDIA GeForce Experience
Method 13: Reinstall Afterburn Application
If for some reason MSI Afterburner installation failed on your device then try reinstalling the app. To do this, delete the pre-installed MSI Afterburner file, and follow the steps mentioned below for the same:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, and click on Open.
2. Set View by > Large icons, then click on Programs and Features setting.
3. Right-click on the MSI Afterburner app and click on Uninstall.
4. Then, restart the PC after clicking on Finish when the uninstaller completes the process.
5. Visit the Afterburner official site and click on the Download Afterburner button.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation on your PC.
7. Finally, after reinstalling the Afterburner on your computer. Check whether Afterburner not working Windows 10 issues is fixed.
Also Read: Fix Hearthstone Lagging in Windows 10
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What will happen if I uninstall MSI Afterburner?
Ans. Uninstalling MSI Afterburner will lead to the graphics card on your system running on the stock. Also, data stored in the app will be lost on uninstalling.
Q2. Does MSI Afterburner impact the performance in any way?
Ans. Yes, MSI Afterburner helps in enhancing the performance of your system by resolving the lagging issues, if any. Also, it improves performance by overlocking and optimization of the PC.
Q3. Can MSI Afterburner show CPU temperature?
Ans. Yes, MSI Afterburner can monitor CPU temperature by providing accurate data. Also, it helps in monitoring other temperature changes in your system too.
Q4. Does MSI work with every brand of graphics card?
Ans. Yes, MSI Afterburner works with every graphics card on your system. It is free of charge and works for all brands.
Q5. Why am I unable to overclock in MSI Afterburner?
Ans. If you are facing any issue with MSI Afterburner overclocking not working then it can be due to the enabled onboard graphics card, try to disable it to resolve the issue.
MSI Afterburner is a great application for peak performance of the system and to monitor the operating services. But, at times the application might act up and stop working. We hope that our guide helped resolve this issue and you were able to fix MSI Afterburner not working on Windows 10. Let us know which one of these 14 methods was the most helpful for you. If you have any further queries or suggestions to give, please leave them below in the comments section.
14 Ways to Fix MSI Afterburner Not Working on Windows 10
MSI Afterburner is a popular overclocking software for Windows 10 that allows users to overclock their graphics cards. Unfortunately, some users have reported that MSI Afterburner is not working on their Windows 10 computers. If you’re having this issue, don’t worry. Here are 14 ways to fix MSI Afterburner not working on Windows 10.
1. Update MSI Afterburner
The first thing you should do is make sure that you have the latest version of MSI Afterburner installed. To do this, open the MSI Afterburner application and click on the “Check for Updates” button. If there is an update available, it will be downloaded and installed automatically.
2. Reinstall MSI Afterburner
If updating MSI Afterburner doesn’t work, you should try reinstalling it. To do this, open the Control Panel and go to “Programs and Features”. Find MSI Afterburner in the list of installed programs and click on “Uninstall”. Once it’s uninstalled, download the latest version of MSI Afterburner from the official website and install it.
3. Disable Antivirus Software
Sometimes, antivirus software can interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, you should try disabling your antivirus software temporarily and then try running MSI Afterburner again. If it works, you should add MSI Afterburner to the list of exceptions in your antivirus software.
4. Disable Firewall
Your firewall can also interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, you should try disabling your firewall temporarily and then try running MSI Afterburner again. If it works, you should add MSI Afterburner to the list of exceptions in your firewall.
5. Run MSI Afterburner as Administrator
Sometimes, running MSI Afterburner as an administrator can help fix the issue. To do this, right-click on the MSI Afterburner shortcut and select “Run as Administrator”. If this works, you should make sure that MSI Afterburner is always run as an administrator.
6. Disable Overclocking
If you’re having issues with MSI Afterburner, you should try disabling any overclocking settings you have enabled. To do this, open MSI Afterburner and click on the “Settings” button. Then, go to the “General” tab and uncheck the “Enable hardware overclocking” option.
7. Disable On-Screen Display
The On-Screen Display (OSD) feature of MSI Afterburner can sometimes cause issues. To fix this, open MSI Afterburner and click on the “Settings” button. Then, go to the “General” tab and uncheck the “Enable On-Screen Display” option.
8. Disable Unnecessary Services
Sometimes, certain services can interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, open the Run dialog box (Windows + R) and type “services.msc”. Then, find the services related to MSI Afterburner and disable them.
9. Disable Unnecessary Programs
Certain programs can also interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, open the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and go to the “Startup” tab. Then, find the programs related to MSI Afterburner and disable them.
10. Update Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can also cause MSI Afterburner to not work properly. To fix this, open the Device Manager (Windows + X) and go to the “Display Adapters” section. Then, right-click on your graphics card and select “Update Driver”. Follow the on-screen instructions to update your graphics drivers.
11. Disable Windows Update
Sometimes, Windows Update can interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, open the Run dialog box (Windows + R) and type “services.msc”. Then, find the “Windows Update” service and set it to “Disabled”.
12. Disable Windows Defender
Windows Defender can also interfere with MSI Afterburner and cause it to not work properly. To fix this, open the Settings app (Windows + I) and go to “Update & Security”. Then, go to the “Windows Security” section and click on “Virus & threat protection”. Finally, click on “Manage settings” and turn off “Real-time protection”.
13. Reset MSI Afterburner Settings
If none of the above methods work, you should try resetting MSI Afterburner to its default settings. To do this, open MSI Afterburner and click on the “Settings” button. Then, go to the “General” tab and click on the “Reset” button.
14. Perform a Clean Boot
If all else fails, you should try performing a clean boot. To do this, open the Run dialog box (Windows + R) and type “msconfig”. Then, go to the “Services” tab and check the “Hide all Microsoft services” option. Finally, click on “Disable all” and restart your computer.