Many times, when you open Roku TV to watch your favorite TV shows and movies, you find it stuck on one screen, sometimes you may even see Roku TV restarting on its own. Roku TV freezing and restarting is a common issue that affects the entertainment experience for many people. Roku TV keep freezing issue can be caused by several factors, including incorrect settings and incompatible HDMI cables. However, if Roku TV freezing on Netflix, then the issue may be application related and not with the Roku TV itself. If your TCL Roku TV keeps restarting, this is the perfect guide for you. In this guide, we will explain the reasons and discuss the methods to fix the issue with Roku TV.
How to Fix Roku TV Freezing and Restarting Issue
Continue reading this article to know about the solutions for Roku TV keep freezing problem in detail.
What are the Reasons for Roku TV Freezing and Restarting Issue?
There can be various reasons for freezing issues with Roku devices. The following are some of the common reasons for this error.
- Improper HDMI connections or faulty HDMI cables are common reasons for this error.
- A bad internet connection can also trigger freezing issues with Roku devices.
- Compatibility issues with earphones or headphones may also cause the screen to freeze while streaming.
- Improper loading of the Roku device can also cause this issue.
- Changes made to the background or screensaver settings can also trigger freezing issues.
- The bandwidth saver feature can also cause the Roku to freeze.
- Incorrect use of the Roku remote can also contribute to the error.
- Auto-adjust refresh rate settings can also cause this error on many Roku devices.
- Bugs in various apps that are installed on a Roku device can cause freezing issues while streaming videos.
- An outdated version of the Roku system can also trigger this error.
- Various underlying issues with the Roku device can cause many errors, including the screen freezing issue.
In the following guide, we will discuss methods to resolve Roku TV keep freezing and restarting issue.
Method 1: Troubleshoot HDMI Connection
One of the common reasons for Roku TV freezing on Netflix is improper HDMI cable connections. If your HDMI cables are not properly connected to the Roku device, you may experience AV sync issues, blackouts, and the TCL Roku TV restarting and freezing. It is recommended to use HDMI cables that support HDCP 2.2 connections. HDCP connections allow you to stream certain channels, such as Amazon Prime and Netflix. Therefore, to avoid freezing and restarting issues on your Roku device, you can check your HDMI cable connections. If you find a faulty cable, replace it with a new cable to avoid the issue.
Method 2: Troubleshoot Internet Connection
One of the first things that you can do to fix Roku TV freezing and restarting issue is to check if your WiFi router is connected properly. Generally, network connection errors are caused by improper router connections. Therefore, if your Roku device continues to have freezing or restarting issues, make sure that you have connected your WiFi router properly. If your WiFi router did not cause the Roku device to freeze, the problem could be with your internet provider. To use the internet services, you must have an active internet plan on your device. If your internet service is slow or unstable, you should read Slow Internet Connection? 10 Ways to Speed up your Internet! guide to find ways to speed up your internet.
Also Read: Android TV vs Roku TV: Which is Better?
Method 3: Disconnect Headphones or Earphones
If you have connected your earphones or headphones to the Roku device, you may experience Roku TV keep freezing issues with your device. Roku TV freezing on Netflix can occur due to compatibility issues with your headphones. Therefore, if your TCL Roku TV keeps restarting and freezing, consider removing the headphones to fix the issue.
Method 4: Verify Possible Interferences
Often, many users complain that when they play games on the Nintendo Switch, they also experience Roku TV freezing and restarting issue. This problem occurs when the wireless transmission between the Nintendo Switch and the WiFi router interferes with the Roku TV and makes it unresponsive. Therefore, if you have been playing games on the Nintendo Switch or using other such consoles, make sure that they are not interfering with the Roku TV.
Method 5: Power Cycle Roku Device
If your Roku device freezes on the home screen when you open it, it can be due to improper loading of the device. You can try to fix the freezing issue by power cycling your Roku device. Power Cycle requires you to turn off the Roku device by unplugging it. Once you unplug the device, wait a few minutes, and plug it in again. You can also manually restart the Roku device by using these simple methods.
1. On your Roku home page, navigate to the Settings tab and select System.
2. Here, select the Power option.
3. Now, select System Restart.
4. Finally, select Restart.
Method 6: Revert Changes to Roku Settings
If you have recently made changes to the background or screensaver settings on your Roku device, you may find that Roku TV keep freezing during streams. Many users have noticed that their Roku device may run into various issues, such as Roku TV freezing on Netflix when the settings are changed. Therefore, if you have made any changes to the default settings, revert them to fix TCL Roku TV keeps restarting and freezing.
Also Read: 19 Amazing Hacks to Hack Roku to Get Free Channels
Method 7: Turn Off Bandwidth Saver
When you leave your Roku device unattended for over 4 hours, the bandwidth saver automatically makes your device go into sleep mode. However, when you wake your device from sleep mode, it may not work properly, and the screen may freeze. To fix Roku TV freezing and restarting issue, you can try to turn off the bandwidth saver on your Roku device.
1. On your Roku device, go to the Settings tab and open Network.
2. Locate and click on the Bandwidth saver, and disable it.
3. Finally, Restart your Roku device.
Method 8: Repair Roku Remote
Many users have reported that freezing issues with Roku devices can occur due to improper pairing of the Roku remote. Therefore, if you are having a freezing or restarting issue on your Roku device, you can try to re-pair your remote with the device.
1. Turn off the Roku device and remove the batteries from the Roku remote.
2. Now, wait for a few minutes, then plug in the batteries, and turn on the Roku device.
3. Long press the pairing button until you see a blinking LED light. You should be able to locate the pairing button next to the battery compartment on your remote.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the remote.
Also Read: Fix Roku Low Power Error
Method 9: Turn Off Auto-Adjust Refresh Rate Settings
Auto-adjust refresh rate allows your Roku device to automatically adjust the frame rate of your device. This feature is generally helpful. However, the same feature can cause various issues with your Roku device’s display. Many users found that the auto-adjust refresh rate settings were the prime reason for their Roku device freezing or refreshing. Therefore, you should consider turning the auto-adjust refresh rate settings off on your device to fix Roku TV freezing and restarting issue.
1. Navigate to Settings, and then select System.
2. Here, select Advanced System Settings.
3. Now, select Advanced Display Settings and Turn OFF the Auto-adjust Display Refresh rate.
4. Finally, Restart your Roku device.
Method 10: Troubleshoot Apps or Channel Issues
Sometimes the freezing issue is not caused by Roku device malfunctions, but rather by the apps that you are streaming on it. Netflix and Sling TV are infamous for causing this issue with Roku devices. Usually, if an application is not working properly or has bugs, it can cause the stream to freeze. Generally, these issues get fixed on their own as you update the applications. However, at times, you need to fix the issue immediately. To resolve Roku TV keep freezing issue, reinstall these problematic applications on your Roku device.
1. On the Roku Home screen, locate and hover over the problematic App/channel.
2. Press the * button on your remote to open Settings.
3. Navigate and select the Remove channel option from the list.
4. Finally, select Remove to confirm the process.
5. Then, restart your Roku device.
6. Reinstall the app from the app store on your Roku device.
If this method does not fix Roku TV freezing on Netflix issue, move on to the next method.
Also Read: How to Cancel My Roku Account Subscriptions
Method 11: Update Roku Device
If your Roku device is outdated and new updates are not installed, you should consider manually checking for updates to fix TCL Roku TV keeps restarting issue. If the device is not updated, it may get infected by bugs that can lead to Roku TV freezing and restarting issue.
1. Navigate to Settings.
2. Locate and select System, and then System update.
3. Finally, select Check now.
Roku will search for the latest updates and install them on your device.
Method 12: Reset Roku Device
If the previous methods don’t work and the issue persists, it may be because of other underlying issues. You can perform a factory reset on your Roku device to fix these issues. Follow our article on how to hard and soft reset Roku.
Also Read: Fix Disney Plus Not Working on Roku
Method 13: Contact Roku Customer Support
If resetting the Roku device to its default settings does not help and you can’t figure out how to fix the Roku TV freezing issue. You can try to connect with Roku customer support to figure out a solution for the issue. You can visit the official Roku support page to figure out a solution for the issue or contact a Roku representative for more help.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is my Roku TV not working?
Ans. There can be several reasons for Roku TV to not work, such as an outdated version of the system software or a bad internet connection.
Q2. How do I fix the Roku TV stuck on the homepage issue?
Ans. You can try to fix this issue by various methods, such as restarting your Roku TV or removing your headphones.
Q3. What causes Roku TV to freeze?
Ans. Bugs with the installed applications can cause Roku TV to freeze during the streaming of a video.
Q4. Can I install applications on Roku TV?
Ans. Yes, various streaming apps can be installed on Roku TV. Apps like Netflix and Sling TV are available to install on Roku TV.
Q5. Can Netflix cause Roku TV to freeze?
Ans. If the Netflix app is not working properly or experiencing bugs, it can cause the screen to freeze during streaming.
We hope this guide was helpful to you and you were able to fix Roku TV freezing and restarting issue. Let us know which method worked for you. If you have any suggestions or queries for us, please let us know in the comment section.